Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin "There's One Pie"
(01-31-2024, 10:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tobin is the most overrated front office guy in the league. If he lets Tee walk for nothing, then I'm done with him.

I'm sick and tired of losing our best ***** players because the Bengals don't want to guarantee money or spend up to the cap.

I hate to say it but I think Marvin was better at picking players than Tobin ever has been.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 10:19 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/1/31/24056988/dj-reader-very-important-part-2024-bengals-free-agents

He might play what 3 games this year? What's the point in keeping a guy that always gets injured?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 11:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: In retrospect they should have kept Whit but tbf almost no one plays as well as he did at that age.

They should've tagged Whit back to back if needed.
Reply/Quote
It’s foolish to think you HAVE to re-sign Higgins. Foolish. Of course the media types will rip the bengals for not re-signing Tee, but there’s a whole roster that needs help.

I can only think of the Manning Colts who had 2 elite guys on big contracts at the same time

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 03:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It’s foolish to think you HAVE to re-sign Higgins. Foolish. Of course the media types will rip the bengals for not re-signing Tee, but there’s a whole roster that needs help.

I can only think of the Manning Colts who had 2 elite guys on big contracts at the same time

WE have a TOP tier QB right he should be able to Elevate any WR we bring in.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 03:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It’s foolish to think you HAVE to re-sign Higgins. Foolish. Of course the media types will rip the bengals for not re-signing Tee, but there’s a whole roster that needs help.

It's not foolish to not re-sign Higgins, it's foolish to let him walk for nothing. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 06:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's not foolish to not re-sign Higgins, it's foolish to let him walk for nothing

What are you expecting that the team would get for him, at this point?  The world knows that he's either going to be another unhappy tagged player, or he's simply going to be a free agent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 04:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i believe we have mostly expected it would be hard to keep all 3 in Burrow Higgins and Chase  (without suffering elsewhere)

With the cap going up $15-20 million per year, I don't think it's going to be as hard as it used to.

That being said, we have to hit on our draft picks to be in a position to do stuff like this.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 08:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: With the cap going up $15-20 million per year, I don't think it's going to be as hard as it used to.

That being said, we have to hit on our draft picks to be in a position to do stuff like this.

It didn't seem like it was terribly hard to keep Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Manning. It was pretty hard to replace Marvin Jones though. In fact, they never did. Somebody posted Brandon LaFell's 2016 stats on here the other day without the context that AJ Green missed plenty of time that year. I'm sure Eifert did too, and
Tyler Boyd was a baby. In desperation we reached for John Ross the following year.

I know you can't keep everyone, but I'm not a fan of just letting guys who lived up to their hype or developed well just walk. To me you cut dead weight (Mixon and Pratt for starters), pony up some of that money that's laying around, and make Katie earn her money to make it all work.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What are you expecting that the team would get for him, at this point?  The world knows that he's either going to be another unhappy tagged player, or he's simply going to be a free agent.

If they decided to trade him after tagging him, I'd expect them to get something better than the future 3rd or 4th round comp pick we'd get in the 2026 draft.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 09:29 PM)jason Wrote: It didn't seem like it was terribly hard to keep Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Manning. It was pretty hard to replace Marvin Jones though. In fact, they never did. Somebody posted Brandon LaFell's 2016 stats on here the other day without the context that AJ Green missed plenty of time that year. I'm sure Eifert did too, and
Tyler Boyd was a baby. In desperation we reached for John Ross the following year.

I know you can't keep everyone, but I'm not a fan of just letting guys who lived up to their hype or developed well just walk. To me you cut dead weight (Mixon and Pratt for starters), pony up some of that money that's laying around, and make Katie earn her money to make it all work.

Cutting Pratt only saves 4M.  We do not have his replacement on the roster, not sure how wise that move would be....

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What are you expecting that the team would get for him, at this point?  The world knows that he's either going to be another unhappy tagged player, or he's simply going to be a free agent.

I'd be happy with a second-round pick. 

If a team trades for him they are 100% planning on re-signing him. Kind of like the AJ Brown situation a couple years ago. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 10:22 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So  just 3 year window and we are in trouble,  not good 

First of all, 3 years is an eternity in the NFL. Second, they're not "in trouble" in 2027 since the cap will be much higher so the hit remains about the same if not lower (depending on how much the cap goes up). Even right now, 50M isn't really a back breaker for an NFL team. Four years from now 50M will be like 35M today.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 10:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 0 idea why one would presume JB advocated "plans for Higgins".  JB cared about the plans of one person when he signed the biggest contract in the history of the NFL

Yeah, I know Burrow wants to win and all that, but the way I sees it Burrow gets paid, Chase is going to get paid, and Tee is set up to get paid more by another team that desperately needs him to be their #1 WR.  Keeping the band together would be great, but all 3 of them could sign for peanuts and our SB-certain year could be derailed by bad luck and injuries all the same.

The plan is to get paid and hope things can fall into place regardless...can't knock that.  Plus, Burrow shouldn't need 90% of our cap wrapped up in our offense to win, either...he's not a game-managing system QB.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 01:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I know Burrow wants to win and all that, but the way I sees it Burrow gets paid, Chase is going to get paid, and Tee is set up to get paid more by another team that desperately needs him to be their #1 WR.  Keeping the band together would be great, but all 3 of them could sign for peanuts and our SB-certain year could be derailed by bad luck and injuries all the same.

The plan is to get paid and hope things can fall into place regardless...can't knock that.  Plus, Burrow shouldn't need 90% of our cap wrapped up in our offense to win, either...he's not a game-managing system QB.

This is true, plus even when all 3 of them were healthy and productive, they still came up just short in the Superbowl.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 01:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is true, plus even when all 3 of them were healthy and productive, they still came up just short in the Superbowl.  

Oh also the NFL is rigged, so they could all sign for CFL scale and we'd still be oota luck! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 03:20 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I hate to say it but I think Marvin was better at picking players than Tobin ever has been.

Geez, I just had a flashback to how much fun I had saying MARVIN IS OUR GM!!!!! every time he made a classic Marvin blunder as our HC.  I bet everyone misses that.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 08:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: With the cap going up $15-20 million per year, I don't think it's going to be as hard as it used to.

The cap going up doesn't mean you just magically get more money to spend. All the players and their agents know the cap is going up too and negotiate accordingly. If the cap goes up 25%, a $10m/yr player will probably now cost you $12.5m/yr. If they know the cap is going to keep going up 10% of whatever, they're going to also calculate that in contract demands. They're not going to want to sign a 5 year deal and find themselves vastly underpaid after 2 years.

In 2021 there was only 1 WR making at least $21m/yr. In 2023 there were 8.
In 2021 there were only 19 OL making at least $15m/yr. In 2023 there were 31.

As the cap goes up, the cost of building a team will go up accordingly, and it's always going to be tough to invest so much in one small part of it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: WE have a TOP tier QB right he should be able to Elevate any WR we bring in.

And arguably he has.

Uzomah, Hurst, and even Hudson did relatively well in Burrow's offense despite being ~4th in targets.
UDFA Trenton Irwin has put up 547 yards and 5 TDs on just 55 targets the past two years. Higgins has typically had around 110 targets both seasons he played the whole year, which is about double what Irwin put up these past two years combined. If we double Irwin's production to reflect double the targets, he'd potentially be between 1000-1100 yards and around 10 TDs. He possibly could be the option at WR2 this year.
While Iosivas didn't have good YPR this past year, he did have 4 TDs on just 25 targets.

While we may not see a 1000+ yard guy replace Higgins, I'm pretty confident they could easily find someone in the 700-900 yard range who also can get 5+ TDs a season.

Increase the targets to the slot and/or TE as well to reduce the need for a stud outside WR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I suspect they re-sign Tee and let Tyler go.
Reply/Quote