Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric bieniemy
(09-29-2020, 03:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I would actually like to see Callahan be able to call a couple of games before I write him off. 

Agreed. Whenever Callahan is interviewed, he's a fun listen. He seems a little more direct and I believe he didn't hide his concerns for the OL earlier this year. 

(09-29-2020, 08:24 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I was driving this afternoon and happened to catch a few moments of Mo's show on 1530.  He was discussing the HC situation and said that he had it on good authority that the Bengals' FO went with ZT instead of Bienemy because Bienemy wanted to make more changes than the FO was comfortable allowing him to make.  Quelle surprise.

That's something I saw mentioned earlier this week. It honestly makes sense. During last season, a lot of local media members, Dehner especially, that the front office legitimately thought the team already had playoff talent on it. Taylor most likely said he could win with the current roster and wouldn't need to make any major changes. Then reality hit and the team realized they needed to make major changes. Now we have to wonder if we have the right coach to lead a revamped roster.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 12:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All I know is Taylor has failed at every level each time he’s been anything higher than a WR/QB coach. Maybe Bieniemy would fall on his face if he gets a HC job, but maybe he won’t. I think we’ll find out soon enough, and unfortunately there will probably be a lot of regret on our end, imo.

Andy Reid’s coaching tree is pretty impressive so far when you actually look at it. John Harbaugh, Doug Pederson, Ron Rivera, Sean McDermott, just to name a few...

I completely agree with you. I think the Taylor hire will be a regrettable one in the long run. I'm a big Bearcats fan and he was really disappointing as the OC. I wish we would've taken a chance on Bieniemy back then, but now I'm gunshy about it. I don't know. Hopefully whoever it is works out because I just know I don't have the confidence in who's here.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know about that.

I think all the money the front office spent on free agents this year changes everything.

The smart money is on at least one more season, regardless of the record this year. Because Covid.

Next year, full off season scouting, full combine, full FA, full draft, full off season workouts, full ota, full training camp, full preseason, 2nd year franchise QB. 

All the "excuses" are in place. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 02:05 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The smart money is on at least one more season, regardless of the record this year. Because Covid.

Next year, full off season scouting, full combine, full FA, full draft, full off season workouts, full ota, full training camp, full preseason, 2nd year franchise QB. 

I think where they really messed up was keeping the coach who led them to the 1st overall pick once they decided they were going to use that pick on a QB. 1st overall QBs should really get a fresh slate HC unless a team traded up for that pick.

At that point if he fails again, that's two years in a row of failure, and now what do you do? You almost have to fire him, but now you are going to tell your 2nd year QB to learn a second offense in 2 years and that HC might not feel like it's "their" QB.

In fact, of the previous 5 QBs taken 1st overall (Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jaemis Winston, Andrew Luck) three of those five teams didn't have a new HC when they drafted the QB. TWO of those retained HCs didn't even finish the QB's rookie season before being fired and the third got fired the offseason after the rookie season. Not a single one of the three had the same HC for the 2nd year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 06:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think where they really messed up was keeping the coach who led them to the 1st overall pick once they decided they were going to use that pick on a QB. 1st overall QBs should really get a fresh slate HC unless a team traded up for that pick.

At that point if he fails again, that's two years in a row of failure, and now what do you do? You almost have to fire him, but now you are going to tell your 2nd year QB to learn a second offense in 2 years and that HC might not feel like it's "their" QB.

In fact, of the previous 5 QBs taken 1st overall (Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jaemis Winston, Andrew Luck) three of those five teams didn't have a new HC when they drafted the QB. TWO of those retained HCs didn't even finish the QB's rookie season before being fired and the third got fired the offseason after the rookie season. Not a single one of the three had the same HC for the 2nd year.

Not overly concerned about the ‘whole new offense’ argument with Joe. He has picked up this one pretty quick, and he has the skill set to thrive in most if not all schemes.

Who is calling out protections at the line? Do we know? If it isn’t Joe, it needs to be! If it is Joe, perhaps there are rookie mistakes being made there?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 01:55 AM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I completely agree with you. I think the Taylor hire will be a regrettable one in the long run. I'm a big Bearcats fan and he was really disappointing as the OC. I wish we would've taken a chance on Bieniemy back then, but now I'm gunshy about it. I don't know. Hopefully whoever it is works out because I just know I don't have the confidence in who's here.

That's exactly how I feel at this time as well; at the end of the 2018 season, I was all for Bieniemy coming here.

But now, after 4-6 interviews over a 2 year span where he WASN'T hired, I'm a bit wary that maybe he isn't all he's cracked up to be...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 02:05 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The smart money is on at least one more season, regardless of the record this year. Because Covid.

Oops....you spelled "Mike Brown and Duke Tobin watching 20 hours of scratchy VCR tape of last years college football to decide who to draft" wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 07:58 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not overly concerned about the ‘whole new offense’ argument with Joe. He has picked up this one pretty quick, and he has the skill set to thrive in most if not all schemes.

Who is calling out protections at the line? Do we know? If it isn’t Joe, it needs to be! If it is Joe, perhaps there are rookie mistakes being made there?

It's the QB and center's job to do that jointly but the QB has the veto power.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 12:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All I know is Taylor has failed at every level each time he’s been anything higher than a WR/QB coach. Maybe Bieniemy would fall on his face if he gets a HC job, but maybe he won’t. I think we’ll find out soon enough, and unfortunately there will probably be a lot of regret on our end, imo.

Andy Reid’s coaching tree is pretty impressive so far when you actually look at it. John Harbaugh, Doug Pederson, Ron Rivera, Sean McDermott, just to name a few...

Don't forget about Brad Childress he had good early success with Minnesota..
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 09:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's exactly how I feel at this time as well; at the end of the 2018 season, I was all for Bieniemy coming here.

But now, after 4-6 interviews over a 2 year span where he WASN'T hired, I'm a bit wary that maybe he isn't all he's cracked up to be...

Mike Zimmer interviewed 31 times to be a head coach would you say he wasn't all he was cracked up to be??
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 06:16 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Mike Zimmer interviewed 31 times to be a head coach would you say he wasn't all he was cracked up to be??

That's crazy. Never heard that he interviewed that many times.

I do think it's apples to oranges, though. Zimmer had been a coach in the league for 20 years before he got his shot with a lot of success. 
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
Mike Zimmer coaches an 0-3 football team :)
Reply/Quote
I would rather have New Orleans Saints Offensive Coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr.

Carmichael has been the offensive coordinator for one of the best offenses in the NFL for over a decade. He installs that offense hes the guy that tells what they are going to do each week. We all know Sean Peyton regularly calls the plays but Carmichael calls the plays on third downs and has done it as the primary play caller for half of 2016 and for all of 2012. When Sean Peyton was suspended in 2012 for bounty gate the Saints offense under Carmichael was second in total offense, third in scoring offense, and top five in redzone touchdown percentage, third down conversion rate, and first downs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 06:16 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Mike Zimmer interviewed 31 times to be a head coach would you say he wasn't all he was cracked up to be??

LOL Ok, what other numbers will you pull out of your you know where?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 01:10 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: That's something I saw mentioned earlier this week. It honestly makes sense. During last season, a lot of local media members, Dehner especially, that the front office legitimately thought the team already had playoff talent on it. Taylor most likely said he could win with the current roster and wouldn't need to make any major changes. Then reality hit and the team realized they needed to make major changes. Now we have to wonder if we have the right coach to lead a revamped roster.

I don't know if that's true or not but it's entirely feasible (although likely would've centered around Dalton). But if it is true, it means this almost certainly won't be Taylor's last year here. We still have NYG, Miami, WFT, not to mention Jax on the schedule, and likely will finish with 3 or 4 wins, IMO. That might get most coaches fired in two years, but if the front office really discovered how little talent they have after Taylor's first year, they'd likely see it as a 2 steps backward to take 3 steps forward scenario. In that case it would be foolish to hire a coach for the 2 steps backward and then ditch him for somebody else for the 3 steps forward. Don't get me wrong, ZT was probably the wrong hire (I wanted Bienemy then too), but we'll win just enough games to keep ZT around for one more year of rebuilding. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 09:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's exactly how I feel at this time as well; at the end of the 2018 season, I was all for Bieniemy coming here.

Bieniemy was arrested a couple of times for assault charges in college and when he was in the NFL he came back to Boulder for a CU he got arrested for punching a guy in the parking lot.

Bur that was a long long time ago.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bieniemy was arrested a couple of times for assault charges in college and when he was in the NFL he came back to Boulder for a CU he got arrested for punching a guy in the parking lot.

Bur that was a long long time ago.

Indeed; when he was being interviewed, I read that and was surprised, as he doesn't seem like that type of guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All the more reason to hire Bieniemy. He’s learnt from one of the best. And he should get his fair share of credit for being the OC. It’s not like he’s a WR/QB coach...

Hopefully after the season we make the right call, you know how we are always a year or two late on our decisions...
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2020, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hopefully after the season we make the right call, you know how we are always a year or two late on our decisions...

I don't see Bieniemy coming here.

We passed on him once and he will have other opportunities that are better and don't come with the built in Brown family handicap.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote