Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN - Troy Blackburn comments on Bobby Hart signing
(03-28-2019, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You won't like what Troy had to say...
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059312-4

What this really tells me is that Troy confirmed the Bengals go to the NFL equivalent of Wal Mart to get their FAs. They don't shop at the high-end name brand stores. No wonder they can't find anything nice.  Smirk

Then you could have reading comprehension issues. What he stated is reality. Sure they could have not signed Hart and gambled that they could draft a guy that walks in day 1 and is a starter. Is that a guarantee? Nope sure is not. The reality is that even if they do draft a guy and he starts that injuries also occur. So if Hart is not starting then you have an experienced vet on the bench at the least.

Okay so they do not sign Hart. What is your answer to the situation? Your answer will be a free agent I am sure so who and for how much?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:39 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Then you could have reading comprehension issues. What he stated is reality. Sure they could have not signed Hart and gambled that they could draft a guy that walks in day 1 and is a starter. Is that a guarantee? Nope sure is not. The reality is that even if they do draft a guy and he starts that injuries also occur. So if Hart is not starting then you have an experienced vet on the bench at the least.

Okay so they do not sign Hart. What is your answer to the situation? Your answer will be a free agent I am sure so who and for how much?

Except they did that SAME THING with Bodine, Zeitler, Price, etc. They didn't have quality starters waiting in the wings if those guys failed.

The reality is, the Bengals Management and Coaches LIKE Bobby Hart and want him to be a starter here. They apparently see things in him they like and think he's young enough to improve. And he should improve some.

The SHOULD draft another OT in the 2nd or 3rd Round to compete and for depth though because Glenn gets injured a lot too.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Except they did that SAME THING with Bodine, Zeitler, Price, etc. They didn't have quality starters waiting in the wings if those guys failed.

The reality is, the Bengals Management and Coaches LIKE Bobby Hart and want him to be a starter here. They apparently see things in him they like and think he's young enough to improve. And he should improve some.

The SHOULD draft another OT in the 2nd or 3rd Round to compete and for depth though because Glenn gets injured a lot too.

They should draft an OT  in the first round if someone the caliber or Jawaan Taylor is there. You are assuming to know things that you actually do not know.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 10:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That seems like a mess waiting to happen. When Mike kicks the bucket, they need to hire a real GM and remove themselves from the equation. Of course that'd mean hiring real staff in their own place, which would cost money. Then they wonder why people question where their priorities are at. Of course Mike and co want to win. They just don't want it more than they want max profits.

(03-30-2019, 08:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Me too...only the Bengals would have been destroyed for taking that guy after the rumors of that charge.  Cowboys got a day-one talent for next to nothing.  If it was not true, I hope Collins sued that pants of that woman for lying about him.  

Yeah, that whole deal cost him millions. The Bengals would've been roasted for grabbing him, but we get roasted either way.

We'll probably hear about Burfict for 20 more years even though we dumped him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 01:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That seems like a mess waiting to happen. When Mike kicks the bucket, they need to hire a real GM and remove themselves from the equation. Of course that'd mean hiring real staff in their own place, which would cost money. Then they wonder why people question where their priorities are at. Of course Mike and co want to win. They just don't want it more than they want max profits.

Yeah, that whole deal cost him millions. The Bengals would've been roasted for grabbing him, but we get roasted either way.

We'll probably hear about Burfict for 20 more years even though we dumped him.

The thing I question is: IF they invested more into the roster and actually won, wouldn't it make their profits go up? People would buy more merchandise and go to more games maybe.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing I question is: IF they invested more into the roster and actually won, wouldn't it make their profits go up? People would buy more merchandise and go to more games maybe.

No they should never ever attempt that.

Investing in your roster and finding great talent just doesn't happen.

Never in the NFL should this even be attempted because it just won't work.

This team would be in a hole financially and lose all of the time if they chased success and re-invested in the team just to please the fans that are interested in their product.

Please keep these absurd remarks to yourself sir.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 05:58 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: No they should never ever attempt that.

Investing in your roster and finding great talent just doesn't happen.

Never in the NFL should this even be attempted because it just won't work.

This team would be in a hole financially and lose all of the time if they chased success and re-invested in the team just to please the fans that are interested in their product.

Please keep these absurd remarks to yourself sir.
They are keeping you on their message boards though aren't they?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 08:17 PM)OSUfan Wrote: They are keeping you on their message boards though aren't they?

You do realize that Bengals.com shut down their message board in 2015 and this board is not affiliated with the Bengals but was started by a fan, correct?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:39 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Then you could have reading comprehension issues. What he stated is reality. Sure they could have not signed Hart and gambled that they could draft a guy that walks in day 1 and is a starter. Is that a guarantee? Nope sure is not. The reality is that even if they do draft a guy and he starts that injuries also occur. So if Hart is not starting then you have an experienced vet on the bench at the least.

You must have misinterpreted my “what this really tells me” as fully serious, whereas I was somewhat joking, which i thought was obvious by the smirk emoji. I know they don’t literally “shop at WalMart,” but I do think they overrate their players and re-sign them to poor deals (eg Maualuga a few years ago).

But to answer your question:
- I didn’t think James would have become highest paid RT in the league, but I would have been fine if the Bengals signed him up to $10 mill a year. Since he got more than that, obviously that wouldn’t have worked.
- I would have looked to sign Daryl Williams, Jared Veldheer, Donald Penn, or even Andre Smith instead of Bobby Hart. Hart may have been ok in run blocking but he was putrid in pass blocking. All of those guys I mentioned have had more success than Hart.
- If I were to have re-signed Hart, I wouldn’t have gone over 3 years, $10 mill ($3.33 mill/year). I don’t think his performance last year warranted as high of a pay jump that he got, and I would have allowed him to walk if he got a better deal elsewhere.
- I would have had no problem drafting an OT to start immediately in Hart’s place. I think any of Williams, Taylor, Ford, Risner, or McGary could play that position solid-or-better as a rookie. Could that pick also perform poorly? Sure, but it’d be cheaper than what Bobby Hart will be making. They still could do this, and I hope they do, but the amount of money they are giving Hart makes me think he will be the starter regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:47 AM)OSUfan Wrote: They should draft an OT  in the first round if someone the caliber or Jawaan Taylor is there. You are assuming to know things that you actually do not know.

There’s a very high likelihood that some OT of Jawaan Taylor caliber is there at 11. Very low chance of all Williams, Taylor, and Ford all gone in top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I read that the Bengals were interested in Kwon Alexander but not at what he signed at. I wonder IF when Kwon signed which was pretty early...that they kind of panicked and offered Hart more money thinking some team might sign him?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: But he's just not what you are making him out to be....

He is a middle of the road starting RT in the NFL and at just 24 years of age, has upside.  Hart played next to a rookie, and the line helped Mixon average 4.9 YPC in 2018.  That was the highest a Bengal running back has had in over a decade, I believe.  And before you attribute it all to Mixon, he only averaged 3.5 YPC in 2017.

A line is as much about how it plays as a unit than just the individual ratings, and they were much better with Hart than with Ogbuehi and Fisher.

I put in another post that Whit didn't start at LT exclusively until his fourth year in the league and he struggled mightily early on in his career.  Whit was a high 2nd rounder, and was 25 when he started his career in the NFL.  Hart is just now 24.  He earned a middle of the road contract and that is exactly what he got.

Now, this thread seems to be going in two different directions:  some are pissed about Troy's comments, and some are pissed about Hart's deal.

I don't agree with what Troy said, but it is more about how he said it than the actual message.  He came off as condescending and arrogant.  I can tell you that Troy Blackburn is a first class man that not only cares a great deal about his team and the city, but is a very good person.  I'm sure he regrets spouting off in the manor he did, but that is water under the bridge.  

He is also partly responsible for Marvin being let go and allowed Zack to build his own staff.  A lot of other coaches were handed an existing staff.  This is quite a shift for the Bengals.  They realized they needed a clean sheet from the coaching perspective and we have that now.  I, for one, am extremely excited to see what this team can become with the new coaching staff.  

In the end, it all boils down to this draft.  They have to nail it.  Do that, and this season could be a really fun time.  Whiff on your first two picks like Ced and Fish, and it will be a long season.  

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Bobby Hart has never ranked higher than 70th among qualified players at his position, according to Pro Football Focus. The 2015 seventh-round pick struggled throughout his three seasons with the New York Giants, and he was no better in Cincinnati in 2018.

But as free agency got underway, the Bengals inexplicably signed the 24-year-old to a contract that pays him $5.4 million per season over the next three years.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 08:17 PM)OSUfan Wrote: They are keeping you on their message boards though aren't they?

(03-30-2019, 08:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You do realize that Bengals.com shut down their message board in 2015 and this board is not affiliated with the Bengals but was started by a fan, correct?

Yeah they shut it down because they did not like criticism so close to home.  That and why pay for something if it's not lucrative and doesn't promote their follies.

I am not happy with the way this team does things and I'm not alone.

It would be great to see them make a single splash for a FA at some point in time.

Is that really asking too damn much?

Instead we get re-treads, has beens, and known underperformed retained.

Fine.  Let them sit on their hands and hope things improve.

It's sure as hell not giving me confidence as a fan as they claim to me to be wanting.

I've got every right in the world to display my displeasure as much as I do to give up on the franchise.

I usually go to games every year.  This year I will not.  I've already made up my mind by the few things that have transpired.  It really bothers me that something completely out of my control can make me so irked.  Troy's comments are like a slap in the face to me.  F that attitude and their lack of real effort.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 11:54 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm just gonna leave this here...

Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Bobby Hart has never ranked higher than 70th among qualified players at his position, according to Pro Football Focus. The 2015 seventh-round pick struggled throughout his three seasons with the New York Giants, and he was no better in Cincinnati in 2018.

But as free agency got underway, the Bengals inexplicably signed the 24-year-old to a contract that pays him $5.4 million per season over the next three years.

From their site (PFF): 

2018 PFF Grades

Offense
#69 T
Run Block

Pass Block

There were little "trophies" next to run block and pass block, but I don't really know what those mean.  56.2 rating in THEIR SYSTEM says "average".  And again, might have been ranked #69 overall in tackles, but still gets a rating of average.  It was his first year with our team.  He was next to an undrafted rookie.  He is just 24 years old today.  

You seem to completely ignore the Andrew Whitworth reference and his early struggles and the fact that he wasn't a full-time tackle until his FOURTH year in the league, when he was 29 years old.  

I am not ready to send Hart to the Pro BowlHilarious but I am willing to give him a shot as he was an upgrade over Fisher and Ced and he has potential to improve and help our team.  

I'm sure the folks that wrote that article weren't complaining about him when the Bengals were 4-1.  

Elite

High Quality

Good

Above Average

Average

Below Average

Poor

Rookie

Limited Information
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 08:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You do realize that Bengals.com shut down their message board in 2015 and this board is not affiliated with the Bengals but was started by a fan, correct?

Pretty sure you know the answer to that question as I addressed your constant negativity toward this franchise there as well. The point, you obviously took entirely literally, is that they are getting attention from you period. Any press is better than no press in the advertising world.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 01:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Pretty sure you know the answer to that question as I addressed your constant negativity toward this franchise there as well. The point, you obviously took entirely literally, is that they are getting attention from you period. Any press is better than no press in the advertising world.
Yeah it's great when you piss off your fan base and put a target on you as a mom/pop mishandled franchise.

Great job PR department!!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 11:54 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm just gonna leave this here...

When your fans main reason for liking your big free agent signing is they can waive him after 1 year with little cap penalty...you've had a pretty poor free agent period.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 01:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Pretty sure you know the answer to that question as I addressed your constant negativity toward this franchise there as well. The point, you obviously took entirely literally, is that they are getting attention from you period. Any press is better than no press in the advertising world.

I don't remember you from there. And I'm getting attention from you.  ThumbsUp

Pistonsmania is running wild!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 02:22 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah it's great when you piss off your fan base and put a target on you as a mom/pop mishandled franchise.

Who would have thought that the key to getting 'attention' was just to not win a playoff game for 27 years!

How could we have failed to see the genius in that?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 02:22 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah it's great when you piss off your fan base and put a target on you as a mom/pop mishandled franchise.

You really should not try to speak for everyone.
Reply/Quote