Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eifert may not be ready for training camp
(04-18-2017, 11:16 AM)Shady Wrote: Howard's stock just shot up with us, for sure. CJ Uzomah might be an ok backup, but he's no Eifert, and he's no OJ Howard. I think we have to scratch Eifert off as a loss. Dude's rarely been healthy. Now this. We don't know when or if he'll ever be able to play again.

It sucks, because it wasn't a position of need until now.  I know there are TEs we could take in the 3rd or 4th Rounds, but they won't be as good as Howard. There are a few players I'd still consider ahead of him. It depends on who else is there – J. Allen, M. Hooker, J. Adams. H. Reddick even. At this point though, I'd have to say Howard could be at the top of our big board.

I am still okay with us looking TE in the 3rd or 4th, but I am not against Howard if he is there in the 1st. There are some really good TE's in this draft.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if it is cause I am getting older or what but these types of players need to be rid of as soon as they start missing most of the season. We need someone in the system that Andy can become familiar with and get some momentum with. He is great on the field, but so far he has been a let down. Sick of his Glass Back.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 11:44 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: I don't know if it is cause I am getting older or what but these types of players need to be rid of as soon as they start missing most of the season.  We need someone in the system that Andy can become familiar with and get some momentum with.  He is great on the field, but so far he has been a let down.  Sick of his Glass Back.

The positive side, if your a gambler, the injuries may drive the price down a bit. It really seems like all TE's from the last couple years are getting hurt more often.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 11:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: The positive side, if your a gambler, the injuries may drive the price down a bit. It really seems like all TE's from the last couple years are getting hurt more often.

Yea. So have Eifert be the #2 TE on the depth chart and used mostly as a receiving threat, kind of like how the Bengals used him his first two years when Gresham was here. You should be able to get some good use out of him periodically and reducing his snaps should give him a higher chance to stay healthy and also drive his price down.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bang Head what else is new?
Reply/Quote
Sigh...at first I hated the idea of drafting OJ Howard because we have other areas that need addressed, but now it's looking like the smart move.

We all saw how an excellent TE changed this offense in 2015. We need to keep that going, even if it's without Eifert.

Plus, I've heard some saying that OJ Howard - with his size/speed combo - will be the best player from this draft when people look back.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 11:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: The positive side, if your a gambler, the injuries may drive the price down a bit. It really seems like all TE's from the last couple years are getting hurt more often.

Yeah, we wouldn't be able to sign him if he was healthy all season and scored 15+ TD's...

(04-18-2017, 12:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea. So have Eifert be the #2 TE on the depth chart and used mostly as a receiving threat, kind of like how the Bengals used him his first two years when Gresham was here. You should be able to get some good use out of him periodically and reducing his snaps should give him a higher chance to stay healthy and also drive his price down.

Not a bad idea if we draft Howard.
Reply/Quote
And just think of all the money we plan to roll over for Eifert's extension. Now that that's likely not going to happen, that money could have went elsewhere. Too late now.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
We could trade back some and snag njoku. Shaheen in the 3rd, maybe. Butt in the fourth. Kittle in the 5th, possibly. Very underrated imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Has anyone read the story lately? Its been edited....

Per article

"An April 17 story incorrectly indicated that Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert was unsure of his status for training camp in 2017. In fact, he said he thinks he will be ready for the start of camp."
Reply/Quote

Not sure what this means.  I would put in a mediocre TE that could get the ball rolling with Andy before depending on a TE that might be in for 4 games of the season.  These players never get enough time together before changes are made.  However, I wouldn't mind if we were done with Eifert.  

http://www.nfl.com/player/tylereifert/2540148/careerstats

Just look at the games played...  When he is in he is solid but I am not holding my breath that he can make it a full season EVER. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 04:05 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Not sure what this means.  I would put in a mediocre TE that could get the ball rolling with Andy before depending on a TE that might be in for 4 games of the season.  These players never get enough time together before changes are made.  However, I wouldn't mind if we were done with Eifert.  

http://www.nfl.com/player/tylereifert/2540148/careerstats

Just look at the games played...  When he is in he is solid but I am not holding my breath that he can make it a full season EVER. 

It means if the injuries have driven his price to a mid level TE you pay him and hope he can get past the injuries. If it doesn't drive it down enough you move on. Everyone has risk vs reward tipping point, it is about getting the right one for Eiffert.
Reply/Quote
Well I'm prepared for an OJ Howard pick now.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 04:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: It means if the injuries have driven his price to a mid level TE you pay him and hope he can get past the injuries. If it doesn't drive it down enough you move on. Everyone has risk vs reward tipping point, it is about getting the right one for Eiffert.

I would Rather go with Kroft, just so we can get the ball rolling for Andy to have a TE he can become familiar with, however this is the type of Coaching Staff we have...  this is a quote from Marvin Lewis on Tyler Eifert

"We had very high expectations for Tyler when we drafted him, and he has met them all," said head coach Marvin Lewis. "He’s a hugely important part of our team as we go forward."  Quote 2016.

We then extended his contract through 2017.

What in the world has he done to meet expectations, other than one solid year.  Notta.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 11:12 AM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: We've heard this narrative before.

Any official time frame with Tyler Eifert, might as well add 4-6 weeks.

Yup! Always seems to be a set back not just with Eifert but any Bengal player. If they say a player will be out a week you can always assume it will be more. Maybe we don't want to show our hand before the draft but I would be willing to bet that once the draft is over reports on Eifert will start to become more and more bleak resulting in Eifert starting the season on IR.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 04:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Well I'm prepared for an OJ Howard pick now.

I am thinking we need Mike Williams and then Later draft a TE...  Someone who is 6'5" or 6'4" at least so we can start going over the top when we can't run the ball in...   If we have Mike Williams and AJ on the out, and then a taller TE going towards the goal post, it will probably be a one on one situation.  Jeremy Sprinkle or Hodges for the red zone area.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 03:12 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Has anyone read the story lately? Its been edited....

Per article

"An April 17 story incorrectly indicated that Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert was unsure of his status for training camp in 2017. In fact, he said he thinks he will be ready for the start of camp."

Is that Hobspin doing the first article and than indicating it was incorrect? LMAO! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
If Eifert did return and they took Howard, the 2TE, 2WR sets would be deadly
Reply/Quote
Hikutini is the name..... Tight End is the game.... and can be had in the 4th round.... He's big enough (6'4", 247lbs)  that the coaches can work on his blocking. As far as his hands, they don't come any better. And, we can use the early picks on other needs......

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/football/nfl-draft-louisville-cole-hikutini-late-tight-end-option-for-dolphins/cuZl9kItcaUshx2Lx4zt9M/
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 04:42 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I would Rather go with Kroft, just so we can get the ball rolling for Andy to have a TE he can become familiar with, however this is the type of Coaching Staff we have...  this is a quote from Marvin Lewis on Tyler Eifert

"We had very high expectations for Tyler when we drafted him, and he has met them all," said head coach Marvin Lewis. "He’s a hugely important part of our team as we go forward."  Quote 2016.

We then extended his contract through 2017.

What in the world has he done to meet expectations, other than one solid year.  Notta.  

I get that the guy is injury prone but to say he hasn't met expectations is ridiculous.

8 Games, 29 receptions, 13.6 avg per catch and 5 TDs and he made a play that was 71 yards last year.

Look at those stats and tell me what more do you want from a guy who has either always dealing with an injury or missed significant time due to an injury. Be mad that he's injury prone all you want but Eifert is a hell of a talent.
Reply/Quote