Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duane Brown
A very good left tackle. Houston is considering trading him/ offensive line is a huge issue with this team. It would be nice to pull the trigger on a trade that could help the team for once.
Reply/Quote
He's holding out isn't he which would likely mean that he'd expect a hefty contract here. He's also 32. I'm not sure the Bengals would be willing to pay his price.

But, take the contract stuff out of the equation and he'd be a huge upgrade on the field.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:15 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: A very good left tackle. Houston is considering trading him/ offensive line is a huge issue with this team. It would be nice to pull the trigger on a trade that could help the team for once.

I'd personally do it. But between trade compensation and Brown's contract demands I don't see it happening.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:30 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'd personally do it. But between trade compensation and Brown's contract demands I don't see it happening.

We might be able to get him for a later pick at this point from that side.

IF we did add him, then we wouldn't have to draft a Tackle early. The free agent Tackle market isn't great either.
Reply/Quote
The question becomes compensation. Houston probably wants a 1st Rd pick at a minimum. Do you give that for a 32 year old disgruntled LT? Folks will say "trade Hill" but Houston is all set at RB. They might go for a Geno swap now that Watt is down; do we do that?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The question becomes compensation. Houston probably wants a 1st Rd pick at a minimum. Do you give that for a 32 year old disgruntled LT? Folks will say "trade Hill" but Houston is all set at RB. They might go for a Geno swap now that Watt is down; do we do that?

You think Houston wants a 1st for him?

I think they just want to move him and end the drama.

With Watt breaking a bone in his leg...their season is over.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You think Houston wants a 1st for him?

I think they just want to move him and end the drama.

With Watt breaking a bone in his leg...their season is over.

What did we want for CP9 and his drama?

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The question becomes compensation. Houston probably wants a 1st Rd pick at a minimum. Do you give that for a 32 year old disgruntled LT? Folks will say "trade Hill" but Houston is all set at RB. They might go for a Geno swap now that Watt is down; do we do that?

Tough decision - at least I hope it is for them.   Given his age we might get away with a 2nd round pick.   I'd give that up if he's really that good.   We're a Smith injury away from a melt down, and possibly a Brown acquisition from a playoff run.

I don't know the guy that well.  But if he's really good, I'd pay the 2nd and the financial compensation in a heartbeat.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:15 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: A very good left tackle. Houston is considering trading him/ offensive line is a huge issue with this team. It would be nice to pull the trigger on a trade that could help the team for once.

Interesting idea.

The reason he's being considered for a trade is because he's been holding out for a new deal.
He just turned 32 years old at the end of August, so he's not some young buck.
He was also due $9.4 mill this year and $9.75 mill next year, so he wants a new deal that will give him $10+ mill per year. He'd probably want at least what Whitworth signed for in the offseason, which was $11.25 mill per year for three years.

Would the Bengals be willing to shell out that kind of money for a 32 year old who would be new to the system? Should they?
And is that worth what would likely be a high round pick?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:39 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What did we want for CP9 and his drama?

CP9 was a franchise QB. A little more valuable than a tackle.

I say we offer up Tyler Boyd. Or maybe they'll prefer one of our CB's. Could throw in Ogbuehi if they want him.

Of course this is all extremely far fetched.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd do it, sign him to a 2 year extension and let eifert walk.

11m at LT is worth way more than a similar cost at TE
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:39 AM)3wt Wrote: Tough decision - at least I hope it is for them.   Given his age we might get away with a 2nd round pick.   I'd give that up if he's really that good.   We're a Smith injury away from a melt down, and possibly a Brown acquisition from a playoff run.

I don't know the guy that well.  But if he's really good, I'd pay the 2nd and the financial compensation in a heartbeat.

He makes $9 million a year now and is holding out so the compensation would likely be $12+ million a year.

I don't see the Bengals doing that.

Joe Thomas is a guy we should try to trade for. The Browns seem to like to dump their veterans for picks.
Reply/Quote
This would only happen if the team was going all in to win the Super Bowl this year. They wouldn’t have rolled out all the kids this season if that’s what they were planning.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:45 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I'd do it, sign him to a 2 year extension and let eifert walk.

11m at LT is worth way more than a similar cost at TE

Kroft's performance over the last 2 games makes me more comfortable with that.

Heck, Eifert continually missing games is making me comfortable with that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:48 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Kroft's performance over the last 2 games makes me more comfortable with that.

Heck, Eifert continually missing games is making me comfortable with that.

The thing with Eifert is the more injuries he faces...the worse his performance will be when he actually plays. They're going to take his athleticism and you know he's likely not lifting weights now heavily.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He makes $9 million a year now and is holding out so the compensation would likely be $12+ million a year.

I don't see the Bengals doing that.

Joe Thomas is a guy we should try to trade for. The Browns seem to like to dump their veterans for picks.

Thomas and petty/hackenburg for mccarron?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: CP9 was a franchise QB. A little more valuable than a tackle.

I say we offer up Tyler Boyd. Or maybe they'll prefer one of our CB's. Could throw in Ogbuehi if they want him.

Of course this is all extremely far fetched.

And Brown is a franchise LT. A little more valuable than a second string WR with personal question marks. 

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing with Eifert is the more injuries he faces...the worse his performance will be when he actually plays. They're going to take his athleticism and you know he's likely not lifting weights now heavily.

Exactly. I've pretty much already written Eifert off as yet another sad Bengals "what could've been" player, ala Odell Thurman, Chris Henry and David Pollack.

Eifert had the talent to be a top 5 TE, but his body just doesn't want to cooperate.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:54 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. I've pretty much already written Eifert off as yet another sad Bengals "what could've been" player, ala Odell Thurman, Chris Henry and David Pollack.

Eifert had the talent to be a top 5 TE, but his body just doesn't want to cooperate.

It was always unrealistic to think a NFL player with a bad back would make it even half a season. Especially a tight end that gets beat up a lot.

I have 2 herniated discs and went into the hospital from lifting and too much basketball, which caused a flare up. 3 months later I'm doing push-ups, walking, and recumbent bike only, and still sore/stiff all the time. It's a chore to sit through anything that is more than 30-60 minutes.

Eifert ala 2015 is done. Maybe you can use him in the redzone as a receiving threat and limit the hits he takes. But I doubt he plays 12 games ever again in a season.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And Brown is a franchise LT. A little more valuable than a second string WR with personal question marks. 

Depends on how they view Boyd. Boyd wasn't exactly viewed as a chump coming out of college. He was a 2nd round pick for pete's sake. For all you know the Texans could've had him really high on their board. Maybe they need a slot guy. Even if they don't want Boyd, I did mention dealing them a CB and I wouldn't mind throwing in a pick, or even making a high pick a featured part of the deal. 

So who would you trade for Brown...or is this your roundabout way of suggesting our line is fine?
Reply/Quote