Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Stephen Smith on Bengals Coaching Search
Stephen Smith says he isn't saying Marvin Lewis isn't a good coach or Hue Jackson isn't a good coach.  He understands how bad Bengals were when Marvin Lewis came in, he gets that.  Still he says when a coach goes from 2003 to 2018 without winning a play-off game, any other franchise would have fired him 5 years ago.  It sends a message by Bengals owners to the Fans that they are not striving for excellence. That mediocrity is accepted. That the Bengals Fans can just shut up and pay their money no matter how bad the team is.  So Marvin should have been gone a long time ago.  As for Hue Jackson his 3 wins in 3 years at Cleveland does not earn him a head coaching job right away.  Marvin recommended him. To that Stephen Smith says Marvin couldn't win a play-off game, if I'm Bengals owners I don't want to hear a damn thing Marvin has to say about who replaces him.  When asked who Bengals will hire, he said the cheapest person and that is why they are the Bengals.

Now these are Stephen Smith words  on ESPN, not mine.  The video is on internet to watch. This is not an attack on The Fans.  In fact, he is saying Mike Brown needs to do more for the fans than what he is doing, but he doesn't expect much out of Mike Brown.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Sounds accurate.
Reply/Quote
Well, a position coach or coordinator is not going to get as much money as an experienced head coach, at least not right away.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:08 PM)kevin Wrote: Stephen Jackson says he isn't saying Marvin Lewis isn't a good coach or Hue Jackson isn't a good coach. He understands how bad Bengals were when Marvin Lewis came in, he gets that. Still he says when a coach goes from 2003 to 2018 without winning a play-off game, any other franchise would have fired him 5 years ago. It sends a message by Bengals owners to the Fans that they are not striving for excellence. That mediocrity is accepted. That the Bengals Fans can just shut up and pay their money no matter how bad the team is. So Marvin should have been gone a long time ago. As for Hue Jackson his 3 wins in 3 years at Cleveland does not earn him a head coaching job right away. Marvin recommended him. To that Stephen Jackson says Marvin couldn't win a play-off game, if I'm Bengals owners I don't want to hear a damn thing Marvin has to say about who replaces him. When asked who Bengals will hire, he said the cheapest person and that is why they are the Bengals.

Now these are Stephen Jackson words on ESPN, not mine. The video is on internet to watch.

Well i agree on Marv, don't listen to a damn thing he says. This is why i don't see Hue even having a chance, he was Marv's buddy. Also i don't know if he is right about us getting the cheapest guy to be our new HC. Seems different around here and i don't think Mikey is running things now. Katie, Troy, Paul and Duke are running things from what i am hearing and what i am concluding.

We needed to make this change years ago he is correct so i don't see us lowballing the new HC and screwing this up. We paid Geno and Dunlap just last year big dough and we need to back that investment with a high quality hire.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:08 PM)kevin Wrote: Stephen Jackson says he isn't saying Marvin Lewis isn't a good coach or Hue Jackson isn't a good coach. He understands how bad Bengals were when Marvin Lewis came in, he gets that. Still he says when a coach goes from 2003 to 2018 without winning a play-off game, any other franchise would have fired him 5 years ago. It sends a message by Bengals owners to the Fans that they are not striving for excellence. That mediocrity is accepted. That the Bengals Fans can just shut up and pay their money no matter how bad the team is. So Marvin should have been gone a long time ago. As for Hue Jackson his 3 wins in 3 years at Cleveland does not earn him a head coaching job right away. Marvin recommended him. To that Stephen Jackson says Marvin couldn't win a play-off game, if I'm Bengals owners I don't want to hear a damn thing Marvin has to say about who replaces him. When asked who Bengals will hire, he said the cheapest person and that is why they are the Bengals.

Now these are Stephen Jackson words on ESPN, not mine. The video is on internet to watch. This is not an attack on The Fans. In fact, he is saying Mike Brown needs to do more for the fans than what he is doing, but he doesn't expect much out of Mike Brown.

Do you mean Stephen A. Smith?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:17 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Well, a position coach or coordinator is not going to get as much money as an experienced head coach, at least not right away.

When asked who Bengals will hire, and that is Mike Brown,  he said the cheapest coach they can find and that is why they are the Bengals.  He didn't say position coach or coordinator starting pay.  He said Bengals will hire the cheapest coach they can hire.  Now I have been a fan since 1968, and that sounds like Mike Brown.  Team hasn't won a play-off game since Paul Brown died and Mike Brown took over. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Do you mean Stephen A. Smith?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:08 PM)kevin Wrote: Stephen Jackson says he isn't saying Marvin Lewis isn't a good coach or Hue Jackson isn't a good coach.  He understands how bad Bengals were when Marvin Lewis came in, he gets that.  Still he says when a coach goes from 2003 to 2018 without winning a play-off game, any other franchise would have fired him 5 years ago.  It sends a message by Bengals owners to the Fans that they are not striving for excellence. That mediocrity is accepted. That the Bengals Fans can just shut up and pay their money no matter how bad the team is.  So Marvin should have been gone a long time ago.  As for Hue Jackson his 3 wins in 3 years at Cleveland does not earn him a head coaching job right away.  Marvin recommended him. To that Stephen Jackson says Marvin couldn't win a play-off game, if I'm Bengals owners I don't want to hear a damn thing Marvin has to say about who replaces him.  When asked who Bengals will hire, he said the cheapest person and that is why they are the Bengals.

Now these are Stephen Jackson words on ESPN, not mine.  The video is on internet to watch. This is not an attack on The Fans.  In fact, he is saying Mike Brown needs to do more for the fans than what he is doing, but he doesn't expect much out of Mike Brown.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:08 PM)kevin Wrote:   When asked who Bengals will hire, he said the cheapest person and that is why they are the Bengals.

This is just the same tired crap everyone else who doesn't know what they are talking about spouts off. The Bengals pay their coaches well. In fact, Boomer was on the pre-game and they were talking about vacant HC jobs, and he was saying Cincinnati is the job to have because "you can come in here, make a lot of money, have relative job security for several years while you establish your system. If MB just wanted the cheapest coach, he would not have been paying Lewis as the 6th highest paid coach in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is just the same tired crap everyone else who doesn't know what they are talking about spouts off. The Bengals pay their coaches well. In fact, Boomer was on the pre-game and they were talking about vacant HC jobs, and he was saying Cincinnati is the job to have because "you can come in here, make a lot of money, have relative job security for several years while you establish your system. If MB just wanted the cheapest coach, he would not have been paying Lewis as the 6th highest paid coach in the league.

OK, just keep in mind he's not against the Fans, in fact he is stepping up for Bengals Fans in saying they deserve better than being the team with no play-off wins since 1990 season.  He is standing up for Bengals Fans who deserve BETTER. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:32 PM)kevin Wrote: OK, just keep in mind he's not against the Fans, in fact he is stepping up for Bengals Fans in saying they deserve better than being the team with no play-off wins since 1990 season.  He is standing up for Bengals Fans who deserve BETTER. 

I get that, I just get irritated at stuff that gets parroted with no truth to it.....
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
(01-07-2019, 05:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is just the same tired crap everyone else who doesn't know what they are talking about spouts off. The Bengals pay their coaches well. In fact, Boomer was on the pre-game and they were talking about vacant HC jobs, and he was saying Cincinnati is the job to have because "you can come in here, make a lot of money, have relative job security for several years while you establish your system. If MB just wanted the cheapest coach, he would not have been paying Lewis as the 6th highest paid coach in the league.

Yes sir.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:08 PM)kevin Wrote: Stephen Smith says he isn't saying Marvin Lewis isn't a good coach or Hue Jackson isn't a good coach.  He understands how bad Bengals were when Marvin Lewis came in, he gets that.  Still he says when a coach goes from 2003 to 2018 without winning a play-off game, any other franchise would have fired him 5 years ago.  It sends a message by Bengals owners to the Fans that they are not striving for excellence. That mediocrity is accepted. That the Bengals Fans can just shut up and pay their money no matter how bad the team is.  So Marvin should have been gone a long time ago.  As for Hue Jackson his 3 wins in 3 years at Cleveland does not earn him a head coaching job right away.  Marvin recommended him. To that Stephen Smith says Marvin couldn't win a play-off game, if I'm Bengals owners I don't want to hear a damn thing Marvin has to say about who replaces him.  When asked who Bengals will hire, he said the cheapest person and that is why they are the Bengals.

Now these are Stephen Smith words  on ESPN, not mine.  The video is on internet to watch. This is not an attack on The Fans.  In fact, he is saying Mike Brown needs to do more for the fans than what he is doing, but he doesn't expect much out of Mike Brown.

In the past.....he's certainly been right.  Here's to hoping change is on the horizon, it's all we really ever have under Scrooge.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:32 PM)kevin Wrote: OK, just keep in mind he's not against the Fans, in fact he is stepping up for Bengals Fans in saying they deserve better than being the team with no play-off wins since 1990 season.  He is standing up for Bengals Fans who deserve BETTER. 

Not really.  He just loves the sound of his own voice.  Stephen A. has one agenda--Stephen A.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I get that, I just get irritated at stuff that gets parroted with no truth to it.....

No one outside of probably 3 people on earth even know who will pick our HC.  I see lots of us fans trying to convince ourselves that Mike Brown has seen the light at the age of 84 and is finally yielding the final say.

Who knows the truth.  Its not for us to know.  Other fans, maybe.  Us?  Nope.  

We hope Mike Brown stops bring Mike Brown like Bears fans yesterday hoped Cody Parkey was done hitting the upright. Fingers crossed
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No one outside of probably 3 people on earth even know who will pick our HC.  I see lots of us fans trying to convince ourselves that Mike Brown has seen the light at the age of 84 and is finally yielding the final say.

Who knows the truth.  Its not for us to know.  Other fans, maybe.  Us?  Nope.  

We hope Mike Brown stops bring Mike Brown like Bears fans yesterday hoped Cody Parkey was done hitting the upright.  Fingers crossed

We've got to hope, it's all we've got.
Reply/Quote
The cold hard truth is no matter who the coach is, we will have our honeymoon for about a month into his tenure then he will be promptly asked to leave. This will continue through his first losing season and the next ten to boot. All the while mike brown continues to make more and more money we spend on all things bengals because we love our team. Furthermore, some of these guys aren’t just looking at coaching an nfl team, but job stability knowing no matter what they do or how bad they are, they will have a job for atleast 10 years. We will sit there and take it.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 06:17 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: The cold hard truth is no matter who the coach is, we will have our honeymoon for about a month into his tenure then he will be promptly asked to leave. This will continue through his first losing season and the next ten to boot. All the while mike brown continues to make more and more money we spend on all things bengals because we love our team. Furthermore, some of these guys aren’t just looking at coaching an nfl team, but job stability knowing no matter what they do or how bad they are, they will have a job for atleast 10 years. We will sit there and take it.

So, he'll be asked to leave before the draft?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 06:20 PM)McC Wrote: So, he'll be asked to leave before the draft?

Lol I should of clarified his first month of regular season games
Reply/Quote

Mike Brown doesn't care what Stephen A. Smith or any other person in the media says about his organization. So Stephen A. Smith is just preaching to the choir.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote