Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erickson over Ross
(09-14-2018, 09:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I can understand the impatience as i always have with you on Ross, Chris.

It will come around if we have a little and if we don't and start a player like Erickson who is strictly a Slot Receiver on
the outside is just assinine to me, sorry. Do not quit on this guy, he is something very rare that worked out quite well
in Kansas City. The thing is if Ross can get that rawness out of his game and not be lost out there, he could be great.

I am a potential guy, i can be wrong at times but i don't think i am with John Ross. If i am, i will admit it.

Only his 2nd REAL regular season game healthy, i want more to look at before benching the man for a backup Slot. Mellow

First of all, I wouldn't put Erickson on the outside. For me Erickson should be used in the slot on 4 and 5 receiver sets. Malone is capable of playing outside. Sure he doesn't have Ross' speed, but he's going to be where he's suppose to be.

I can be patient with Ross and I'm not quitting on him. But he's gotta be the one step up.

At some point Ross will become a factor I believe. Will it be this year? We'll have to wait and see. There's nothing else any of us can do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: John Ross is not a track guy, never has been, he is a football player. Plays both Corner and Receiver and can keep up
with anyone with his amazing quicks and speed and was a great Returner as well. He can take a hit now and is trying
to develop, why in the hell of hells would you try to stall his growth?

This!
Reply/Quote
To be honest, I am surprised by the number of Ross fanboys there are. A deep ball in preseason goes a long way.

But I hope Ross plays like how a top 10 pick receiver should. He definitely hasn't shown any signs of that so far. So at this point he needs to compliment AJ, Boyd, and Eifert out there. Until then I personally would rather see the other guys we got to see what they have as well, then go from there.

(09-14-2018, 09:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: First of all, I wouldn't put Erickson on the outside. For me Erickson should be used in the slot on 4 and 5 receiver sets. Malone is capable of playing outside. Sure he doesn't have Ross' speed, but he's going to be where he's suppose to be.

I can be patient with Ross and I'm not quitting on him. But he's gotta be the one step up.

At some point Ross will become a factor I believe. Will it be this year? We'll have to wait and see. There's nothing else any of us can do.

Which is what the op said.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: To be honest, I am surprised by the number of Ross fanboys there are. A deep ball in preseason goes a long way.

But I hope Ross plays like how a top 10 pick receiver should. He definitely hasn't shown any signs of that so far. So at this point he needs to compliment AJ, Boyd, and Eifert out there. Until then I personally would rather see the other guys we got to see what they have as well, then go from there.

Which is what the op said.

Not about being a fanboy, just not ready to label the kid a bust, or call for him to be benched.

Ross has the same amount of career TDs as Erickson btw...

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:41 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Fair enough for Malone. I also like to see what he can do given more reps. 

Surprised no one mentioned Tate yet though  Smirk

I'm one of the biggest drum-bangers for Tate, but he doesn't deserve reps over Malone right now. I'd expect them to bring him along kind of the same way they did Malone, last year.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: While I will note Ross has a major problem with dropping catchable balls and his route running has been subpar it is also premature to bench him. He needs to be coached up on proper catching technique and also running precise routes - his issues right now are not physical they are the technical play of the wide receiver position. So for now run little easy passes to get him the ball in space and start mixing in the more complex stuff and just keep making him practice catching the ball until he does it right.

Very premature.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I prefer the philosophy of putting the best players a team has on the field, and I would like Erickson to be given the chance to see if he is one of the top 3 receivers on the team. 

Plus in today's offenses, players shift around so much and lineup wherever, there is no such thing any more as traditional slots and outside receivers like it used to be.
They can run these shifts because ross, boyd and green call all 3 play inside and out.  This is why Erickson is #4 because he is pretty bad on the outside matched up against a 1 or 2.  I do think they should get him into the game a little more on offense because I think he is a clutch slot reciever, but boyd is looking too good.
Reply/Quote
I have noticed around here that it is always too early to call someone a bust, but never too early to call someone a superstar.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 10:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I have noticed around here that it is always too early to call someone a bust, but never too early to call someone a superstar.

Examples? Cause we only have two legit superstars on the entire team (AJ & Geno). I myself have been guilty of falling for the hype on players too quicklyat times, like with Tate during camp this year, but suggesting he’ll be a superstar? Nah. I guess maybe you could say many of us (even outside Bengals fans) crowned WJ3 pretty quickly, but again I wouldn’t put him in superstar category just yet.

Reply/Quote
Ross hasn't been anything yet. Deep, slant, reversals, special teams. He's just there. There's no telling when he shows up. Only good thing was he was able to score 1 in Game 1.
Reply/Quote
What's there to argue? Ross has not lived up to a top 10 pick to this point. I don't see how anyone can argue that. Does he force teams to change the way they would normally play D because of his speed? Maybe but who knows, we can argue that all day. The fact is he has done nothing physically to justify taking him when we did. Erivkson and even Malone are more productive than Ross so far. Ross is litterly just getting by on the combine alone still.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 01:01 PM)TKUHL Wrote: What's there to argue? Ross has not lived up to a top 10 pick to this point. I don't see how anyone can argue that. Does he force teams to change the way they would normally play D because of his speed? Maybe but who knows, we can argue that all day. The fact is he has done nothing physically to justify taking him when we did. Erivkson and even Malone are more productive than Ross so far. Ross is litterly just getting by on the combine alone still.

... He’s played 2 games this season, and missed nearly all last season. Dude was injured.

No, we don’t have to argue about whether his speed changes how defenses play us. Of course it does. Why wouldn’t they? That play he made in the preseason does have an impact. It would be foolish for them to not have a safety playing back with a young speedster like him.

Too early to tell on Ross honesty. I have my concerns too, but let’s not act like he’s a bust. He scored a TD last game, and showed his deep threat potential in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Remember when you said Kirkpatrick, Dennard, and Jackson were busts after their rookie seasons?

Remember when we were arguing about kickers last year, and you said Justin Tucker wasn't all that special? He's only the most accurate kicker in NFL history! But, back to Ross; he does/should take some pressure off AJ but he has to start catching the freaking ball! Somebody mentioned Tate, and said nobody has brought him up, I'd like to see him get some Redzone looks, he's tall, gets open, and does catch the ball, at least he sure seemed to have really good hands in preseason for whatever that's worth. Ross has to catch on quickly, it's kind of an NFL thing, or he'll just be another Cordelle Patterson, tons of potential, but limited results. Still hoping he becomes a Tyreek Hill type,though.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 01:05 PM)thillan Wrote: ... He’s played 2 games this season, and missed nearly all last season. Dude was injured.

No, we don’t have to argue about whether his speed changes how defenses play us. Of course it does. Why wouldn’t they? That play he made in the preseason does have an impact. It would be foolish for them to not have a safety playing back with a young speedster like him.

Too early to tell on Ross honesty. I have my concerns too, but let’s not act like he’s a bust. He scored a TD last game, and showed his deep threat potential in the preseason.

Great post. Completely agree as you know Thillan. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 03:04 PM)motoarch Wrote: It’s been 2 games guys.  Let’s give the guy a chance.

Exactly.  And we have to remember that he's basically a rookie.  He needs more time to build his confidence.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 01:05 PM)thillan Wrote: ... He’s played 2 games this season, and missed nearly all last season. Dude was injured.

Didn't say he was a bust, just saying it's a legit concern. He was a healthy scratch most of last year and has proven nothing so far. Sure it's early and I would like for the offense to get him more involved but when the game is on the line needing a first down who would you rather throw to? Erickson or Ross. I would take Erickson any day up to this point.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 10:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Examples? Cause we only have two legit superstars on the entire team (AJ & Geno). I myself have been guilty of falling for the hype on players too quicklyat times, like with Tate during camp this year, but suggesting he’ll be a superstar? Nah. I guess maybe you could say many of us (even outside Bengals fans) crowned WJ3 pretty quickly, but again I wouldn’t put him in superstar category just yet.

Price
Auden Tate
Cody Core
Billings
Kumerow
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 01:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Price
Auden Tate
Cody Core
Billings
Kumerow

BILLINGS!!! Rock On Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 01:01 PM)TKUHL Wrote: What's there to argue? Ross has not lived up to a top 10 pick to this point. I don't see how anyone can argue that. Does he force teams to change the way they would normally play D because of his speed? Maybe but who knows, we can argue that all day. The fact is he has done nothing physically to justify taking him when we did. Erivkson and even Malone are more productive than Ross so far. Ross is litterly just getting by on the combine alone still.

Enough with the facts
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 01:46 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Didn't say he was a bust, just saying it's a legit concern. He was a healthy scratch most of last year and has proven nothing so far. Sure it's early and I would like for the offense to get him more involved but when the game is on the line needing a first down who would you rather throw to? Erickson or Ross. I would take Erickson any day up to this point.

Ross was on IR most of last year, not a healthy scratch.

I would be more concerned if the offense wasn't scoring at 30+ ppg.  How the offense performs as a unit is way more important than how many touches and yards the #3 WR has.  Ross needs to earn Andy's trust in the base offense and there's no reason to throw out gadget plays to get him touches when the offense is scoring like it is 
Reply/Quote