Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Early winners and losers at Training camp
(08-08-2022, 01:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Possible but 1/3 is pretty impressive and  res he could be better but u can't say that by his career. only opinion backs up he is better but again neither are top tier so most likely mimimum difference especially factoring in other attributes like blocking and leadership..

Uzomah's going to have a below average season with NY. He'll never touch his 2021 again.

Hurst will surpass his best season, which was statistically better than Uzo's best.
Reply/Quote
you can tell who the real hardcore homers are by the denial of Hurst being a better player than Uzomah lol
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2022, 08:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The NFL disagrees.

Hurst...........1 yr, $3.5 million
Uzomah.......3 yr, $24 million

Honestly I see them as about equal.  So I think we got a steal with Hayden.  

I always liked CJ.  But with his injury history there is no way I would have given him that deal at his age (29).

Fred where do you get this notion that every single NFL players worth/greatness/ability can be determined by their pay ?

There's tons of players that get overpaid in free agency. There's a bunch of NFL players who are underpaid for their output. There's a bunch of rookies that never pan out and are overpaid. Just on and on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2022, 08:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The NFL disagrees.

Hurst...........1 yr, $3.5 million
Uzomah.......3 yr, $24 million

Honestly I see them as about equal.  So I think we got a steal with Hayden.  

I always liked CJ.  But with his injury history there is no way I would have given him that deal at his age (29).

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Dak Prescott is the greatest QB in the NFL this season?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 01:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fred where do you get this notion that every single NFL players worth/greatness/ability can be determined by their pay ?

There's tons of players that get overpaid in free agency. There's a bunch of NFL players who are underpaid for their output. There's a bunch of rookies that never pan out and are overpaid. Just on and on.

You mean Christian Kirk isn’t one of the top WR’s in the league? Ninja

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 02:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Dak Prescott is the greatest QB in the NFL this season?

hahahahahahahha
haaaaaaaaaaaahaha
hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
HA HA HA HAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAA...

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have said it before and will say it again. I bet Hurst has his best season this year and I also bet Uzo doesn't have as good 
of a season with the Jets as he did last year with us.
This Offense with the Joe's and a decent OL in front of them with these
weapons will have so many options and Hurst is finally the #1 TE and if he gets open which is a strength of his Burrow will 
find him.

We needed Red Zone help and I believe Hurst could be that for us.

It’s obviously early, but that might be a good bet…

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have said it before and will say it again. I bet Hurst has his best season this year and I also bet Uzo doesn't have as good 
of a season with the Jets as he did last year with us. This Offense with the Joe's and a decent OL in front of them with these
weapons will have so many options and Hurst is finally the #1 TE and if he gets open which is a strength of his Burrow will 
find him.

We needed Red Zone help and I believe Hurst could be that for us.
A bit of reflection of last tear, Hurst had a meh season with Alt. A bad team  and CJ had a good season with a good team, same will probably happen this year with roles rreversed..  Hurst for sure has not lived up to his draft capital but hopefully he can move the needle this year, the good thing is because he has under performed he was  cheap so if he does not work out not a ton of $$ lost.
Reply/Quote
a Tee Higgins sighting!!

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 04:13 PM)pally Wrote: a Tee Higgins sighting!!

Taylor-Britt played it great. Just a fantastic play by Tee. Great throw too

if that happened to CTB in a big playoff game, people would be calling him trash
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 02:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s obviously early, but that might be a good bet…

Droppin' ballz eh Uzo, not good.

They overpaid Uzo to evidently be a backup.

The Jets. Hilarious

(08-08-2022, 03:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: A bit of reflection of last tear, Hurst had a meh season with Alt. A bad team  and CJ had a good season with a good team, same will probably happen this year with roles rreversed..  Hurst for sure has not lived up to his draft capital but hopefully he can move the needle this year, the good thing is because he has under performed he was  cheap so if he does not work out not a ton of $$ lost.

Agree with all of this Essex. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 04:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Taylor-Britt played it great. Just a fantastic play by Tee. Great throw too

if that happened to CTB in a big playoff game, people would be calling him trash

No doubt, nothing he could do about that. Perfect Offense.

6'4 and a half dude high pointing the ball perfectly. Was a great throw as you say. Maybe Allen is getting better with all the 1st 
team snaps as he was having a pretty rough TC so far getting sacked all the time.
Reply/Quote
Chrisman booting 65 yard punts...look out Kevin Huber he's coming for you

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 01:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fred where do you get this notion that every single NFL players worth/greatness/ability can be determined by their pay ?

(08-08-2022, 02:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Dak Prescott is the greatest QB in the NFL this season?

You guys just don't get it.  Right now all we have are opinions.  And I am taking the opinion of professional talent evaluators from the NFL over you guys.

Sure, every team misses from time to time, but in a majority of cases the better player gets paid better.  Your argument is like using Tom Brady to prove that you are more likely to get a great QB in the sixth round than in the first.

And let me repeat that I feel we got a much better bargain in Hurst.  I just don't see him as a big improvement over Uzomah.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 06:24 PM)pally Wrote: Chrisman booting 65 yard punts...look out Kevin Huber he's coming for you

Pretty sure I said back in the Spring that the sky wouldn't be falling without Huber or the Bengals not drafting Araiza.
I had confidence Chrisman could be a good NFL punter.
He may not be quite as good as Araiza, but with people talking about potentially spending a 4th rounder or higher for a punter, it didn't seem worth it to me.
Also, FWIW, Araiza didn't get drafted until mid-late Rd 6.

Chrisman very well could win the P gig, and he could be good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys just don't get it.  Right now all we have are opinions.  And I am taking the opinion of professional talent evaluators from the NFL over you guys.

Sure, every team misses from time to time, but in a majority of cases the better player gets paid better.  Your argument is like using Tom Brady to prove that you are more likely to get a great QB in the sixth round than in the first.

And let me repeat that I feel we got a much better bargain in Hurst.  I just don't see him as a big improvement over Uzomah.

I agree with you, Fred.

I think Hurst has been put on the backburner in favor of some better receiving TEs in BAL and ATL, but he's no slouch.
With that said, knowing the TE is 4th on the pecking order in Cincy and also knowing Hurst isn't a premier receiving TE, it's unrealistic to think he's going to be some 700+ yard receiving guy.

Realistically, I think 500-700 yards is about where he'll end up. That's better than Uzomah, but it's not a Top-5 TE guy. That's ok.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 06:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with you, Fred.

I think Hurst has been put on the backburner in favor of some better receiving TEs in BAL and ATL, but he's no slouch.
With that said, knowing the TE is 4th on the pecking order in Cincy and also knowing Hurst isn't a premier receiving TE, it's unrealistic to think he's going to be some 700+ yard receiving guy.

Realistically, I think 500-700 yards is about where he'll end up. That's better than Uzomah, but it's not a Top-5 TE guy. That's ok.
In theory production should go up with a better line what I' will watch is if Hurst can surpass CJ with 1/3 reps going for over 20 yards since he is supposed to be better at  that..
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 04:13 PM)pally Wrote: a Tee Higgins sighting!!

Sweet  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
from Darrin Simmons on the punter competition

https://theathletic.com/3488393/2022/08/08/bengals-joe-burrow-zac-taylor/?source=emp_shared_article

“I think they’ve been inconsistent to a degree, both of them in various fashions,” he said. “I think Kevin’s probably working his way back into the timing of getting a live snap and everything live happening. There’s a certain degree of timing and feel that comes into that. I think Drue’s been hitting the ball strongly, but we’ve got to refine some things. We’ve got to refine placement, we’ve got to refine hang time. But I think in terms of power, his strength certainly shows up.”

right now Kevin is winning the holding part of the competition

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys just don't get it.  Right now all we have are opinions.  And I am taking the opinion of professional talent evaluators from the NFL over you guys.

I see Hurtz as an upgrade over Uzomah in terms of on the field productivity. That said, you can't compare what teams are willing to pay players as proof that the "NFL" or "professional talent evaluators" as proof of one player being better than the other. Bad teams almost always HAVE to overpay players to get them to sign with them. That doesn't make said player better. Not to mention if players decide to take a pay cut to play for a variety of reasons.

According to your logic, "professional talent evaluators" think Tom Brady is the 16th best QB in the league behind such greats like Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz and Jimmy Garoppolo, to name a few. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote