Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Eli Apple
I'm good with apple. I do like that it frees us up to build with a corner in the draft instead of free agency. But saying that I hope we pick up another position here soon. The only thing I don't like about Apple is he seems like most of our corners to not be very interception prone which is something we need more.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:28 PM)Synric Wrote: If this Apple news is on the up and up the Bengals will be returning 9 of 11 starters on defense with a 1st round redshirt to replace one of the openings. They need to fill that other safety spot preferably with a veteran but all in all the Bengals Defense is in good shape.

Edit: Most of the Defensive Depth will be returning too. Tre Flowers and Clay Johnston are the only free agents left I believe.

Would be for bringing both Flowers and Johnston back as well.
Reply/Quote
Good move!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I guess that mans you are upset that we are giving Burrow a big contract and attempting to extend other stars instead of paying $85M to a low value position? 

I'll take Burrow, Tee and Chase over any Safeties not named Ed Reed. 

But you have your preference... no doubt a 28 yr old Von Bell could have taken us to the promised land, maybe we could have played him both ways?

This might help explain why we cant pay low-value positions

I'm just gonna say the defense was the biggest reason for our deep runs the past two seasons. I want to keep Tee but without better protection and the defense playing at or near that level Tee Chase and Burrow isn't enough to win it all. We probably don't even make it out of the 1st Rd without Bates and Bell making amazing plays at the goal line against Baltimore. 
Reply/Quote
Happy if true, but what's the source for this signing besides an apple icon on a Twitter account?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:28 PM)Synric Wrote: If this Apple news is on the up and up the Bengals will be returning 9 of 11 starters on defense with a 1st round redshirt to replace one of the openings. They need to fill that other safety spot preferably with a veteran but all in all the Bengals Defense is in good shape.

Edit: Most of the Defensive Depth will be returning too. Tre Flowers and Clay Johnston are the only free agents left I believe.

IDK if we carry 6 LBs again, either. 

Guys who are Signed, Sealed, Delivered: 

DE (5):  Hendrickson, Hubbard; Ossai, C. Sample, Gunter
NT/DT (5): Reader, BJ Hill; Tupou, Carter, Tufele
LB (5): L. Wilson, Pratt; ADG, Bailey, Bachie
CB (5): Awuzie, CTB, Hilton; Apple, ???, Davis 
S (4): D. Hill, ????; Anderson, Thomas, B. Wilson  

Some guys may get upgraded via draft or FA (Gunter, Tufele, Carter, Tupou) or straight up let go (B. Wilson). One more CB signing (draft, Flowers, George) and a FA safety and the D is fully loaded and pending upgrades. 
Reply/Quote
If it’s anywhere near his price tag from last year then this is a great signing. His play has far exceeded his paycheck the last two years and is great for what he is. We don’t pay him like a top 2 CB but he has stepped in fine when needed. Hopefully he’ll be outside CB#3 once Awuzie is healthy, and that is a damn fine #3 to have when needed
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
FWIW, I have not seen this "news" picked up by anyone else.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:42 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm just gonna say the defense was the biggest reason for our deep runs the past two seasons. I want to keep Tee but without better protection and the defense playing at or near that level Tee Chase and Burrow isn't enough to win it all. We probably don't even make it out of the 1st Rd without Bates and Bell making amazing plays at the goal line against Baltimore. 

I dont disagree, but I dont see us paying top dollar at safety for a long while.  If we are talking about taking our oline from below average to very good.... that is a different story.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Okay so now we are complaining about not creating a hole in the roster?  Yesterday the complaint was creating them.

Welcome to the Free Agency time! It used to be a lot worse.....but it was warranted then. I participated in the griping, but was never doom and gloom, just pissed that they didn't address obvious needs. 

Now we have some superstar players and several good ones, it's inevitable you'll lose some, and not be able to spend big in FA at times during the lifespan of this core. It's different when you're rational, realistic, and objective. You know going in what's probably going to happen. They even said they'd be a little conservative in FA this season. The desperate Falcons WAY overpaid for Bates. I laughed at them when I saw that deal. Perine? Overpaid. Hurst? LoL. Losing Bell did suck, but thems the breaks. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:11 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Great! This is the exact opposite FA I was hoping for. I knew we wouldn’t go after anyone big, I get it but damn to let Hurst, Perine & Bell go kinda sucks. Thought we would at least keep Hurst. After seeing what he got, I don’t blame the dude. Really thought this would be the end of Apple & Mixon. Looks like their both here to stay. Damnit.

I have no qualms with Apple.....now Mixon, on the other hand, can go. Too expensive, not enough production, and now all of the off field bullshit. I wish they'd get his ass out of here. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:42 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm just gonna say the defense was the biggest reason for our deep runs the past two seasons. I want to keep Tee but without better protection and the defense playing at or near that level Tee Chase and Burrow isn't enough to win it all. We probably don't even make it out of the 1st Rd without Bates and Bell making amazing plays at the goal line against Baltimore. 

What about Eli Apple's play on the goaline against KC in 2021?  Mellow

Reply/Quote
It's going to be SUUUPER interesting to see how good some of these CBs are now that our safety net (Bates, Bell) are gone. Those guys covered up a ton of deficiencies/mistakes.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 08:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: I have no qualms with Apple.....now Mixon, on the other hand, can go. Too expensive, not enough production, and now all of the off field bullshit. I wish they'd get his ass out of here. 

Yep X1,000

I have zero problems with Apple being back. And I do hope Mixon is gone. He makes waayy to much for what he brings to the table. Spend it on the Oline.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Okay so now we are complaining about not creating a hole in the roster?  Yesterday the complaint was creating them.

If he signed someplace else the Bengals would have got crap for letting him walk by some of the same people crying we signed him. Some are just looking for a reason to trash the Bengals and front office.
Reply/Quote
Reheat the toast
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
So is there an actual report of this signing?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 08:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: What about Eli Apple's play on the goaline against KC in 2021?  Mellow

Hey I like Eli and I'm glad we brought him back and hopefully we can hit on another CB this draft which can probably be a little bit later bringing him back. 
But if you want my opinion of that play Apple was there and made a good play but if Tyreek would've fought for that touchdown he probably scores.
Just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he isn't back.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:06 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: So is there an actual report of this signing?

I can't find one.
Reply/Quote