Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enviromental Pollution Agency
(08-12-2015, 02:31 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Corporations will cut corners in favor of profits.  Their bottom line is in their interests not your well being. If there was no government oversight businesses would straight up exploit and abuse workers and resources.  It's not even debatable really.  History has shown it to be true.

History is without technology and information.

You do realize GOVERNMENTS exploit and abuse all the time too? 

If the EPA disappeared tomorrow, things wouldn't change. Businesses would see it as a chance to be the "good ones" 
Someone would see the demand for a business watchdog and create one. 

If everyone is dead, having a business is useless. 
(08-12-2015, 02:36 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: History is without technology and information.

If the EPA disappeared tomorrow, things wouldn't change. Businesses would see it as a chance to be the "good ones" 

The businesses would just cover up their pollutants if no one is inspecting them. What makes you think that a "business watchdog" would be created? and if they are who do you think would be funding them?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-12-2015, 02:43 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The businesses would just cover up their pollutants if no one is inspecting them. What makes you think that a "business watchdog" would be created? and if they are who do you think would be funding them?

Who do you think is funding the EPA?

What makes me think one would be created? Because there would be a market demand. Someone would see that and create their business. 
(08-12-2015, 02:36 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: History is without technology and information.

I'm well aware that the government can and have abused their power.

However that doesn't mean that businesses wouldn't or couldn't do the same. History has plenty of technology and information, it was just different than it is today. I'm pretty sure that a lot of businesses would abuse its workers and/or resources if left unmonitored.
(08-12-2015, 02:49 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I'm well aware that the government can and have abused their power.

However that doesn't mean that businesses wouldn't or couldn't do the same. History has plenty of technology and information, it was just different than it is today. I'm pretty sure that a lot of businesses would abuse its workers and/or resources if left unmonitored.

In the United States? Doubtful.
They'd go belly up.

At no point in time in history has the technology and information been as readily available and easy to spread as it is now. Except for early man where there were only 3 people to grunt at. 

It's different because IT ***** SUCKED THEN. 

People thought smoking was good for you once. Even taught smoking etiquette to ladies in school. Hey, that's technology and information right? Please. You know damn well what I meant. 

If a company abused it's workers now, that shit would be on CNN and Fox News by 8pm. 

Why? Because everyone is armed with a camera phone. It's not word of mouth. 

If you get caught doing awful things, you will change or perish. 
(08-12-2015, 02:46 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Who do you think is funding the EPA?

What makes me think one would be created? Because there would be a market demand. Someone would see that and create their business. 

The Government is funding it.

If one was a private business people aren't going to pay for them to tell everyone what businesses are doing. What product are they providing that someone would pay them for?
(08-12-2015, 02:54 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Government is funding it.

If one was a private business people aren't going to pay for them to tell everyone what businesses are doing. What product are they providing that someone would pay them for?

Competitors. Environmental groups. Governments could hire them. But they wouldn't be strictly relying on tax dollars to run and they wouldn't have the ability to snatch land. 
(08-12-2015, 02:56 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Competitors. Environmental groups. Governments could hire them. But they wouldn't be strictly relying on tax dollars to run and they wouldn't have the ability to snatch land. 

So you're saying the businesses would willingly give up all their dirty little secrets to a private organization? that's pretty naive. They have to give every little detail to the EPA because it's got government power behind it.
(08-12-2015, 03:02 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: So you're saying the businesses would willingly give up all their dirty little secrets to a private organization? that's pretty naive. They have to give every little detail to the EPA because it's got government power behind it.

And you don't see the hilarious flaw in that?

I digress....give them up? No. Get investigated and found out? Yes. 

Hell, I'm sure some would even run a transparent company in regards to that.
(08-12-2015, 03:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And you don't see the hilarious flaw in that?

I digress....give them up? No. Get investigated and found out? Yes. 

Hell, I'm sure some would even run a transparent company in regards to that.

How is that a bad thing? Why should a company have privacy from the government?

How would the "watchdog company" be able to find out anything? Break into their building? Trespass on their properties? You are just very naive on this subject. Businesses don't care about anything other than their bottom line. They would just buy one of those "watchdog companies" and give out the information they want to give out to seem like they are environmentally friendly.
(08-12-2015, 03:14 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: How is that a bad thing? Why should a company have privacy from the government?

Okay we're done here. 
(08-12-2015, 02:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote:
Quote:In the United States? Doubtful.
They'd go belly up.

yes in the United States, why do you think strikes happened?

Quote:At no point in time in history has the technology and information been as readily available and easy to spread as it is now. Except for early man where there were only 3 people to grunt at.
 it's still been there, and just as available, just in a different form.  Again it's why strikes and revolutions happen.

Quote:It's different because IT ***** SUCKED THEN. 
It sucked until the ***** government stepped in and said "hey you can't exploit your workers and/or resources."

Quote:People thought smoking was good for you once. Even taught smoking etiquette to ladies in school. Hey, that's technology and information right? Please. You know damn well what I meant.
 WTF are talking about? you've become unhinged at this point. I readily admit that I was drinking last night, but don't recall talking about smoking or why it would be relevant to this discussion.  If you were just making a point, then you lost me.

Quote:If a company abused it's workers now, that shit would be on CNN and Fox News by 8pm.
 Not true at all. Just because it's not on CNN or FOX, doesn't mean that it still can't happen.

Quote:Why? Because everyone is armed with a camera phone. It's not word of mouth. 

I do agree to some extent here,  everything is on video now, gotta be careful.  But I still believe that business owners will try to save a buck when ever and where ever.  Even at the expense of their employees.  I've seen a lot in my 41 years, including employers trying to pull one over on me or someone else.
I can't quote that mess but as for the smoking...it was as relevant as the lame ass McDonalds thing you brought up. That had nothing to do with anything. You simply dismiss advances in technology and information. Why?

Strikes didn't require the government.

You keep bringing up how it happened in the past, when there wasn't the technology and access to information we have no...makes sense because you repeatedly try to diminish how much that matters.
(08-12-2015, 05:10 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I can't quote that mess but as for the smoking...it was as relevant as the lame ass McDonalds thing you brought up. That had nothing to do with anything. You simply dismiss advances in technology and information. Why?

Strikes didn't require the government.

You keep bringing up how it happened in the past, when there wasn't the technology and access to information we have no...makes sense because you repeatedly try to diminish how much that matters.

I agree we've gotten off topic a bit.

So your position is that the EPA is not needed because you believe that businesses can and would regulate themselves?  Am I correct on what you are saying?
Headed to work, I'll catch up on this later tonight.

This is ridiculous.

You are ignoring every single instance in history and every single example on earthy of unregulated industry.
(08-12-2015, 05:10 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You keep bringing up how it happened in the past, when there wasn't the technology and access to information we have no...makes sense because you repeatedly try to diminish how much that matters.

And you ignore the present in China.
(08-12-2015, 02:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Why? Because everyone is armed with a camera phone. It's not word of mouth. 

The EPA finds violations every year even in the present day. Individuals do not have access to inside information to determine what is being done with toxic waste. Doesn't matter who has a camera when everything is done behind closed doors.

Your theory is like saying that we no longer need police because citizens will report every crime.

(08-12-2015, 05:35 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I agree we've gotten off topic a bit.

So your position is that the EPA is not needed because you believe that businesses can and would regulate themselves?  Am I correct on what you are saying?

I'm saying a non-government funded group could do it. 
Without land-grabbing abilities.  Without wasting money. 
(08-12-2015, 09:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you ignore the present in China.

Just ignoring your stupid ass fred. 

China has no civil liberties either. 
They don't have individual rights the way we do.

People have no choice there. 
We have choice. Do you see the ***** difference?