Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Eli Apple
(03-15-2023, 05:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: The one person we can't seem to get rid of. One of the reasons we've lost so much goodwill with NFL Fandom who once favored this up and coming team over the likes of KC and Buffalo.

Now they root for our demise and highlight Mixon's warrants/raids and our FA losses with glee's and I told you so's..

It all started with one (bad) Apple.

If you want to know if a Bengals fan is even halfway knowledgeable about our team, simply ask their opinion of Eli Apple.

If it is negative like this, they probably know very very little.  It is actually embarrassing.

We signed Eli for 1.2M in 2021 to play CB4.  Waynes injury forced him to play CB2 all season, all the way to the SB.

Last year we signed Eli for 2.9 to play CB2 until CBT was ready to take his spot then be CB4.  Awuzie goes down and the guy plays CB1 for 10 straight wins all the way to the AFC title game.  (Our superstar Bates was responsible for both TDs that game while Eli had one of his best outings.)

To not realize that Eli has been by far the best non-rookie when it comes to production-over-expectation and production-over-cost is mind-numbing, all the while playing the most difficult position on defense.

We have fans that dont like him because of his twitter and not playing awesome while we pay him the absolute lowest amount for any CB2 last year and CB1 this season.

Makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.  I expect this on FB and Twitter, but not here...  seriously jj?

We need as many Eli's as possible the next decade, IMHO.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:12 PM)Synric Wrote: I see it as insurance in-case Chido isn't ready and not forcing a rookie into that spot. If Chido is ready you have a good experienced number 4 corner. Also Corner is one of the position groups that see more injuries than most. This was a smart move.

I agree. Haven’t seen the numbers yet but I’m ok with him being back. I still expect a cb drafted in the first 3-4 rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Apple is good but he is also good for getting burnt badly every 2-3 games. Do wish he’d keep his mouth shut as he’s solid but far from a shut down corner. I believe he’s very tight with Lou.
Reply/Quote
Okay so now we are complaining about not creating a hole in the roster? Yesterday the complaint was creating them.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Keeping Apple provides depth.
I'm ok with this.
Still think it's worth drafting a CB (could be Day 3 now though) to groom as a potential future starter down the road.
But Flowers' spot is up for grabs too, which the draft pick could fill.

Adequate signing as long as not too expensive (remember how we were ok when Maualuga was re-signed only to say "DAFUQ?!" when we found out how much they signed him for? lol)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If you want to know if a Bengals fan is even halfway knowledgeable about our team, simply ask their opinion of Eli Apple.

If it is negative like this, they probably know very very little.  It is actually embarrassing.

We signed Eli for 1.2M in 2021 to play CB4.  Waynes injury forced him to play CB2 all season, all the way to the SB.

Last year we signed Eli for 2.9 to play CB2 until CBT was ready to take his spot then be CB4.  Awuzie goes down and the guy plays CB1 for 10 straight wins all the way to the AFC title game.  (Our superstar Bates was responsible for both TDs that game while Eli had one of his best outings.)

To not realize that Eli has been by far the best non-rookie when it comes to production-over-expectation and production-over-cost is mind-numbing, all the while playing the most difficult position on defense.

We have fans that dont like him because of his twitter and not playing awesome while we pay him the absolute lowest amount for any CB2 last year and CB1 this season.

Makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.  I expect this on FB and Twitter, but not here...  seriously jj?

I'm human. I'm allowed to agree that his cigar interview was cringeworthy and he shouldn't have taken his shot at Hamlin amongst other things... Can't we think on our own? Or do we all have to think the same.... 

Hate to break it to you but his act is old with a lot of people..... Even Bengals fans.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Lol god dammit
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Okay so now we are complaining about not creating a hole in the roster?  Yesterday the complaint was creating them.

Was Apple a hole? We drafted his replacement in CTB who showed he can handle it.... Apples exactly the type of player we needed to let walk. Unlike the other positions we lost with no proven talent behind them.....

CB was always in the plans to draft early for depth and a future replacement of Chido.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eh...Apple is actually better than many think.

We will see how it goes without Bell and Bates.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If you want to know if a Bengals fan is even halfway knowledgeable about our team, simply ask their opinion of Eli Apple.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Other than his first few games here Eli has been an integral part of our success. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm human. I'm allowed to agree that his cigar interview was cringeworthy and he shouldn't have taken his shot at Hamlin amongst other things... Can't we think on our own? Or do we all have to think the same.... 

Hate to break it to you but his act is old with a lot of people..... Even Bengals fans.

Think what you want, but how much more amateur can one be when you are upset over a cigar instead of production on the field... all the way to the SB - before Apple it was over 30 years, then 10 straight wins - never done before, and we do it with a guy making pennies at CB1, and the AFC title game - never went back to back like that before Apple.

Cry me a f-ing river over his personal spats on social media. NO non-rookie did better based upon cost or expectation the last 2 years.  And we sign him and his experience for depth and you dont like it?  You make me want to throw up in your purse... 

Reply/Quote
Which game was it when Eli and CTB flip sides of the field? That was a game changer Eli played just as well on the right side and CTB looked more comfortable on the left which and I might be mistaken is where he played mostly in college. I'm pretty sure though lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Whatever. Yall been screaming about Bell being replaceable, Bates being replaceable, Hurst being replaceable, Perine being replaceable... And it's Apple of all people yall want to rally around as needed to return? A hole we would have created if we let him walk! Yall even was willing to let go of Pratt!

At this point yall just desperate for a signing.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Was Apple a hole? We drafted his replacement in CTB who showed he can handle it.... Apples exactly the type of player we needed to let walk. Unlike the other positions we lost with no proven talent behind them.....

CB was always in the plans to draft early for depth and a future replacement of Chido.

Apple was never signed to be a starter... he was forced into it twice and we were more successful than any time you can probably remember.  

People on Youtube and Twitter make the same stupid comment, "we already have Chido and Hilton and CTB, we dont need Apple"... as if all three of these guys did not miss a ton of games last season.   Lets have safeties playing CB again right?

You should know better than this, the guy is a backup that cost us nothing and won a lot of games.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Was Apple a hole? We drafted his replacement in CTB who showed he can handle it.... Apples exactly the type of player we needed to let walk. Unlike the other positions we lost with no proven talent behind them.....

You do realize in the NFL it is probably a good idea to have more than one decent player at each position? 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I mean I do realize that but I thought otherwise after hearing how replaceable everyone else was.....

Reply/Quote
This is solid and opens up our draft.

Plain....and....simple.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Whatever. Yall been screaming about Bell being replaceable, Bates being replaceable, Hurst being replaceable, Perine being replaceable... And it's Apple of all people yall want to rally around as needed to return? A hole we would have created if we let him walk! Yall even was willing to let go of Pratt!

Yup.

Not even a confirmed signing yet, but people getting hyped over Eli Ass-pull? Really?
Reply/Quote
Good news, finally someone I expected to be back, is lol

I thought Eli Apple was our kind of A-Hole. Smirk

But seriously, Eli has been a very nice pickup for us and has helped us make deep runs in the Playoffs 2 years in a row. He CAN
fill in if a starter goes down on the edge which is a rarity with your 4th Corner.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Whatever. Yall been screaming about Bell being replaceable, Bates being replaceable, Hurst being replaceable, Perine being replaceable... And it's Apple of all people yall want to rally around as needed to return? A hole we would have created if we let him walk! Yall even was willing to let go of Pratt!

Again, you are not making sense, Apple is a backup, we need backups, especially experienced ones in this depleted secondary...

You are failing so terribly.

Bates is replaced with a better athlete on a rookie deal we can afford.

We love Bell, but we should have no problem signing a more athletic safety that allows us to be more flexible on the filed and financially.

You are upset because we re-singed a backup with 38 starts in OUR defense in the biggest games we have played in 30 years.....

Are you hearing yourself?

Reply/Quote