Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Elephant in the Room
Is it time to panic over Burrow's 4th quarter interceptions? These are happening too frequently from a top tier qb.

He's got to get these interceptions under control.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Yes and no, yesterday’s was pretty flukey. I don’t really blame any QBs on bang bang line tips like that.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 03:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: Is it time to panic over Burrow's 4th quarter interceptions? These are happening too frequently from a top tier qb.

Not panic. Concerned, however, he threw the ball A LOT last year and only threw 5 picks. His explosive plays have sort of balanced out. Still want them to be cleaned up because it will hold us back eventually .
Reply/Quote
I posted this in another thread, but possibly. By EPA per play, Burrow is one of the worst 4th quarter QBs in the league. He also stinks in the first quarter. He is elite in the second and third but really struggles to start and to end.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 03:25 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yes and no, yesterday’s was pretty flukey. I don’t really blame any QBs on bang bang line tips like that.

One of the picks against the Bears was also tipped at the line after Mixon whiffed on his block. Then there’s one’s that are perfectly thrown balls that go right through the WR’s hands.

That’s one thing PFF is ahead of the curve on - - in that they look at “turnover-worthy throws” which is much more indicative of what really happened than just going off stat lines.

Reply/Quote
JB's going to be a superstar; he's just not there yet. He makes mistakes and it seems to take him a little while to get into the flow of the game. Let's let him get a full season under his belt.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Doesn't it seem like he's had more tipped passes the last couple weeks, than the rest of his starts?
Reply/Quote
I don't know if the interceptions he has thrown have been any kind of real trend though. Yesterday's was just a tipped pass on a pre-determined screen play to Chase; just a great play by the defender.
Against Baltimore, it was an obviously bad decision but not one based on an incorrect read or any mechanical issue. He was just being hit and chased and threw up a prayer. You prefer he doesn't throw that ball, but it's not something I'm concerned about.
Against Detroit, his interception was just off of a dropped pass by Chase.
Against Green Bay, the second interception was a miscommunication between Boyd and Burrow. it looked ugly, but it was a play that, had Boyd cut where Burrow expected, would have been a good play.

If all his interceptions were due to one problem, like if all of them were misread defenses or just stupid decisions, I'd be concerned. But the majority of his picks seem to me more like isolated issues that aren't really linked that much. But that may just be my bias talking haha.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 03:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: Is it time to panic over Burrow's 4th quarter interceptions? These are happening too frequently from a top tier qb.

I think it is.. Its cost the team dearly too.. 2 losses , deffinetly came because of INTs...
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 04:36 PM)sloSTI Wrote: Doesn't it seem like he's had more tipped passes the last couple weeks, than the rest of his starts?

That was my thinking as well. It sure seems like he is having more batted balls.
Reply/Quote
Some of his INTs have been fluky, but he's also had some throws that should've been picked and weren't, so it balances out.

I'm concerned about it, but also not. I think it might just be a product of our offense. They're aggressive. Burrow himself loves taking shots. I love that about him, but he's also prone to mental blunders.

This might be something that sorts itself out as he gets older and knows when to hold and when to fold. Maybe we should send him a Kenny Rogers record.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried about Burrow at all!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
What he didn't catch was Shaq Lawson was in the same gap as Quillen Williams was when he dropped an easy interception.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 04:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: JB's going to be a superstar; he's just not there yet. He makes mistakes and it seems to take him a little while to get into the flow of the game. Let's let him get a full season under his belt.

Hell even the GOAT threw a pick 6 yesterday
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 05:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hell even the GOAT threw a pick 6 yesterday

I don't remember Mike White throwing a pick 6 yesterday. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Gunslingers throw INTs from time to time.
Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs in his first season.
Brett Favre threw 24 INTs in his second full season of starting.
Burrow has the same number of INTs as Mahomes, who is elite.

Burrow's only on pace for 19 INTs in a 17-game season.
While that's not great, it's not terrible.

He's also on pace to throw for 4700 yards and 42 TDs, which is pretty good.
He also has a 108.0 QB Rating, which is 6th highest in the league.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 04:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some of his INTs have been fluky, but he's also had some throws that should've been picked and weren't, so it balances out.

I'm concerned about it, but also not. I think it might just be a product of our offense. They're aggressive. Burrow himself loves taking shots. I love that about him, but he's also prone to mental blunders.

This might be something that sorts itself out as he gets older and knows when to hold and when to fold. Maybe we should send him a Kenny Rogers record.

And, he's pretty thin, so maybe some of Kenny's chicken, too.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

(11-01-2021, 05:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hell even the GOAT threw a pick 6 yesterday

Yep, happens to the best of them.  Favre threw an average of one-plus picks per game over two decades.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 05:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Gunslingers throw INTs from time to time.
Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs in his first season.
Brett Favre threw 24 INTs in his second full season of starting.
Burrow has the same number of INTs as Mahomes, who is elite.

Burrow's only on pace for 19 INTs in a 17-game season.
While that's not great, it's not terrible.

He's also on pace to throw for 4700 yards and 42 TDs, which is pretty good.
He also has a 108.0 QB Rating, which is 6th highest in the league.

Peyton and Favre are common names to bring up but those seasons occurred in a different era. In the modern NFL, 19 interceptions is awful, quite frankly. Since 2010, there has been 463 occurrences where the QB attempted 150 or more passes. If Burrow throws 19 interceptions, that will be tied for the 18th most interceptions since 2010.

Hell, if you push that back to 2005, 19 interceptions would be tied for the 29th most. Since 2015, it would be the 6th most. I would classify that as terrible in the modern NFL. Today’s NFL is all about efficiency and INTs are killer.

Aside from those picks, though, Burrow is a flat out stud and I do think he is going to get them fixed.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 05:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't remember Mike White throwing a pick 6 yesterday. Ninja

Ordering up that jersey for Christmas.  Hilarious

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Burrow is currently first in Interceptions. If this wasn't the case we probably have a better record and Burrow is a leading MVP candidate.
Reply/Quote