Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Reid Anthem Thread
(04-12-2018, 09:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hypocrisy isn't a confusing concept (outside of politics). Shouldn't be, unless you are desperately trying to excuse it.

At least answer my question. How do explain to a kid why we are boycotting the NFL and not Roseanne?

First who is we? Secondly nobody is boycotting people for what they did in the past. They are boycotting for what they are currently doing. If in 20 years people are still mad at the kneelers then you can call them hypocrites. Everyone was mad at Roseann then, while most people don’t care that much about the current actions. The people yelling boycott probably couldn’t fill the Chargers temporary stadium.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-12-2018, 09:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hypocrisy isn't a confusing concept (outside of politics). Shouldn't be, unless you are desperately trying to excuse it.

At least answer my question. How do explain to a kid why we are boycotting the NFL and not Roseanne?

As I recall, from the time of the Roseanne anthem fiasco..  I believe that she did apologize, and explain that she thought she was doing those things for comedy benefit.  

I've yet to hear one apology from any of the anthem protesters.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-12-2018, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I recall, from the time of the Roseanne anthem fiasco..  I believe that she did apologize, and explain that she thought she was doing those things for comedy benefit.  

Well they didn't disrupt or disrespect the anthem.  They knelt quietly.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-12-2018, 10:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well they didn't disrupt or disrespect the anthem.  They knelt quietly.

And, so they will.

However, the big, huge uproar at the time over the Roseanne rendition was off the charts.  They didn't get that she was trying to do a comedic slant and sorta salute to baseball players.  Baseball players routinely spit, and adjust their crotch.  It was her mistake of not letting anyone know ahead of time, as to what she was going to do.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-12-2018, 10:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, so they will.

However, the big, huge uproar at the time over the Roseanne rendition was off the charts.  They didn't get that she was trying to do a comedic slant and sorta salute to baseball players.  Baseball players routinely spit, and adjust their crotch.  It was her mistake of not letting anyone know ahead of time, as to what she was going to do.

I got it at the time...and even back then I thought people over reacted.  but, again, at least the players kneeling are not disrupting anything...as opposed to trying to keep others from singing or enjoying the music/song.

Now the Hitler pic with the cookies...think that crossed a line?!?!  LOL!
(04-12-2018, 07:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It doesn't go unnoticed.  Almost all studies on racial inequality in the criminal justice system adjusts for socioeconomic differences.

Poor blacks get worse deals than poor white people.

It's a fact of life....but it's not something you see mentioned very often in casual conversation and I rarely see it brought up by the paid dividers.

"Better send those refunds..."

(04-12-2018, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I recall, from the time of the Roseanne anthem fiasco..  I believe that she did apologize, and explain that she thought she was doing those things for comedy benefit.  

I guess it depends on how you look at things.  The current anthem protesters believe they are standing up (well, isn't that punny) for inequality rather than mocking the anthem.  Roseanne was performing the anthem (who thought that was a good idea, I'll never know) and decided to intentionally mock it because she thought it would be funny.  In my mind she can apologize all she likes, but it my mind what she did was intentionally disrespectful and for a less noble cause.  I know some people view the kneeling during the anthem as an intentional sign of disrespect, but I see a difference between the two.  Again, that's just me.

But as "Meh" as I am on this subject, if Colin Kaepernick had the chance to perform the anthem and he mocked it the way Roseanne did and people petitioned the government to have him banished from the USA I wouldn't blame them.

(04-12-2018, 10:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, so they will.

I can't read Roseanne's mind, but I think there is evidence to suggest that she liked and likes doing things to upset people.  I see blatant intentional disrespect in her actions, personally.  And again, what was the reason she did this?  For a laugh?  Ehh, that's a pretty ho-hum reward to risk insulting so many people for, but that's Roseanne for ya.  
Apparently Seattle cancelled a workout with Kaep, and signed someone else instead. Kaep refused to agree to not kneel during the anthem, and so Seattle basically said 'Bye Felicia' to him.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(04-13-2018, 12:07 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Apparently Seattle cancelled a workout with Kaep, and signed someone else instead. Kaep refused to agree to not kneel during the anthem, and so Seattle basically said 'Bye Felicia' to him.

Well within their "rights" as an organization I assume.

But it also kinda makes the whole "we aren't blackballing him" narrative look silly.  They are.  They don't care what kind of talent he has, they care about his politics.
(04-13-2018, 12:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well within their "rights" as an organization I assume.

But it also kinda makes the whole "we aren't blackballing him" narrative look silly.  They are.  They don't care what kind of talent he has, they care about his politics.

Perhaps they care less about his politics and care about the image of their team and do not like the image of players not standing for the Anthem presents. But yes, they violated no one's "rights" in making this decision. Kaep can continue to kneel every time he hears the NA.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-13-2018, 04:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps they care less about his politics and care about the image of their team and do not like the image of players not standing for the Anthem presents. But yes, they violated no one's "rights" in making this decision. Kaep can continue to kneel every time he hears the NA.

That's what I said...they don't like his politics.
(04-12-2018, 09:41 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: This thread went downhill fast.

They always do. Then people get mad at us for keeping them in PnR. *Shrugs*
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(04-13-2018, 12:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well within their "rights" as an organization I assume.

Wouldn't blackballing entail a league wide conspiracy to keep them out? This seems more like individual owners don't want th headache.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(04-13-2018, 05:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wouldn't blackballing entail a league wide conspiracy to keep them out? This seems more like individual owners don't want th headache.

Well the narrative from the league was there is no blackballing even though he couldn't even get a tryout.  Then when he's about to get one it is cancelled due to his kneeling during the anthem.  It certainly doesn't help their story.
(04-13-2018, 04:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's what I said...they don't like his politics.

I saw what you said; unfortunately, you did not comprehend what I said.

(04-13-2018, 05:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I saw what you said; unfortunately, you did not comprehend what I said.

Well, if you say so.
(04-13-2018, 05:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well the narrative from the league was there is no blackballing even though he couldn't even get a tryout.  Then when he's about to get one it is cancelled due to his kneeling during the anthem.  It certainly doesn't help their story.

You typically don’t hire people who are presently suing you.
(04-13-2018, 07:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You typically don’t hire people who are presently suing you.

Do you typically bring them in for an interview?

'Cause that's what happened.  Smirk
(04-13-2018, 09:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Do you typically bring them in for an interview?

'Cause that's what happened.  Smirk

I would hope any rational person would. Perhaps trying to reach a common ground.

Do you think they shouldn't interview folks they have a difference with? 

(04-13-2018, 10:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would hope any rational person would. Perhaps trying to reach a common ground.

Do you think they shouldn't interview folks they have a difference with? 

Have to ask your boy Lucie....he said you don't typically higher someone who is suing you.  Maybe he knows if you bring them in for an interview and ask if they changed their minds...which is JUST like "trying to reach common ground."