Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Early kudos to the o-line
Through 4 games, they've allowed only 7 sacks. For comparison, we allowed 14 sacks through 4 games last year.

We're also averaging a healthy 4.5 YPC on the ground. Last year, we averaged 3.3 YPC through 4 games.

If this holds, it will be the best season by a Bengals o-line since 1988. That was the last time we averaged 4.5 YPC or better AND finished with 30 or fewer sacks. As someone who pimped Lazor from day one, it's nice to see the success come to fruition...and to those who questioned the Pollack hype, well... ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yes sir all things considered the Oline has done very well thus far. Pollack I'm quite sure has had a lot to do with that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our offensive line is a lot better than last season but it's not as good as the stats suggest either. Hart flat out sucks and Redmond isn't far behind either.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Through 4 games, they've allowed only 7 sacks. For comparison, we allowed 14 sacks through 4 games last year.

We're also averaging a healthy 4.5 YPC on the ground. Last year, we averaged 3.3 YPC through 4 games.

If this holds, it will be the best season by a Bengals o-line since 1988. That was the last time we averaged 4.5 YPC or better AND finished with 30 or fewer sacks. As someone who pimped Lazor from day one, it's nice to see the success come to fruition...and to those who questioned the Pollack hype, well... ThumbsUp

Thanks for the numbers Shake, absolutely love it.

Major props to Lazor and Pollack. Loving Lazor's playcalling and it is pretty amazing how well the O-line has held up
without or stud Center lately. Hopkins has done a really good job filling in and have to give some props to Hart and
Redmond as well. They are getting better and Hart was hated by a few Seminoles fans on here.

Hart got called on a penalty late in the game against the Falcons that i thought was a bad call.
Reply/Quote
They say the CENTER is the stability to the O-line. Someone is getting a KUDOS cocho bar from his happy QB.

[Image: original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Through 4 games, they've allowed only 7 sacks. For comparison, we allowed 14 sacks through 4 games last year.

Not bad numbers! The o-line could be better, but a damn site better than the last couple of years. Agree I give Lazor the credit! Pollack too, but if Lazor hadn't insisted on changes to the o-line blocking, we might not of gotten Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not bad numbers! The o-line could be better, but a damn site better than the last couple of years. Agree I give Lazor the credit! Pollack too, but if Lazor hadn't insisted on changes to the o-line blocking, we might not of gotten Pollack.

Exactly. Love Pollack, but Lazor seems to be behind that change.

Also, that we're on pace to only allow 28 sacks with 4.5 YPC - and we have room for improvement - is pretty amazing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for the numbers Shake, absolutely love it.

Major props to Lazor and Pollack. Loving Lazor's playcalling and it is pretty amazing how well the O-line has held up
without or stud Center lately. Hopkins has done a really good job filling in and have to give some props to Hart and
Redmond as well. They are getting better and Hart was hated by a few Seminoles fans on here.

Hart got called on a penalty late in the game against the Falcons that i thought was a bad call.

I'm one of those Noles backers.....he wasn't very good, but then again, the whole line sucks anymore in Tallahassee these days.  Hope Taggart can turn that around.

Hart is looking better, so props to him and the coaches.....I'd still like a better RT, but at least it's not like Ole`-hi and Fish out there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The Bengals May have only allowed 7 sacks but they’ve allowed a lot of pressures. They also haven’t been very good at run blocking. The OL weaknesses have been mitigated by Lazor’s offensive scheme and Dalton’s quick release. At some point, this team may need to try someone besides Redmond or Hopkins at RG.

Edit- YPC has been good, but they are still 22nd in RYPG at 93.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

for a team that took till week 3 last year to score 1 TD... to a team averaging about 30+ a game...

the offense has been night and day. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 05:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals May have only allowed 7 sacks but they’ve allowed a lot of pressures. They also haven’t been very good at run blocking. The OL weaknesses have been mitigated by Lazor’s offensive scheme and Dalton’s quick release. At some point, this team may need to try someone besides Redmond or Hopkins at RG.

when price is back either him or Hopkins probly takes over RG if Westerman isn't given a shot by then.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 05:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals May have only allowed 7 sacks but they’ve allowed a lot of pressures. They also haven’t been very good at run blocking. The OL weaknesses have been mitigated by Lazor’s offensive scheme and Dalton’s quick release. At some point, this team may need to try someone besides Redmond or Hopkins at RG.

I think there are a couple of reasons for being so low in the running department. One, Mixon is out so our bellcow is gone. Obviously affects the game plan.

And two, one of my only gripes (likely the only currently) about Lazor is that he seems to go away from the run quite easily. He leans more pass heavy, and it show. Andy is on pace to have 616 attempts, and currently has the 9th most attempts.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 05:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: for a team that took till week 3 last year to score 1 TD... to a team averaging about 30+ a game...

the offense has been night and day. 

No doubt. Lazor's makeover is complete. Well, almost. I'd say they still have a couple spots to shore up on the line.

(10-05-2018, 06:12 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think there are a couple of reasons for being so low in the running department. One, Mixon is out so our bellcow is gone. Obviously affects the game plan.

And two, one of my only gripes (likely the only currently) about Lazor is that he seems to go away from the run quite easily. He leans more pass heavy, and it show. Andy is on pace to have 616 attempts, and currently has the 9th most attempts.

Agree 100%. We ran more with Mixon than we did with Bernard. I also agree that Lazor may be getting too pass happy. 

Too soon to say (IMO), but it's something to keep an eye on. Same thing happened in 2014 with the Dolphins (Lazor's only complete season as OC). The Dolphins finished 2nd in YPC, but were only 22nd in carries (12th in pass attempts). 

If the run game is hot, I'd like to see them ride it sometimes. Teams usually kill us in the playoffs by running all over us and shutting our run game down. We need to reverse that to win playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 05:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: when price is back either him or Hopkins probly takes over RG if Westerman isn't given a shot by then.

I know. I’d prefer Price because I think Hopkins’ best position (by performance) thus far has been C. If Price goes back to C, I’d hope to see Westerman or even Fisher than continue with Redmond or back to Hopkins at RG.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 06:12 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think there are a couple of reasons for being so low in the running department. One, Mixon is out so our bellcow is gone. Obviously affects the game plan.

The second point is more plausible than the first. The Bengals have rushed 84 times in 4 games. In the first 2 games (which Mixon played), they rushed 42 times, which is exactly the same as the latter 2 games.

I’d be interested to know if the run game would get worse or better if they ran more during games. From what I’ve seen from the OL thus far, I’d guess worse.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Definite improvement. It's great for year 1 with Pollack as the OL coach. With some more draft picks in the next couple years it should get better. I'd like to see him do here what he did in Dallas.

Reply/Quote

The second point is more plausible than the first. The Bengals have rushed 84 times in 4 games. In the first 2 games (which Mixon played), they rushed 42 times, which is exactly the same as the latter 2 games.

I’d be interested to know if the run game would get worse or better if they ran more during games. From what I’ve seen from the OL thus far, I’d guess worse.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think the line will continue to improve. I think we'll get to the point that when you want to run, you can, even if the defense knows what's coming. And the passing game speaks for itself.

One thing to remember is how changed the line is from last year, both in personnel and performance. And pretty much the whole preseason was spent shuffling guys around and not developing cohesiveness. They have been doing this on the fly. I think they are just getting started.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
There is something different about this team. Many of us recognize it. It’s awesome to watch. Almost like the video from 3 doors down, “away from the sun.” We are climbing out of a pit of depression.

Reply/Quote
I agree, we were all worried about the offensive line during the summer. I think they've been very good considering the expectation.
Reply/Quote