Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erickson over Ross
(09-14-2018, 12:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: They ran a lot of 2 man and cover 0 shells which intrinsically open up the middle of the field. One could argue the fact Ross was in the game with AJ is why they did this rather than running a straight bracket double team on AJ all game.

I also think the threat of number 28 helps a bit too.  He keeps the LBs and S at times honest.  They have to keep their eyes in the BF long enough to get single coverages and holes in coverage as well.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I prefer the philosophy of putting the best players a team has on the field, and I would like Erickson to be given the chance to see if he is one of the top 3 receivers on the team. 

Plus in today's offenses, players shift around so much and lineup wherever, there is no such thing any more as traditional slots and outside receivers like it used to be.

I prefer to use guys in their best roles. To say there is no such thing as roles isn't really true. Guys do get moved around yes, but there are positions that make guys more effective than others. AJ is an X receiver, now can he play other positions? Sure, but he is best used as an X and causes the biggest impact on the defense from the X. Now when we are in 12 personnel Boyd moves to the Z, but he is most effective inside because of his freedom of movement.That means to move him back outside in 3 wide sets is to mismanage using him.  Now can he play outside based on formation? Sure. Bunches specifically do a lot of the same things that playing out of the slot does, same thing with stacking relievers. 

The same way I said last week not to proclaim Fej the savior and replace Williams I am saying give Ross time to adjust. It takes time to excel in the NFL at WR except for a very few exceptions. This is really his first full year starting and he needs game reps to really learn. If you take Ross off the field in favor of Erickson you allow the defense to go back to single high safeties with bracket coverage on AJ.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for giving Ross more time. How much time is another question.
Reply/Quote
It’s been 2 games guys. Let’s give the guy a chance.
Reply/Quote
Erickson isn't an outside WR like Ross is. Also, it's only two games in. Ross needs to continue getting experience in order to improve. Him having two catches through two games isn't worrisome just yet and Erickson will provide very minimal, if any improvement over what Ross is doing right now. It doesn't make sense to stunt Ross's growth to get Erickson (who is incredibly overrated by many Bengals fans) a little more game time.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:24 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Personally I have been of the opinion that Erickson should get a chance to have a bigger role in the passing game, because I think he can succeed in a 3rd to 4th receiver role. Unfortunately for him, he has AJ, Boyd, Ross, Eifert in front of him.

So last night I saw someone post about replacing Ross with Erickson. Ross was just a non-factor with 1 catch. Last week he had 1 catch, for a TD. Our top 10 pick from last year has 2 catches on the season so far, which I guess is 2 more than last year, so babysteps?

My proposal agrees. AJ and Boyd on the 'outside', cementing #1 and #2 receivers. Erickson named slot as the #3 receiver to work the middle and go up against linebackers and whoever to find those softspots in the defense. He can't be worse than Ross by any means, and if anything there is imo a really good chance he can succeed.

ps. Though doubtful this happens, hope Ross can do something eventually.

Completely disagree, Ross just being on the field is a big reason AJ and Boyd had such a great game.

If anything Ross needs more snaps, more reps and eventually he will work the rawness out and have great games himself.

Nothing against Erickson, he is a solid backup, but he doesn't scare Defenses like Ross does, not even close.

Also, Erickson is not an outside Receiver, he is purely a Slot Receiver and that is Boyd's spot he is backing up.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: I also think the threat of number 28 helps a bit too.  He keeps the LBs and S at times honest.  They have to keep their eyes in the BF long enough to get single coverages and holes in coverage as well.  

True Wyche, sounds like you are becoming a Mixon fan... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm all for giving Ross more time. How much time is another question.

Remember when we said give Ogbuehi some time. It’s “basically “ his rookie year. That’s what this feels like. If he was a late draft pick he definitely wouldn’t be seeing the field at all. I seriously doubt having Ross on the field changes anyone’s coverage. He hasn’t proven anything yet, and you really believe defensive coordinator account for him? Shoot they don’t plan for Green it seems and he’s been burning defense for 8 years now. It’s still really early but he’s shown nothing.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True Wyche, sounds like you are becoming a Mixon fan... Ninja

Well.....he's on my sqaud, so..... Ninja

He's been out of the headlines outside of what he does on the field.....which is what we wanted him to do.  He's to be commended. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If I’m giving any WR a chance over Ross, it’s Malone. He’s better suited outside. Erickson should be the top backup slot behind Boyd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely disagree, Ross just being on the field is a big reason AJ and Boyd had such a great game.

If anything Ross needs more snaps, more reps and eventually he will work the rawness out and have great games himself.

Nothing against Erickson, he is a solid backup, but he doesn't scare Defenses like Ross does, not even close.

Also, Erickson is not an outside Receiver, he is purely a Slot Receiver and that is Boyd's spot he is backing up.

Ross's 2 catches in 5 games scares defenses? 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:04 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Remember when we said give Ogbuehi some time. It’s “basically “ his rookie year.  That’s what this feels like.   If he was a late draft pick he definitely wouldn’t be seeing the field at all.   I seriously doubt having Ross on the field changes anyone’s coverage.   He hasn’t proven anything yet, and you really believe defensive coordinator account for him?  Shoot they don’t plan for Green it seems and he’s been burning defense for 8 years now.  It’s still really early but he’s shown nothing.

I usually agree with you SoCal but not here man. He DOES effect how Secondarys play us, he has already and he
has already scored a TD. He is an outside Receiver with amazing speed who is really raw. He needs more snaps, it
is nothing like Og at all who never shown anything besides sucking royal.

You don't think teams watched that bomb in Preseason and went, "man, better stop this guy".

The Ravens saw his TD against the Colts, dude is crazy quick with speed that cannot be taught.

(09-14-2018, 04:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well.....he's on my sqaud, so..... Ninja

He's been out of the headlines outside of what he does on the field.....which is what we wanted him to do.  He's to be commended. :andy:

Awesome. Cool  How has Dalvin looked in Minny this year? Haven't heard anything bout him yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If I’m giving any WR a chance over Ross, it’s Malone. He’s better suited outside. Erickson should be the top backup slot behind Boyd.

Exactly, atleast Malone is an outside Receiver.

(09-14-2018, 04:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ross's 2 catches in 5 games scares defenses? 

Yeah, when one was a TD. The Ravens can see why, you just can't i guess. Speed and those quicks cannot be taught.

I hope teams aren't scared of him and try and ignore him. He will make them pay big time.

I said if before we drafted him, a player like Ross opens up the game for other players by him just being on the field.

And it is showing, don't screw with the Offense right now, would be the stupidest thing we could do.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: I prefer to use guys in their best roles. To say there is no such thing as roles isn't really true. Guys do get moved around yes, but there are positions that make guys more effective than others. AJ is an X receiver, now can he play other positions? Sure, but he is best used as an X and causes the biggest impact on the defense from the X. Now when we are in 12 personnel Boyd moves to the Z, but he is most effective inside because of his freedom of movement.That means to move him back outside in 3 wide sets is to mismanage using him.  Now can he play outside based on formation? Sure. Bunches specifically do a lot of the same things that playing out of the slot does, same thing with stacking relievers. 

The same way I said last week not to proclaim Fej the savior and replace Williams I am saying give Ross time to adjust. It takes time to excel in the NFL at WR except for a very few exceptions. This is really his first full year starting and he needs game reps to really learn. If you take Ross off the field in favor of Erickson you allow the defense to go back to single high safeties with bracket coverage on AJ.

The emergence of Boyd being a legit threat with Eifert out there is what is going to keep AJ from getting covered. Ross hasn't done anything but catch a 3 yard TD that any receiver should catch.

As I said, I hope Ross improves, but it has to happen now. Otherwise he is just an empty uniform out there instead of someone like Erickson and even Malone that can help the offense more.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ross's 2 catches in 5 games scares defenses? 

It's not what he has done it's what he can do, see the first play in Buffalo. You don't have to do that every week, but we are due to take another shot play for him just to keep them honest. I wouldn't be surprised with Carolina's secondary if we don't come out similar to Buffalo with a designed shot play.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The emergence of Boyd being a legit threat with Eifert out there is what is going to keep AJ from getting covered. Ross hasn't done anything but catch a 3 yard TD that any receiver should catch.

As I said, I hope Ross improves, but it has to happen now. Otherwise he is just an empty uniform out there instead of someone like Erickson and even Malone that can help the offense more.

No not really, again it all comes down to scheme. When you go two high with two vertical offensive threats on the outside it opens up the middle of the field for guys like Eiffert and Boyd. When you start attacking the middle they have to go single high which allows the one on one matchups outside for AJ to take advantage of. You can slide AJ into the slot occasionally but as he does it more it's easier to stop without the proper threats outside. The TD for instance was a bunch that created a bit of a pick in man coverage. That play probably doesn't work if Mosley is playing.

It's too early to pull reps from Ross. Guys develop in the NFL from playing not sitting on the bench. Malone may have an argument for some reps, but Erickson doesn't really fulfill what we need scheme wise as a Ross sub.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, atleast Malone is an outside Receiver.

Yeah, when one was a TD. The Ravens can see why, you just can't i guess. Speed and those quicks cannot be taught.

I hope teams aren't scared of him and try and ignore him. He will make them pay big time.

I said if before we drafted him, a player like Ross opens up the game for other players by him just being on the field.

And it is showing, don't screw with the Offense right now, would be the stupidest thing we could do.

I hope he makes them pay for ignoring him, because at some point he needs to shed being a top 10 bust of a pick. But if speed and quickness was so important, I would think teams would start suiting up some track n field guys out there as decoys. I guess they dont see that.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If I’m giving any WR a chance over Ross, it’s Malone. He’s better suited outside. Erickson should be the top backup slot behind Boyd.

Fair enough for Malone. I also like to see what he can do given more reps. 

Surprised no one mentioned Tate yet though  Smirk

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:04 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Remember when we said give Ogbuehi some time. It’s “basically “ his rookie year.  That’s what this feels like. 

Remember when you said Kirkpatrick, Dennard, and Jackson were busts after their rookie seasons?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: But if speed and quickness was so important, I would think teams would start suiting up some track n field guys out there as decoys. I guess they dont see that.

Yes they do see that.

They suit up everyone of them that scores 19 tds in a PAC 12 season.
Reply/Quote