Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eli Apple
I know he had a slow start to the season, but Apple has been a huge acquisition for this team. If the best ability is availability, he has played almost every snap this season and really found his stride against Jacksonville.

I am not sure who he was matched up against, but according to PFF, he had an overall rating of 76.9, with a coverage grade of 80.9. That is flat out getting it done. For the money he is being paid, he is probably the biggest value find of the offseason.

One thing he got roasted for in the Chicago game was shoving that WR out of bounds. I didn't realize that is NOT A PENALTY if the QB breaks the pocket, but he was flagged because the ball was in the air. Sure, he needs to see that and had no need to shove the guy out of bounds, but overall, the play of this guy has been excellent aside from a couple plays against Minnesota and the Bears.

The coaches worked with him and now he is a quality starting-caliber CB.

As hard as we all were on the guy at the beginning of the season, he is a big reason why the Bengals are 3-1.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He’s been decent as the season has progressed, but nervous about how he will be against Rodgers. I all but guarantee they’ve seen the tape and have taken notes on who the weakest link ok the Bengals has been. He’ll be tested this weekend for sure.

Side note: Lawrence picked on Hilton a bit on Thursday as well… curious to see if that continues as the season goes on. Hoping it was just sore Thursday night type of thing.
Reply/Quote
It's literally been 1 drive a game, where he's F'd up (save for Jax), but on those 1 drive a games, he was EGREGIOUSLY bad, with the penalty and missed tackle on 3rd and VERY long (AND the TD given up) against Minnesota, the push OB and big gain against the Bears and giving up a large completion (again on 3rd down, IIRC) to Diontae Johnson.

Other than those 3 drives, he's been much better than LeShaun Sims or the (VERY) few times B.W. Webb had a good game.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree, better than Sims and Webb. Not saying much but he is a CB that has played a lot on a top 10 defense. He's played more than we needed him to, but we seem to manage better with him in then we have other Lou reclamation projects.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
PFR has him with 7 missed tackles so far, for a 25.9% missed tackle rate. That's absolutely brutal.

According to their numbers he's actually not allowed a ton in coverage. Not great, but a 86.8 QB Rating (league average QB Rating right now is 95.9). The 3 accepted penalties certainly stick out, though.

Worse than you'd hope, but at least still better than Sims.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 12:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: PFR has him with 7 missed tackles so far, for a 25.9% missed tackle rate. That's absolutely brutal.

According to their numbers he's actually not allowed a ton in coverage. Not great, but a 86.8 QB Rating (league average QB Rating right now is 95.9). The 3 accepted penalties certainly stick out, though.

Worse than you'd hope, but at least still better than Sims.

He has gotten progressively better each game, though, and has been a huge help to this defense.  Played almost every snap.  Awuzie and Waynes have not.  

Awuzie has been an absolute steal, but so far, Apple deserves a lot of credit for his play as a backup.  

Trae Waynes had a 55 coverage grade against Jax.  
Reply/Quote
He’s been better than fans have given him credit for while still being a pretty significant liability. Offenses are eager to throw his way. I think he’s fair depth and will be at his best in the packages he was signed for — behind Awuzie and Waynes.
Reply/Quote
Eli Apple is trending upward. After an inauspicious beginning to the season he has steadily improved in every game. This bodes well because it means Lou Anarumo has the ability to coach somebody to fit his scheme. Sometimes we forget a veteran like Eli Apple who played for another team using a different scheme has an almost insurmountable learning curve at first.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 12:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He’s been decent as the season has progressed, but nervous about how he will be against Rodgers. I all but guarantee they’ve seen the tape and have taken notes on who the weakest link ok the Bengals has been. He’ll be tested this weekend for sure.

Side note: Lawrence picked on Hilton a bit on Thursday as well… curious to see if that continues as the season goes on. Hoping it was just sore Thursday night type of thing.

He'll spend most, if not all, of the game on the sidelines if Awuzie is healthy and now that Waynes is back in the starting lineup.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 01:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He has gotten progressively better each game, though, and has been a huge help to this defense.  Played almost every snap.  Awuzie and Waynes have not.  

Awuzie has been an absolute steal, but so far, Apple deserves a lot of credit for his play as a backup.  

Trae Waynes had a 55 coverage grade against Jax.  

Pretty sure you can look back and find I was never a fan of that signing. That said I do hope/expect him to get at least a little better over the next game or two and become an okay starter. Absolutely had to expect quite a bit of rust since he hadn't played in a football game in almost 2 calendar years.

Apple isn't great, but I am fine with him as a 4th CB, so long as he cleans up the missed tackles.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
You know the team is improving when we start talking about the performance of our dime CB
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 01:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He'll spend most, if not all, of the game on the sidelines if Awuzie is healthy and now that Waynes is back in the starting lineup.

Exactly.  I think this post went over a lot of people's heads.  I am not saying he should be starting over Waynes or Awuzie, but that he has been improving and is QUALITY DEPTH.  Damn, no one wants to give him any credit, but he has been out there almost every snap and is a part of the reason the team is 3-1.  

Oh, and Apple is being paid $1.2 million this year, or roughly $16 million less than Waynes.  But, what do I know...the guy missed some tackles and made a dumb penalty so he can never improve or get any kudos for his contributions.  He will forever be relegated to the "he sucks" moniker.  
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 01:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty sure you can look back and find I was never a fan of that signing. That said I do hope/expect him to get at least a little better over the next game or two and become an okay starter. Absolutely had to expect quite a bit of rust since he hadn't played in a football game in almost 2 calendar years.

Apple isn't great, but I am fine with him as a 4th CB, so long as he cleans up the missed tackles.

I didn't mean to make this about Waynes, but just trying to point out for reference how a guy making $17 million performed compared to the $1.2 million Apple.  

He isn't great, but he did play great against Jax and we really needed him that game with Awuzie out.  
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 01:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You know the team is improving when we start talking about the performance of our dime CB

True. I believe he is still my least favorite defensive player right now. 
Reply/Quote
Aside from a couple wtf moments, he’s been solid. You really can’t ask more than that out of your #4-5 CB. CBs get beat all the time, the league is set up for pass catchers. The key really is “have a short memory” and “onto the next play” with this position group more so than any other, in my opinion. He’s a good depth piece to have that’s for sure, it’s allowed us to ease Waynes back with he and Phillips rotating in or spot starting.
Reply/Quote
as long as hilton, awuzie, and waynes are all healthy, I have no issue with Apple
Reply/Quote
Waynes is on today's injury report.

Anyone care to guess the ailment?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 05:56 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Waynes is on today's injury report.

Hair injury?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 05:56 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Waynes is on today's injury report.

splintered labia
Reply/Quote
They're not all world beaters, so I'll take decent.

Plus it's not like he's Kirkpatrick committing 2 PI's a game.
Reply/Quote