Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Eli Apple
(03-15-2023, 05:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If you want to know if a Bengals fan is even halfway knowledgeable about our team, simply ask their opinion of Eli Apple.

If it is negative like this, they probably know very very little.  It is actually embarrassing.

We signed Eli for 1.2M in 2021 to play CB4.  Waynes injury forced him to play CB2 all season, all the way to the SB.

Last year we signed Eli for 2.9 to play CB2 until CBT was ready to take his spot then be CB4.  Awuzie goes down and the guy plays CB1 for 10 straight wins all the way to the AFC title game.  (Our superstar Bates was responsible for both TDs that game while Eli had one of his best outings.)

To not realize that Eli has been by far the best non-rookie when it comes to production-over-expectation and production-over-cost is mind-numbing, all the while playing the most difficult position on defense.

We have fans that dont like him because of his twitter and not playing awesome while we pay him the absolute lowest amount for any CB2 last year and CB1 this season.

Makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.  I expect this on FB and Twitter, but not here...  seriously jj?

We need as many Eli's as possible the next decade, IMHO.

I regret that I have but one rep to give for this post. 

Spot on. 
Reply/Quote
Backups are exactly who we need to be drafting in win now mode. Not the starters we need to draft now.... That's why Apple WAS replaceable. I'm not going to be sold that he wasn't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:58 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Yup.

Not even a confirmed signing yet, but people getting hyped over Eli Ass-pull? Really?

Lol, arent you the one that was crying 2 days before free agency started?

You two can complain about backups that cost us nothing but give excellent production when starters go down without costing us any money.

Here is a secret that you obviously do not know.... we will win nothing in the future if we cant get more reliable cheap guys like Eli moving forward, injuries will happen and cap space will be limited.  Stop embarrassing yourself this week.

Reply/Quote
Per three dog night the prophecy has been fulfilled. With the losses that we took at safety we really needed to keep chemistry in the defensive backfield this is really a bargain also.
Reply/Quote
Just sure wish someone would ban Apple from social media... and interviews.

I sure hope it's not for a lot of money and no future commitments.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Again, you are not making sense, Apple is a backup, we need backups, especially experienced ones in this depleted secondary...

You are failing so terribly.

Bates is replaced with a better athlete on a rookie deal we can afford.

We love Bell, but we should have no problem signing a more athletic safety that allows us to be more flexible on the filed and financially.

You are upset because we re-singed a backup with 38 starts in OUR defense in the biggest games we have played in 30 years.....

Are you hearing yourself?

With no experience and never tested. Unlike the player who is set to replace Apple.

I'm upset we lost the STARTERS on that defense with all those starts in the biggest games we've played in 30 years.... 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Backups are exactly who we need to be drafting in win now mode. Not the starters we need to draft now.... That's why Apple WAS replaceable. I'm not going to be sold that he wasn't.

And you are entitled to your opinion. But so is everyone else. Plus a rookie wouldn't have the experience of Apple obviously. 

The irony of this debate is that I haven't seen any solid proof that he's being re-signed.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Backups are exactly who we need to be drafting in win now mode. Not the starters we need to draft now.... That's why Apple WAS replaceable. I'm not going to be sold that he wasn't.

If Apple signed another cost-nothing contract this season, it is stupid to think that a potential rookie is a better option if Chido is not ready to go at the start of the season.  

You guys need to be on FB with these takes.... just my opinion of course.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:04 PM)Mer Wrote: Plus a rookie wouldn't have the experience of Apple obviously. 

Interesting since we've been hearing all week of how we'd replace these lost starters in the draft.... Now experience matters again.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: it is stupid to think that a potential rookie is a better option if Chido is not ready to go at the start of the season.  

He calling yall stupid for thinking we'd replace our star starters we lost with rookies.... 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: With no experience and never tested. Unlike the player who is set to replace Apple.

I'm upset we lost the STARTERS on that defense with all those starts in the biggest games we've played in 30 years.... 

I guess that mans you are upset that we are giving Burrow a big contract and attempting to extend other stars instead of paying $85M to a low value position? 

I'll take Burrow, Tee and Chase over any Safeties not named Ed Reed. 

But you have your preference... no doubt a 28 yr old Von Bell could have taken us to the promised land, maybe we could have played him both ways?

This might help explain why we cant pay low-value positions

Reply/Quote
Great! This is the exact opposite FA I was hoping for. I knew we wouldn’t go after anyone big, I get it but damn to let Hurst, Perine & Bell go kinda sucks. Thought we would at least keep Hurst. After seeing what he got, I don’t blame the dude. Really thought this would be the end of Apple & Mixon. Looks like their both here to stay. Damnit.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: Interesting since we've been hearing all week of how we'd replace these lost starters in the draft.... Now experience matters again.

(03-15-2023, 06:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: He calling yall stupid for thinking we'd replace our star starters we lost with rookies.... 

I never once said to replace any starter with a rookie.  I simply like very low cost vets that have experience in the system and have proven they can hold up when called upon.  It is childish to try and get people on your side with this ignorant take... "He calling yall stupid", how old are you?

Reply/Quote
I haven't looked at the details, but if he's cheap like before then that's a great signing. He's actually been a backup for us the last couple years, but he's played due to injuries. What a great backup to have. Plus, we're obviously keeping Burrow, Chase and Higgins. I don't know why people expect us to keep everyone when those 3 are going to make an insane amount in the upcoming years. Plus the coaches might be really high on Dax Hill, so they weren't too afraid to let the other two go.
Reply/Quote

I don't even understand what you are saying at this point JJ22. Just too much negativism to even sound rational anymore.

Apple started for us last year when our starter went down and we won 10 games in a row and went to another AFC Championship
with him starting and damn near went to the SB once again. Sure, the dude is a loud mouth off the field and he should have his 
twitter account shut down but he isn't a bad player and any backup that can come in and play well is welcome.

Not often to have these types of backups. If we had this type of depth at RG and RT in the AFCC we might be holding the Lombardi
right now for all we know.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 06:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, arent you the one that was crying 2 days before free agency started?

You two can complain about backups that cost us nothing but give excellent production when starters go down without costing us any money.

Here is a secret that you obviously do not know.... we will win nothing in the future if we cant get more reliable cheap guys like Eli moving forward, injuries will happen and cap space will be limited.  Stop embarrassing yourself this week.

Whatever you say, Denny.
Reply/Quote
Glad to have him back he has been a solid player helping us win a lot of games the past two years. Always need depth at the CB position.
Reply/Quote
If this Apple news is on the up and up the Bengals will be returning 9 of 11 starters on defense with a 1st round redshirt to replace one of the openings. They need to fill that other safety spot preferably with a veteran but all in all the Bengals Defense is in good shape.

Edit: Most of the Defensive Depth will be returning too. Tre Flowers and Clay Johnston are the only free agents left I believe.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If you want to know if a Bengals fan is even halfway knowledgeable about our team, simply ask their opinion of Eli Apple.

If it is negative like this, they probably know very very little.  It is actually embarrassing.

We signed Eli for 1.2M in 2021 to play CB4.  Waynes injury forced him to play CB2 all season, all the way to the SB.

Last year we signed Eli for 2.9 to play CB2 until CBT was ready to take his spot then be CB4.  Awuzie goes down and the guy plays CB1 for 10 straight wins all the way to the AFC title game.  (Our superstar Bates was responsible for both TDs that game while Eli had one of his best outings.)

To not realize that Eli has been by far the best non-rookie when it comes to production-over-expectation and production-over-cost is mind-numbing, all the while playing the most difficult position on defense.

We have fans that dont like him because of his twitter and not playing awesome while we pay him the absolute lowest amount for any CB2 last year and CB1 this season.

Makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.  I expect this on FB and Twitter, but not here...  seriously jj?

We need as many Eli's as possible the next decade, IMHO.

Spot on post!!!!!!!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: I mean I do realize that but I thought otherwise after hearing how replaceable everyone else was.....

Apple is not costing us $7 mil a year, nor $16. It is about bang for the buck. 

IDK the terms, yet, but if it is close to the last two years, that's a bargain. 
Reply/Quote