Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin "There's One Pie"
If they continue to run this short passing game / screens / dink & dunk offense due to "taking what the defense is giving" then how important is a 110-target, 1,000 yard WR2? Irwin COULD be that guy in that type of offense, but I don't see him as any kind of down-the-field type guy who can even occasionally stretch a defense or take a short catch and turn it into a big gain. He's a possession guy through and through, in my opinion.

This is another reason why it's so important to have a viable threat at TE. When the defense takes away your outside receivers, you attack the middle of the field. When the defense has three good corners, as rare as that may be, that stymy your "Big 3" you need a guy who will make them pay for it. RB screens usually work better with TE(s) blocking than WRs, even if your WR are unselfish and are good at blocking. Play action works better.

Hudson did well in spot duty this season, but he's not a blocker. He's moved around a lot and not tasked with Sample's duties. We need a guy who can do BOTH so we can stop handcuffing our play calling with the predictable formation subbing.

They're either going to have to reload at WR (maybe a cheaper vet and a top-3-round draft pic?), or ole Zac is gonna have to tinker with his scheme to include the TE more in the passing game.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:08 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: If they continue to run this short passing game / screens / dink & dunk offense due to "taking what the defense is giving" then how important is a 110-target, 1,000 yard WR2? Irwin COULD be that guy in that type of offense, but I don't see him as any kind of down-the-field type guy who can even occasionally stretch a defense or take a short catch and turn it into a big gain. He's a possession guy through and through, in my opinion.

You may be projecting a little.  I'm not sure if the offense was meant to be "dink and dunk" as much as it was simply limited to accommodate Burrow's inability to move around on his injured leg.  Obviously, later in the season they had to go with more high percentage passes in order to allow Browning to keep the team competitive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:08 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: If they continue to run this short passing game / screens / dink & dunk offense due to "taking what the defense is giving" then how important is a 110-target, 1,000 yard WR2? Irwin COULD be that guy in that type of offense, but I don't see him as any kind of down-the-field type guy who can even occasionally stretch a defense or take a short catch and turn it into a big gain. He's a possession guy through and through, in my opinion.

This is another reason why it's so important to have a viable threat at TE. When the defense takes away your outside receivers, you attack the middle of the field. When the defense has three good corners, as rare as that may be, that stymy your "Big 3" you need a guy who will make them pay for it. RB screens usually work better with TE(s) blocking than WRs, even if your WR are unselfish and are good at blocking. Play action works better.

Hudson did well in spot duty this season, but he's not a blocker. He's moved around a lot and not tasked with Sample's duties. We need a guy who can do BOTH so we can stop handcuffing our play calling with the predictable formation subbing.

They're either going to have to reload at WR (maybe a cheaper vet and a top-3-round draft pic?), or ole Zac is gonna have to tinker with his scheme to include the TE more in the passing game.

Our TE’s 88 receptions Ravens 82.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You may be projecting a little.  I'm not sure if the offense was meant to be "dink and dunk" as much as it was simply limited to accommodate Burrow's inability to move around on his injured leg.  Obviously, later in the season they had to go with more high percentage passes in order to allow Browning to keep the team competitive.

Nothing wrong with a dink and dunk offense either.
Brady and Mahomes have thrown plenty of short passes and the receivers made players miss.
We should want the Bengals to be able to do the same.
Deep passes are lower chance to get completed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Nothing wrong with a dink and dunk offense either.
Brady and Mahomes have thrown plenty of short passes and the receivers made players miss.
We should want the Bengals to be able to do the same.
Deep passes are lower chance to get completed.

I agree, ball control eats a lot of clock and keeps your defense fresher.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You may be projecting a little.  I'm not sure if the offense was meant to be "dink and dunk" as much as it was simply limited to accommodate Burrow's inability to move around on his injured leg.  Obviously, later in the season they had to go with more high percentage passes in order to allow Browning to keep the team competitive.

Well the YPA has gone down steadily since Burrow and Chase lit the league on fire in 2021. I expect it to go up next season provided Burrow comes back healthy, but I don't expect it to go up drastically. At least not until we get this running game figured out!
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:51 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Well the YPA has gone down steadily since Burrow and Chase lit the league on fire in 2021. I expect it to go up next season provided Burrow comes back healthy, but I don't expect it to go up drastically. At least not until we get this running game figured out!

as long as the run game remain inneficient, expect defense to not allow the deep ball. It's gonna be more dink and dunk if Mixon continues to...do what he does on the ground Sick

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:55 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: as long as the run game remain inneficient, expect defense to not allow the deep ball. It's gonna be more dink and dunk if Mixon continues to...do what he does on the ground Sick

Bengals need to figure out how to utilize the short-medium game if the deep ball is being taken away.
They need guys who can get some YAC, not tackled at the LOS or only a few yards after catch is made.
And for the love of everything, stop trying to run the RB screen with a RB with little wiggle. Mixon is not the kind of guy who can turn that into a 10+ yard gain. It's not fooling anyone.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals need to figure out how to utilize the short-medium game if the deep ball is being taken away.
They need guys who can get some YAC, not tackled at the LOS or only a few yards after catch is made.
And for the love of everything, stop trying to run the RB screen with a RB with little wiggle. Mixon is not the kind of guy who can turn that into a 10+ yard gain. It's not fooling anyone.

you're gonna see chase borwn utilized that way, and that will help. But they always throw short to jamarr to try and get him to break a few tackles and get some yac

the deep balls will come back if the run game can perform well

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 03:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you're gonna see chase borwn utilized that way, and that will help. But they always throw short to jamarr to try and get him to break a few tackles and get some yac

the deep balls will come back if the run game can perform well

I'm also hoping we see more Charlie Jones. That dude's got speed and wiggle.
Iosivas also has some explosiveness.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 01:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect they re-sign Tee and let Tyler go.

Tylers gone regardless. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 03:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tylers gone regardless. 

They are Both gone if chase is gonna get paid Top WR money.
Reply/Quote
Because of the title of this thread, it's making me think of pie.
For those who have not had sweet potato pie, I highly recommend it, especially if you are a fan of pumpkin pie.
It's my preferred holiday pie.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 06:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Because of the title of this thread, it's making me think of pie.
For those who have not had sweet potato pie, I highly recommend it, especially if you are a fan of pumpkin pie.

If you're a fan of pumpkin pie, why eat somethingthat tastes like an inferior version of it rather than just eating delicious pumpkin pie?

Up there with sweet potato fries, why eat them when you can have tasty actual potato fries?

Get outta here with those nasty sweet potatoes, Ocho!   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 06:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you're a fan of pumpkin pie, why eat somethingthat tastes like an inferior version of it rather than just eating delicious pumpkin pie?

Up there with sweet potato fries, why eat them when you can have tasty actual potato fries?

Get outta here with those nasty sweet potatoes, Ocho!   Ninja

Bruh, sweet potato pie tastes even better than pumpkin!

Excited
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 11:38 AM)J24 Wrote: If we signed Bates we probably would not have resigned Pratt and we would have cut Hilton as well. Dax moves to slot and ADG starts at LB. This isn't me making an argument for those move or against those moves.

Personally I hope I never see ADG as a fulltime starter...
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 06:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Because of the title of this thread, it's making me think of pie.

hmmmmm Sweet Potato Pie....  insert homer noises
Reply/Quote