Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driskell vs Barkley
(08-10-2018, 10:53 PM)Steve Wrote: I like Driscoll a lot....
he looked really good in a preseason game last year too....
I think it was against the 49ers..?

if Dalton went down, Driscoll could fill in fine...
he's 6' 4"s, smart, good arm, & fast.....
relax.....

If you like him, a lot.  At least learn how to spell his name...    LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I vote youth and upside. We need to think about a weak qb draft next year and try to develop Driskel. We already started to put in the work.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I am thinking that unless Barley shows himself much better in the next preseason game, that our backup QB is not currently on the roster. I don't think you can go into this season with either guy. Give it a couple weeks to settle, but the Bengals have signed a vet before the season in the past.
Reply/Quote
Driskel responded better under pressure. Barkely needs his release papers ASAP so Driskel gets reps. I still think Teddy Bridgewater can be had for Core and a conditional draft pick. It is a risk though. There are still questions about Bridgewater's condition.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Why this organization shelled out money for Matt Barkley over Collin Kaepernick is beyond me.  Kaepernick has at least an outside chance of winning an NFL game without being surrounded by ethereal, otherworldy beings as teammates.  8 TDs to 18 picks is the anti-Foles stat line. 
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 09:43 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Sensitive?   Cool  Do you REALLY BELIEVE that Brown will release Barkley and Driskell, and sign someon else, which is what you indicated as being accurate, or was it an attempt at comedy??  IF you sincerely believe that's what they will do, then I sincerely apologize!  Wink

I would hope the old man is out of the roster decision business.  Let the coaches, who understand football, make those calls.

MB needs to stay in his penthouse and run the business side of the show only.  Hell, even if he knew the game (which he obviously doesn't), how in the world can you make assessments sitting in a golf cart!
Reply/Quote
Better question is who is out there available as a QB..............besides Colin K?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Cut both Barfley and Drickell. Promote Quinton Flowers to 2nd string qb. If Dalton goes down, run a spread/wildcat offense.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/08/11/bengals-notes-barkleys-stats-lie-day-camp/968679002/

The line of backup quarterback Matt Barkley didn’t look like one worth ripping out of the game book and putting on the front of the fridge.

In his first game with the Bengals, Barkley finished 5 of 13 for 64 yards and a passer rating of 54.6. That rating looked even more pedestrian next to Andy Dalton’s 116.7 and Jeff Driskel’s 118.8.

Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor didn’t think the numbers told the story.

“I was a little bit surprised how the numbers turned out because my feel on gameday was Matt played better than what his numbers were,” Lazor said. “I think our production will keep going up.”

The production he saw involved Barkley driving for a field goal at the end of the first half and Driskel driving for the game-winning touchdown at the end of regulation. Those situations are invaluable in evaluation.

“I thought they both did a fantastic job,” Lazor said. “Now you are putting a guy in as much of a pressure situation as you can. The communication was excellent, the poise was excellent. Matt got the ball with 22 seconds at the minus 49 and got it all the way down to the plus 11. Fantastic. Jeff got it with the game on the line, might have been over three minutes but we treated it as a hurry-up drive. Then we happened to get down there in six plays and score. That was as good of a test as you could play out. I thought they both passed that.”
Reply/Quote
I think Driskell beats out Barkley, and we bring someone in from the outside at cut down day to replace Barkley, I believe we will carry 3 Qb's this year.

Guys that we could get on cut day:

1) Joshua Dobbs or Landry Jones- Steelers will cut 1 of them.
2) Brett Hundley
3) Matt McGloin
4) Mike Glennon
Reply/Quote
Bridgewater, Glennon, Bray. There are others out there. Barkley looked awful. I like Driskell but not totally comfortable if he's the guy one play away.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:12 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/08/11/bengals-notes-barkleys-stats-lie-day-camp/968679002/

The line of backup quarterback Matt Barkley didn’t look like one worth ripping out of the game book and putting on the front of the fridge.

In his first game with the Bengals, Barkley finished 5 of 13 for 64 yards and a passer rating of 54.6. That rating looked even more pedestrian next to Andy Dalton’s 116.7 and Jeff Driskel’s 118.8.

Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor didn’t think the numbers told the story.

“I was a little bit surprised how the numbers turned out because my feel on gameday was Matt played better than what his numbers were,” Lazor said. “I think our production will keep going up.”

The production he saw involved Barkley driving for a field goal at the end of the first half and Driskel driving for the game-winning touchdown at the end of regulation. Those situations are invaluable in evaluation.

“I thought they both did a fantastic job,” Lazor said. “Now you are putting a guy in as much of a pressure situation as you can. The communication was excellent, the poise was excellent. Matt got the ball with 22 seconds at the minus 49 and got it all the way down to the plus 11. Fantastic. Jeff got it with the game on the line, might have been over three minutes but we treated it as a hurry-up drive. Then we happened to get down there in six plays and score. That was as good of a test as you could play out. I thought they both passed that.”

Lazor is downplaying it. Driskel should move up to 2nd string QB and they should think of picking up another
backup after what everyone is saying and Barkley's numbers truly shown. He could not hold up against backups.

Get someone in here who can to at the very least backup Driskel.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 02:52 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Bridgewater, Glennon, Bray.  There are others out there.  Barkley looked awful.  I like Driskell but not totally comfortable if he's the guy one play away.

McCown should also be put on this list, he may be the odd man out in NY.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 12:05 AM)hotweales Wrote: I am thinking that unless Barley shows himself much better in the next preseason game, that our backup QB is not currently on the roster. I don't think you can go into this season with either guy. Give it a couple weeks to settle, but the Bengals have signed a vet before the season in the past.

What about Hopps and Malt? Will they show much better?

Anyways, am I the only person who thought Driskel played superbly? Screw the numbers, his pocket presence was fantastic, his mobility was excellent, decision-making was on point as well, but the main thing, his downfield and intermediate passes were all accurate and well-thrown.

I don't get it; even without the pick, he played as well or better than Andy, I felt.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping Driskell gets a shot with the 2s in the next game. Barkley was atrocious despite what Lazor saw out there. If Barkley gets #2 snaps, then I'm hoping we scour the waiver wire or trade block for a new back up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:46 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: What about Hopps and Malt? Will they show much better?

Anyways, am I the only person who thought Driskel played superbly? Screw the numbers, his pocket presence was fantastic, his mobility was excellent, decision-making was on point as well, but the main thing, his downfield and intermediate passes were all accurate and well-thrown.

I don't get it; even without the pick, he played as well or better than Andy, I felt.

The numbers I saw on Driskel seemed pretty good: 10 for 14 (71%), 140 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. Kid can dance his way out of trouble. While he was playing against backups, he was also playing with backups. I expect to see him with some of the 1's at least, and believe he will calm a few nerves.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:46 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: What about Hopps and Malt? Will they show much better?

Driskel picked up from last year.  He needs more reps.  Once he hits his groove, he is the most mobile winging it QB the Bengals have had  back there.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

I like Driskel a lot.   I get the idea that he's not a real good practice player and that they want him to be more of a pocket player and freelance less.

But he's got wheels and is really accurate on the run.   Play him with the ones after Andy's had his snaps and see what he does against the opponents' ones.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 12:55 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm hoping Driskell gets a shot with the 2s in the next game. Barkley was atrocious despite what Lazor saw out there. If Barkley gets #2 snaps, then I'm hoping we scour the waiver wire or trade block for a new back up.

I hope one step further and he plays with our #1's against the Cowboys #1's.

I am not worried about Andy and timing, plenty of time to work that out at practice so sit AD and let the kid play. A back up will not play against 2nd and 3rd team defenses if the starter gets hurt.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 01:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hope one step further and he plays with our #1's against the Cowboys #1's.

I am not worried about Andy and timing, plenty of time to work that out at practice so sit AD and let the kid play. A back up will not play against 2nd and 3rd team defenses if the starter gets hurt.

I wanna see Driskell out there whenever Andy goes out as well. Dalton probably won't play more than two series in this game and I wanna see what Driskell can do against some of the 1's still being on the field.

I have little faith in Barkley, there's a reason Barkley has been on 5 teams in 6 seasons or whatever and has a career 63 or something QB rating and it ain't everybody has failed to see his talent.
Reply/Quote