Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Early winners and losers at Training camp
(08-02-2022, 11:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If memory serves Carman blew some guys up run blocking last season. Seems he struggled a lot at times in pass pro, especially at RG. Bottom line I just don't wanna see Joe running for his life 1.1 seconds into pass plays.

And to be honest I really don't care who's playing LG. If it's Carman and he's doing well, great. If somebody else is better ? That's fine too.

Carman had some great plays last year. His problem was consistency. Another year in the system hopefully fixes that.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Carman had some great plays last year. His problem was consistency. Another year in the system hopefully fixes that.

He did indeed.

But as you say very inconsistent, and to a degree being a young player rightfully so. But he's got to step it up this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Many non- Bengal fans around the league think Hurst is an upgrade over Uzomah. Which surprised me because I haven't heard of him.
Reply/Quote
Flashback to training camp, circa 2009.

Winner: Dennis Roland, The gargantuan, yet oafish back of the roster OT secures a spot as a blocking TE in Marin Lewis' unbalanced line rushing attack.

Loser: Daniel "Hands of Stone" Coates, Dude, you lost your job to a clumsy, stone footed OT. What else can we say?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 12:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Many non- Bengal fans around the league think Hurst is an upgrade over Uzomah. Which surprised me because I haven't heard of him.

He's a heck of a lot faster....
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 12:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Many non- Bengal fans around the league think Hurst is an upgrade over Uzomah. Which surprised me because I haven't heard of him.

He had a pretty big year in Atlanta in '20.  The guy has had terrible luck.  He was buried behind Andrews in Baltimore, goes to Atlanta and has one good year, then gets buried behind Pitts.  
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If memory serves Carman blew some guys up run blocking last season. Seems he struggled a lot at times in pass pro, especially at RG. Bottom line I just don't wanna see Joe running for his life 1.1 seconds into pass plays.

And to be honest I really don't care who's playing LG. If it's Carman and he's doing well, great. If somebody else is better ? That's fine too.

Agree and Carman is going back to his natural side which should help. Thought he played well in the 2nd half of the first KC game too. 

Could be wrong but I believe in the kid, heck most OL don't come into the NFL dominating. Especially when they switch position and side of the ball. 

Plus the OL surrounding him was horrid and may have caused more chaos than a rookie should be subjected to as well. 

He now has the year of experience under his belt and plenty of motivation from the Bengals SB run. This season he is going to be flanked by Jonah and Karras who will provide a wealth of knowledge and skill to help him. 

Not to mention as I've said many of times, if the Bengals can run the ball at will then they will be unstoppable in the air. Carman's strength is run blocking and should excel with this group. 

Think the OL will be fine if remaining healthy.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 12:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and Carman is going back to his natural side which should help. Thought he played well in the 2nd half of the first KC game too. 

Could be wrong but I believe in the kid, heck most OL don't come into the NFL dominating. Especially when they switch position and side of the ball. 

Plus the OL surrounding him was horrid and may have caused more chaos than a rookie should be subjected to as well.

He now has the year of experience under his belt and plenty of motivation from the Bengals SB run. This season he is going to be flanked by Jonah and Karras who will provide a wealth of knowledge and skill to help him. 

Not to mention as I've said many of times, if the Bengals can run the ball at will then they will be unstoppable in the air. Carman's strength is run blocking and should excel with this group. 

Think the OL will be fine if remaining healthy.

Good point

When you're new and learning yourself it's hard to shine with very average and below linemen around you.
Reply/Quote
This time last year, we were hearing Ja'Marr Chase was going to be a bust because he couldn't catch a pass

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 12:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's a heck of a lot faster....

CJ Uzomah 40 time - 4.63
Hayden Hurst 40 time - 4.67

They are roughly the same speed.  Shuttle,3 cone, broad and vertical numbers are pretty similar as well.  But Hurst edged CJ in all these areas other than 40 time.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 01:30 PM)pally Wrote: This time last year, we were hearing Ja'Marr Chase was going to be a bust because he couldn't catch a pass

yeah Preseason/Camp preformances arent the Rule....

I also love reports of OL looking real good without PADS  lol
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 01:30 PM)pally Wrote: This time last year, we were hearing Ja'Marr Chase was going to be a bust because he couldn't catch a pass

Oh I remember that and how quickly it changed.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 12:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Flashback to training camp, circa 2009.

Winner:  Dennis Roland, The gargantuan, yet oafish back of the roster OT secures a spot as a blocking TE in Marin Lewis' unbalanced line rushing attack.

Loser: Daniel "Hands of Stone" Coates, Dude, you lost your job to a clumsy, stone footed OT.  What else can we say?

What was the WR's name that went all Jerry Rice Jr. in training camp ZT's first season and then flamed out fast when it got real ?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 02:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What was the WR's name that went all Jerry Rice Jr. in training camp ZT's first season and then flamed out fast when it got real ?

Damion Willis iirc.
Reply/Quote
I remember that Hilarious

I'm LOVING THIS!

Thinking of laying a few hundred on him to lead the league in receiving because I think he's like 10 to 1! 

Only problem is that we have a lot of mouths to feed and teams will be selling out to stop him, but, with Burrow having time in the pocket, I think they'd have to triple team him to attempt to slow him down!
(08-02-2022, 01:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah Preseason/Camp preformances arent the Rule....

I also love reports of OL looking real good without PADS  lol

I know defensive linemen also bull-rush and and use other methods of strength, but I really like hearing linemen looking good without pads because it means that they're moving good and (hopefully) getting their hand placements right because, being a passing league, we need technique in pass protection over burying defenders into the ground. 

Don't get me wrong because I'm an old fashioned guy and I want to see smash-mouth blocks/football, but that's not the NFL anymore.
Reply/Quote
Winner left out from what ive read and heard is solid hold Perine as #2 behind Mixon,
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 12:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's a heck of a lot faster....

I don;t think we can say that really, what do we have to go off of ?  their 40 times out of college had Hurst slightly faster and both have had injuries ... i don;t think he has a major speed upgrade... he should be a biit better in passing game, but lacks in blocking and leadership role compared to CJ
Reply/Quote

Hurst was a former 1st round TE drafted by the Ravens the same year they took Mark Andrews.
Andrews ended up being the better TE (at least in their offense), so they moved Hurst.
Despite having a good 3rd season in ATL (his 1st year there), ATL decided to make an upgrade last year by drafting Kyle Pitts 4th overall.

Pitts and Andrews had the 3rd and 1st most receiving yards among TEs last year.
So it may just be that Hurst is good but the guys he's been in competition with are just better.

If he has a year similar to 2020, that would be very good for the Bengals.
It would be the most yards by a Bengals TE since Eifert's 2015 Pro Bowl nod.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Fans don't know much. They must just remember Hurst as a first round pick 

Based on the contracts each one got it is pretty clear what the experts that work for NFL teams think. They don't really care where a player was drafted.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 01:31 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: CJ Uzomah 40 time - 4.63
Hayden Hurst 40 time - 4.67

They are roughly the same speed.  Shuttle,3 cone, broad and vertical numbers are pretty similar as well.  But Hurst edged CJ in all these areas other than 40 time.

Plus CJ is 2 inches taller than Hurst.
Reply/Quote