Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eifert OUT indefinitely
Palmer wasn't the problem in 06 it was the defense and offensive line.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 05:31 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Thanks brad, I remember this as well.  His long ball was gone that year and he was literally floating every ball 

In '05 Palmer was more of a dink-and-dunk QB than he was in '06.  In '05 over 65 percent of Palmers passes were thrown less than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  In '06 that percentage dropped to 61 percent.

Palmer completed more passes thrown more than 20 yards down field in '06 (25) than he did in '05 (23).

Palmer completed more passes thrown more than 40 yards downfield in '06 (4) than he did in '05 (3).

Palmer averaged more yards per completion in '06 (12.5) than he did in '05 (11.1).

You have no clue what you are talking about.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I watched the injury happen, and it didn't seem that bad at the time. He is out of the boot, so he is on the right path, I feel like usually when a player gets out of a boot he is a month or so away.

I think people dwell too much on times like the Marvin Jones foot incident and disregard full recoveries like Burficts.

We'll see what happens, but I don't think it's time to hit the panic button yet.

Just the way i feel. Well said GCB, we have had some great full recoveries lately and it seems this goes disregarded.

Yet we still are forced to look back at the Braham injury or something from more than a decade ago.

Eifert is out of the boot, that is good news and all that i will think about at this time. No need to cry about what might
be a lingering injury or yet another full recovery. No point in it but to later say i told you so about something we have
nothing to do with. Take your time Eifert and be 100% when you come back boy so we can make a run at the SB.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Call me a big ol' defeatist, but "out until at least week 5" is no worse than I've been thinking.  Ugh, I was bitterly and nervously joking when I said we might be debating whether or not Eifert should stay stateside while the Bengals fly to London to give him an extra 2 weeks to heal up, but here we are.

I agree. A week 5 return is actually better than I was expecting. From what I've read typical recovery time for this surgery is 4-6 months and he had the surgery in May. A full length recovery time would indicate a November return. He's really a PuP candidate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Welcome to what I posted last week. People thinking he would be out there week 1 are crazy. The surgery he had was a 5-6 month recovery. The real culprit here is Eifert. He CHOSE to not have the surgery until May. He directly cost his team. Period. Hopefully he remembers it when he's asking for top 5 money next summer.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched every game in '06.  Palmer looked fine.  Your claim that he would "jump back and not follow through any time a defender was in a five foot radius" just is not true.

Here is what really happened in '06.  In the second game of the season Rich Braham was injured and never returned.  in the 5th game of the season Levi Jones went down with injury and did not return until game 15.  In the 9th game of the year Bobbie Williams went doan and did not return until 4 games later.  These O-line injuries caused our running game to tank (300 fewer yards and a full half yard per carry drop in average) and Carson's protection to break down (sacks almost doubled from 19 to 36).  Despite all of this Palmer threw for more yards, averaged more yards per attempt, and more yards per completion.  He threw 4 fewer tds just because our entire offense dropped of, and he only threw one more interceptions despite attempting more passes.  He had a great season and finished 5th in the league in passing yards and 2nd in tds.
You have no clue what you're talking about.  

Palmer wouldn't follow through and would jump back or just stop anytime a defender got near him.

He even mentioned how he was working on that in the offseason after '06 because he knew it was a problem.

(08-09-2016, 06:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In '05 Palmer was more of a dink-and-dunk QB than he was in '06.  In '05 over 65 percent of Palmers passes were thrown less than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  In '06 that percentage dropped to 61 percent.

Palmer completed more passes thrown more than 20 yards down field in '06 (25) than he did in '05 (23).

Palmer completed more passes thrown more than 40 yards downfield in '06 (4) than he did in '05 (3).

Palmer averaged more yards per completion in '06 (12.5) than he did in '05 (11.1).

His ypc did improve in '06, but it was 7.54 to 7.76, not 11.1 to 12.5.

In the stats that matter, Palmer was worse in '06.

Anyone have a link to any game film so I can have video evidence that Fred has no clue what he is talking about?
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 10:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: His ypc did improve in '06, but it was 7.54 to 7.76, not 11.1 to 12.5.

That is yards per attempt, not yards per completion.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 10:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You have no clue what you're talking about.  

Palmer wouldn't follow through and would jump back or just stop anytime a defender got near him.

Impossible to have the type of year Palmer did in '06 (2nd in tds, 5th in yards, 6th in passer rating) by not following through whenever a defender got close to him.

You are just wrong about this Brad.  Considering the fact that his protection was so much worse in '06, his running game collapsed, and he was forced to play from behind so much more Palmer actually played better in '06 than in '05.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 11:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Impossible to have the type of year Palmer did in '06 (2nd in tds, 5th in yards, 6th in passer rating) by not following through whenever a defender got close to him.

You are just wrong about this Brad.  Considering the fact that his protection was so much worse in '06, his running game collapsed, and he was forced to play from behind so much more Palmer actually played better in '06 than in '05.

Chris Henry was in his second year. And had his career year. We had the best WR corps in the NFL. 

I definitely remember Palmer being antsy any time some got close to his legs.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 11:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Impossible to have the type of year Palmer did in '06 (2nd in tds, 5th in yards, 6th in passer rating) by not following through whenever a defender got close to him.

I'm looking for game films online or at least some highlights because I'm 100% positive that I'm 100% correct, as Nati points out below.  Might not show in highlights because people may not have been close to his legs, although I do remember times when he pulled up that still resulted in big plays.

If you or anyone else know of any, please let me know.
(08-09-2016, 11:54 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Chris Henry was in his second year. And had his career year. We had the best WR corps in the NFL. 

I definitely remember Palmer being antsy any time some got close to his legs.

So does everyone else who watched the Bengals, except for Fred, ironically, even though Palmer himself admitted it.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 02:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Nearly 8 months of increasingly bad news about the injury and people want to start panicking, eh?  Crazy.  Personally, I'm sticking with the original narrative that it's just a bone bruise and won't even require surgery.

Meh, about a week ago there was a thread about completely indispensable players and to my knowledge eiferts name was never mentioned. Now I know that is far from a be all end all statement but I think it speaks volumes. Tyler is an incredible talent and he most definitely makes the offense better. But for as much as I want him to be healthy and play, I also know that him being out isn't a put the seasons success in jeopardy blow. Does it hurt? Sure. Can we overcome it and still win football games? History says yes. So for that I don't see a reason to panic.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 12:06 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm looking for game films online or at least some highlights because I'm 100% positive that I'm 100% correct, as Nati points out below.  Might not show in highlights because people may not have been close to his legs, although I do remember times when he pulled up that still resulted in big plays.

If you or anyone else know of any, please let me know.

So does everyone else who watched the Bengals, except for Fred, ironically, even though Palmer himself admitted it.

Anyone with a memory that watched Palmer the year after he came back should know he refused to plant his front leg when throwing, which caused him to sail the ball all season long. It was a mental thing coming back from knee surgery.
Reply/Quote
Id take Eifert shedding the boot and doing work on his ankle as a good sign. The only thing I took away is that this kind of injury is a tricky one to diagnose and treat, so theres a lot of unknowns at this point.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Remember the time Tyler Eifert showed up halfway through the season and the Bengals won the Super Bowl, do ya?

[Image: 283356_10151147925143616_med.jpeg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched every game in '06.  Palmer looked fine.  Your claim that he would "jump back and not follow through any time a defender was in a five foot radius" just is not true.

Here is what really happened in '06.  In the second game of the season Rich Braham was injured and never returned.  in the 5th game of the season Levi Jones went down with injury and did not return until game 15.  In the 9th game of the year Bobbie Williams went doan and did not return until 4 games later.  These O-line injuries caused our running game to tank (300 fewer yards and a full half yard per carry drop in average) and Carson's protection to break down (sacks almost doubled from 19 to 36).  Despite all of this Palmer threw for more yards, averaged more yards per attempt, and more yards per completion.  He threw 4 fewer tds just because our entire offense dropped of, and he only threw one more interceptions despite attempting more passes.  He had a great season and finished 5th in the league in passing yards and 2nd in tds.

(08-09-2016, 06:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In '05 Palmer was more of a dink-and-dunk QB than he was in '06.  In '05 over 65 percent of Palmers passes were thrown less than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  In '06 that percentage dropped to 61 percent.

(08-10-2016, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Anyone with a memory that watched Palmer the year after he came back should know he refused to plant his front leg when throwing, which caused him to sail the ball all season long. It was a mental thing coming back from knee surgery.

Exactly.

I think Fred's arguing this just to feel like he's right but he's very, very wrong.  
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 01:13 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Cincy Jungle posted today saying that Tyler Eifert's recovery timetable is worse than originally thought. They're saying he may not be able to come back until Week 5, missing Week 4 against the Dolphins.

Given how integral Eifert was to the Bengals' redzone success on offense last year, how do you all think this injury will ultimately affect the Bengals in the short term? We can only hope C.J. Uzomah is the real deal. That redzone production was so vital to our success last year.

You add losing Sanu and Jones and now an injury to Eifert that will make him miss maybe all September and who knows how much of October, and Bengals are very weak at WR and TE. .....and I hope you people don't come on here and ask what the heck is wrong with Andy Dalton. You don't develop the timing with receivers in the NFL overnight. QB Don Meredith said it can take years.  So suddenly we are going to have all these new targets for Dalton to throw to. All with different speeds and timing, running routes a little different. One split second turns a catch into an interception.  So don't be on here wondering what in the heck is wrong with Dalton. 

The schedule is set up for the Bengals to start 0-3......I'm serious. At New York on September 11th....at Pittsburg.....Home to play Super Bowl Denver Broncos and that tough defense. ....I'm hoping we don't start 0-3, but our new offensive coordinator has one huge problem right now.  In an NFL where the pass is king, we may not be able to pass the ball. ....For our sake, some pass catchers better step up in preseason. Dalton needs to get a ton of reps in with these new players to get some timing down before regular season, many reps needed in practice, throwing and throwing and throwing to the main replacements to Sanu, Jones and now Eifert. .....In 4 weeks they take the show to New York, so they don't have much time at all to get the reps in and some timing down. The timing will not be there when we hit New York as we would like, but hopefully enough to get out with a win.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 10:05 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly.

I think Fred's arguing this just to feel like he's right but he's very, very wrong.  

And none of this has anything to do with Eifert.... Who is not a QB and doesn't have to plant his foot to throw.. Try and stay on topic man.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 10:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: And none of this has anything to do with Eifert.... Who is not a QB and doesn't have to plant his foot to throw.. Try and stay on topic man.

Fred was saying that we have had players fully healthy before said recovery time (even though the bengals perpetually seem To have injuries extend past original timelines).  Fred mentioned Palmer has his example, hence the direction of discussion changing.  

All conversation based from original topic

We can digress back to original topic but different opinions lead to good message board discussion. 
Reply/Quote
As far as I know the team is going to let the world think Eifert won't be back so teams will game plan to play with him out then spring him on them half way through the game which kind of goes along with Marvins MO.. Say nothing and let them think we're going to be playing without our big guns..
I'm not saying they're that smart, but I'm ok with that scenario..
Either way the teams success doesn't really hinge on one player.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
That article is based purely on speculation and clickbait. I've was Family Day at Paul Brown stadium and Eifert was walking around without his boot.

It is absolutely ridiculous for the national media, who are not doctors, to think he will miss a lot of games this season. Marvin Lewis and the coaching staff are purposely being very secretive about Eifert's timetable.

They are following the Bill Belichick's way of keeping teams guessing about injuries. Relax guys, Eifert is fine. We will have Tyler Kroft and Uzomah ready for the first game anyway.
Reply/Quote