Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Depth Chart Released (And My Overreactions)
I saw this on the Bengals Facebook page, and thought it was worthwhile:

[Image: 13872693_10154375129403416_4529503693206...e=5810D224]

Notes:

-I'm liking our receiving core, but not necessarily where everyone is right now. Tate as the #2 X receiver? Bang Head Also don't like that Alfred, who I thought I just saw where he's returning kicks, is ahead of Core. Simonise buried that low sucks, but it's understandable for now.

-Hill's ahead of Gio, which is how it should be, but I thought I heard where Gio would be first on the depth chart.

-Kind of thought Fisher might see some snaps at LT and they'd swing Big Whit inside, but LT is the most important position on the line, so I understand.

-Don't like Billings 3rd because I'm excited about him, but let's hope he can crack the coach's love affair with Peko and jump Sims.

-Hunt and Clarke need to step-up because our lack of depth at DE worries me (if those two can't produce).

-Why's Jackson backing up Dre if he's not going to play this season? Even if he does get healthy, I don't think he'd be our #4 CB because our #4 has a chance to play, and we don't play rookie corners.

-Safety depth looks like it might be a problem.

-Tate returning kicks kills me, but let's hope Alford can take the spot from him and we let Jones return punts.

There's my flipping out over something that doesn't matter much ThumbsUp

Anyone else have any opinions?
Reply/Quote
CincyJungle says Core's making a strong bid for playing time, but it also says that Wright could be on the outside looking in, which is confusing to me because I had heard good things and liked the few clips I saw.

Has a few clips of him making some nice catches, two of which were contested, but nothing really exciting. I do think that he could contribute and show that he was just just buried behind Treadwell at Ol Miss, so he didn't get to show what he had.
Reply/Quote
That depth chart means nothing. Wait until week 1 to see who's where.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was waiting for "how is Vigil behind Vinny Rey", but I think a lot of this will hinge upon their nickel sets. I hope they open with Dansby and Vigil, because he can cover a lot more ground than Vinny Rey or Maualuga. More than likely, it will be Vinny Rey and Dansby. I don't think very highly of Maualuga in nickel, although he did improve.
Reply/Quote
Marvin historically uses early depth charts as a seniority list. Not sure there is anything you can really draw from this.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was waiting for "how is Vigil behind Vinny Rey", but I think a lot of this will hinge upon their nickel sets.  I hope they open with Dansby and Vigil, because he can cover a lot more ground than Vinny Rey or Maualuga.  More than likely, it will be Vinny Rey and Dansby.  I don't think very highly of Maualuga in nickel, although he did improve.

That was actually one of my first thoughts and I just forgot to post it.
Reply/Quote
For some reason, I think Vigil will be the guy that everyone thinks is going to be sweet but he just never comes around. Not sure why, but just have that feeling.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 09:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: For some reason, I think Vigil will be the guy that everyone thinks is going to be sweet but he just never comes around. Not sure why, but just have that feeling.

I think the opposite. I think Vigil is the guy who everyone ripped on us for taking early and he'll end up being pretty good. All reports from camp so far have been positive. In comparison Dawson who was hyped last year was only heard about when he was messing up in camp. I think a lot of the talk about him around here is more tongue in cheek in regards to making a joke out of him.
Reply/Quote
Who is our #2 long snapper?
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Who is our #2 long snapper?

Vigil
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 10:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Vigil

The Vigilantes (official Nick Vigil fan club) approve this message.

Stay Vigilant, my friends..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 03:01 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I saw this on the Bengals Facebook page, and thought it was worthwhile:

[Image: 13872693_10154375129403416_4529503693206...e=5810D224]

Notes:

-I'm liking our receiving core, but not necessarily where everyone is right now.  Tate as the #2 X receiver?   Bang Head Also don't like that Alfred, who I thought I just saw where he's returning kicks, is ahead of Core.  Simonise buried that low sucks, but it's understandable for now.  

-Hill's ahead of Gio, which is how it should be, but I thought I heard where Gio would be first on the depth chart.

-Kind of thought Fisher might see some snaps at LT and they'd swing Big Whit inside, but LT is the most important position on the line, so I understand.

-Don't like Billings 3rd because I'm excited about him, but let's hope he can crack the coach's love affair with Peko and jump Sims.

-Hunt and Clarke need to step-up because our lack of depth at DE worries me (if those two can't produce).

-Why's Jackson backing up Dre if he's not going to play this season?  Even if he does get healthy, I don't think he'd be our #4 CB because our #4 has a chance to play, and we don't play rookie corners.

-Tate returning kicks kills me, but let's hope Alford can take the spot from him and we let Jones return punts.

There's my flipping out over something that doesn't matter much  ThumbsUp

Fisher  is playing LT anytime Whit takes a break. so days he gets vet rest Fisher is filling in the LT spot.

almost always marvin list rookies even first rounders at the back end of the DC then they can earn their way to top.

From what I heard of alfords ability to catch kicks I'm glad tate is still here.

Kid from Canada is fighting for a PS spot this year not a roster spot imo.
Reply/Quote
It should go without saying, but Marvin has made known in the past he doesn't really care about the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
I forgot about Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 11:55 AM)Benton Wrote: It should go without saying, but Marvin has made known in the past he doesn't really care about the depth chart.

Most coaches hate releasing depth charts. Belichick will come up with a crazy one and then come out with a completely different line up in the following practice.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 11:55 AM)Benton Wrote: It should go without saying, but Marvin has made known in the past he doesn't really care about the depth chart.

Yep, I wouldn't get to broke up about anything on this early chart.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 03:01 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I saw this on the Bengals Facebook page, and thought it was worthwhile:

Notes:

-I'm liking our receiving core, but not necessarily where everyone is right now.  Tate as the #2 X receiver?   Bang Head Also don't like that Alfred, who I thought I just saw where he's returning kicks, is ahead of Core.  Simonise buried that low sucks, but it's understandable for now.  

-Why's Jackson backing up Dre if he's not going to play this season?  Even if he does get healthy, I don't think he'd be our #4 CB because our #4 has a chance to play, and we don't play rookie corners.

There's my flipping out over something that doesn't matter much  ThumbsUp

Why would you move a back-to-back 1st Team All-Pro LT inside, which means then Boling (the better of your two Guards) is going to either be benched or out of position. Just to put an unproved 2nd round pick guarding Dalton's back? You'd be hurting two or three positions on your OL by doing that.

That aside, there's a couple things I agree with you on this list. The depth I have seen in recent Bengals teams doesn't really seem to be there this year. Tate is the #4 WR, your #3 and #4 DEs are both busts who combined for 6 total tackles last year, I don't even know who that backup safety is...... and Nugent is still kicking and Tate is still returning, both of which is unacceptable on Opening Day.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 11:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Fisher  is playing LT anytime Whit takes a break. so days he gets vet rest Fisher is filling in the LT spot.

almost always marvin list rookies even first rounders at the back end of the DC then they can earn their way to top.

From what I heard of alfords ability to catch kicks I'm glad tate is still here.

Kid from Canada is fighting for a PS spot this year not a roster spot imo.
I'm just hoping that Marvin, despite these depth charts, will let them earn their spots and won't just automatically bench them.

Few clips of the Canadian from training camp seem promising, but I hope to get a better look tomorrow and Thursday down at camp.

I'd rather put Gio or anyone back there than have Tate return kicks.  I didn't hear anything about Alford, and I'll take your word for it, but there still has to be someone better than Tate on our roster at returning kickoffs.  I'd actually see what Gio can do to be our #2 punt returner, too.
(08-09-2016, 06:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why would you move a back-to-back 1st Team All-Pro LT inside, which means then Boling (the better of your two Guards) is going to either be benched or out of position. Just to put an unproved 2nd round pick guarding Dalton's back? You'd be hurting two or three positions on your OL by doing that.

That aside, there's a couple things I agree with you on this list. The depth I have seen in recent Bengals teams doesn't really seem to be there this year. Tate is the #4 WR, your #3 and #4 DEs are both busts who combined for 6 total tackles last year, I don't even know who that backup safety is...... and Nugent is still kicking and Tate is still returning, both of which is unacceptable on Opening Day.

Whit will be 35 in December, and he can't keep playing at a high level forever, so might want to start putting Fisher in, who was projected to be a late-first or early-second round pick, so not like he's a scrub.  We got lucky that he fell as far as he did.  If I remember correctly, he was also the best zone blocking tackle in the draft, which we use.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 08:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm just hoping that Marvin, despite these depth charts, will let them earn their spots and won't just automatically bench them.

Few clips of the Canadian from training camp seem promising, but I hope to get a better look tomorrow and Thursday down at camp.

I'd rather put Gio or anyone back there than have Tate return kicks.  I didn't hear anything about Alford, and I'll take your word for it, but there still has to be someone better than Tate on our roster at returning kickoffs.  I'd actually see what Gio can do to be our #2 punt returner, too.

Whit will be 35 in December, and he can't keep playing at a high level forever, so might want to start putting Fisher in, who was projected to be a late-first or early-second round pick, so not like he's a scrub.  We got lucky that he fell as far as he did.  If I remember correctly, he was also the best zone blocking tackle in the draft, which we use.

This is what a team that is 2-14 does, not a playoff contender.  IF you want Fisher to get some snaps at LT, you blow some teams out and let him play in garbage time.  You don't run the risk of putting him in for some snaps just to get some experience.  One or two plays can change the course of an entire season.

Projections mean nothing when it comes to the NFL.  Sure, he looked good coming out of college, but I've only seen him struggle when he was on the field as a tackle.  Personally, I don't think he's the answer at LT.

I'm also not sure where you would put Whit if he wasn't playing LT.  You're not going to sit Zeitler and you probably aren't going to sit Boling.  
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Who is our #2 long snapper?

LOL  That's funny right there!   I'd rep you for that if I hadn't had to start all over on my status here post-transition   But good to see you're still keeping the humor level up!  Kudos!!! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote