Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erickson over Ross
I dont want to give up on Ross. Dalton needs to get in rhythm with him and gain some trust. I think he will be fine with more time out there. Green and Boyd have been tearing it up out there so he hasn't had too much of a chance to prove himself
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I won't say Ross is hopeless, but I will admit that if the Steelers drafted him in the 1st we'd be having a ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ross's 2 catches in 5 games scares defenses? 

That's not how defenses see things.

They see a guy that can beat them deep, so have a safety over top. Sometimes you have to make the defense respect the deep ball.

What's the difference between the passing attack from this year compared to last? Defenses having to respect deep passes.

John Ross saw only 17 snaps in 2017. Who else scared teams deep? LaFell? Boyd? Erickson? Double team Green and let the other receivers beat you, which didn't happen.
Every NFL coach knows that Ross is fast.

Ross has seen 82 snaps this year. Two catches. One touchdown. Against the Colts, Dalton missed Ross on a comeback route in which, instead of sliding, Dalton bailed the pocket and tried to run it on 3rd down.
Last night, Ross did drop a ball. But he also broke a tackle on his catch and picked up yards after the catch.
Dalton also had him open on one route where he chose to throw it away rather to Ross on the sideline. It was in the 2nd half. Sure, tough throw with the defensive back sprinting over, but the play was there. Dalton just didn't trust it.

You know what brings trust? Playing time. Targets.

Ross is getting playing time. I don't know why people expect a guy who's essentially a rookie to be a Pro Bowler out of the gates.

Tyler Boyd had 1 touchdown throughout 21 games.
He had 759 snaps his rookie year, but only 1 TD.
So what do the Bengals do? Use him less in 2017, which he only got 307 snaps and was on the field only 31.9%
Boyd is already one-third of the way to those snaps so far this year, he has 107.
Do you think Boyd shouldn't start since he struggled early in his career?
You HAVE to give your guys a chance to play and learn. 

There's going to come a day where a team is going to double team Green and so it'll be on Ross, Boyd, and Eifert's shoulders to win their battles.

Eifert and Boyd did last night. Ross' chance will come.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Remember when you said Kirkpatrick, Dennard, and Jackson were busts after their rookie seasons?

Lies. I’ve always liked Dennard and I’ve never said anything negative about Jackson who I loved from the minute we drafted.

Now Dre is a different story. He still sucks. He will get beat this year constantly because no one will throw at Jackson. Ravens threw his way 7 times for 2 completions n 12 yards.

We win inspite of Dre.

It took Ty Hill his rookie year to blow the top off defenses. One year and he constantly beats teams every game over the top. Ross is no Hill. Your fooling yourself if you think they are the same type just because he’s 40 yard fast. Hope he proves me wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 05:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I won't say Ross is hopeless, but I will admit that if the Steelers drafted him in the 1st we'd be having a ball.

if the Squealers had drafted him in the 1st, Mike Tomlin would have developed him to an All-Pro.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 06:00 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Lies. I’ve always liked Dennard and I’ve never said anything negative about Jackson who I loved from the minute we drafted.

Now Dre is a different story. He still sucks. He will get beat this year constantly because no one will throw at Jackson. Ravens threw his way 7 times for 2 completions n 12 yards.

We win inspite of Dre.

It took Ty Hill his rookie year to blow the top off defenses. One year and he constantly beats teams every game over the top. Ross is no Hill. Your fooling yourself if you think they are the same type just because he’s 40 yard fast. Hope he proves me wrong.

Our definition of a player that “sucks” is quite different. Dre is a solid coverage corner. He is, however, not very good in run support.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 06:44 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: if the Squealers had drafted him in the 1st, Mike Tomlin would have developed him to an All-Pro.

Yeah, just like he did with Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, and Artie Burns.

LOL
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 06:50 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Our definition of a player that “sucks” is quite different.

According to SoCal 90% of our roster sucks.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 06:00 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: It took Ty Hill his rookie year to blow the top off defenses.   One year and he constantly beats teams every game over the top.  Ross is no Hill.  Your fooling yourself if you think they are the same type just because he’s 40 yard fast.  Hope he proves me wrong.

From Ross' time in Washington, what did he provide to the Huskies? What was his play like? Strengths? Weaknesses?
Ross' play style is similar to that of Brandin Cooks and DeSean Jackson.

And just because Hill's rookie year was good doesn't mean anything for any other player.
Agholor struggled early in his career.
He amassed 58 receptions for 658 yards and 2 TDs his first two years, playing in 28 games.
Last year, however, Agholor cleaned up his drops and DOUBLED his receiving yards and QUADRUPLED his receiving TDs.

62 receptions. 768 yards. 8 TDs. In one season.
And against the Falcons he had 8 receptions, and while only for 33 yards, he was making catches he would normally drop.

What about Emmanuel Sanders who took until his 3rd year to get more than 376 yards a season? And then three years over 1,000 yards.
Or Adam Thielin who had never had over 144 yards his first two seasons? Who now has a 967 yard season and a 1,000+ season?
Even Brandin Cooks had an average rookie season before turning it on.

Don't judge a player by their first 99 snaps. Dude hasn't even been on the field for 100 plays yet.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 05:28 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: That's not how defenses see things.

They see a guy that can beat them deep, so have a safety over top. Sometimes you have to make the defense respect the deep ball.

What's the difference between the passing attack from this year compared to last? Defenses having to respect deep passes.

John Ross saw only 17 snaps in 2017. Who else scared teams deep? LaFell? Boyd? Erickson? Double team Green and let the other receivers beat you, which didn't happen.
Every NFL coach knows that Ross is fast.

Ross has seen 82 snaps this year. Two catches. One touchdown. Against the Colts, Dalton missed Ross on a comeback route in which, instead of sliding, Dalton bailed the pocket and tried to run it on 3rd down.
Last night, Ross did drop a ball. But he also broke a tackle on his catch and picked up yards after the catch.
Dalton also had him open on one route where he chose to throw it away rather to Ross on the sideline. It was in the 2nd half. Sure, tough throw with the defensive back sprinting over, but the play was there. Dalton just didn't trust it.

You know what brings trust? Playing time. Targets.

Ross is getting playing time. I don't know why people expect a guy who's essentially a rookie to be a Pro Bowler out of the gates.

Tyler Boyd had 1 touchdown throughout 21 games.
He had 759 snaps his rookie year, but only 1 TD.
So what do the Bengals do? Use him less in 2017, which he only got 307 snaps and was on the field only 31.9%
Boyd is already one-third of the way to those snaps so far this year, he has 107.
Do you think Boyd shouldn't start since he struggled early in his career?
You HAVE to give your guys a chance to play and learn. 

There's going to come a day where a team is going to double team Green and so it'll be on Ross, Boyd, and Eifert's shoulders to win their battles.

Eifert and Boyd did last night. Ross' chance will come.
I think you may have accidentally left out Cody Core and Josh Malone
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: According to SoCal 90% of our roster sucks.

He’s very reactionary, it seems. Week 1 he was shouting “I’ll eat some crow, GO ROSS!” This week, it was back to “I hate Ross.”

He has an unusual hatred for Dre. He was immediately saying Fej is better than Shawn Williams and should be starting after Week 1.

I don’t remember him being that way on the old board, but it’s been a few years I suppose.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 06:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, just like he did with Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, and Artie Burns.

LOL

I noticed you left out Bell, Brown, JuJu and the referee Tongue

[Image: usa_today_10416339.0.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely disagree, Ross just being on the field is a big reason AJ and Boyd had such a great game.

If anything Ross needs more snaps, more reps and eventually he will work the rawness out and have great games himself.

Nothing against Erickson, he is a solid backup, but he doesn't scare Defenses like Ross does, not even close.

Also, Erickson is not an outside Receiver, he is purely a Slot Receiver and that is Boyd's spot he is backing up.

The first offensive play of the Bills preseason game was a message to the league.

It clearly stated "If you load the box and rotate a safety to Green, we will bomb you to submission."

Obviously line play is instrumental, but speed kills.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 07:27 PM)XsandOs Wrote: The first offensive play of the Bills preseason game was a message to the league.

It clearly stated "If you load the box and rotate a safety to Green, we will bomb you to submission."

Agree. How many touches does Ross have ever in an NFL uniform? You could watch all of them in a minute. So you better believe they are all seeing it
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:24 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Personally I have been of the opinion that Erickson should get a chance to have a bigger role in the passing game, because I think he can succeed in a 3rd to 4th receiver role. Unfortunately for him, he has AJ, Boyd, Ross, Eifert in front of him.

So last night I saw someone post about replacing Ross with Erickson. Ross was just a non-factor with 1 catch. Last week he had 1 catch, for a TD. Our top 10 pick from last year has 2 catches on the season so far, which I guess is 2 more than last year, so babysteps?

My proposal agrees. AJ and Boyd on the 'outside', cementing #1 and #2 receivers. Erickson named slot as the #3 receiver to work the middle and go up against linebackers and whoever to find those softspots in the defense. He can't be worse than Ross by any means, and if anything there is imo a really good chance he can succeed.

ps. Though doubtful this happens, hope Ross can do something eventually.

Ross is lost out there and this is the regular season where giving him targets for the sake of giving him targets just isn't going to happen. Every drive counts. A top 10 pick requiring baby steps in his second year is annoying. Malone and Erickson are both better route runners and have better hands, at least to date.

It's really all up to Ross. He's either going to do it or he isn't.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: According to SoCal 90% of our roster sucks.

Not true. Micheal Johnson , Dre , Ogbuehi, Bodine , Maualuga Fisher and Marvin Lewis Are not good. I’ve been consistent with those guys. I was harder on Maualuga than any other player ever.

Dre got beat for a touchdown , missed two tackles n I believe had 2 PI calls against him. If that was Jackson we would be talking about how much he has regressed this year. But it’s Dre so.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I hope he makes them pay for ignoring him, because at some point he needs to shed being a top 10 bust of a pick. But if speed and quickness was so important, I would think teams would start suiting up some track n field guys out there as decoys. I guess they dont see that.

John Ross is not a track guy, never has been, he is a football player. Plays both Corner and Receiver and can keep up
with anyone with his amazing quicks and speed and was a great Returner as well. He can take a hit now and is trying
to develop, why in the hell of hells would you try to stall his growth?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ross is lost out there and this is the regular season where giving him targets for the sake of giving him targets just isn't going to happen. Every drive counts. A top 10 pick requiring baby steps in his second year is annoying. Malone and Erickson are both better route runners and have better hands, at least to date.

It's really all up to Ross. He's either going to do it or he isn't.

I can understand the impatience as i always have with you on Ross, Chris.

It will come around if we have a little and if we don't and start a player like Erickson who is strictly a Slot Receiver on
the outside is just assinine to me, sorry. Do not quit on this guy, he is something very rare that worked out quite well
in Kansas City. The thing is if Ross can get that rawness out of his game and not be lost out there, he could be great.

I am a potential guy, i can be wrong at times but i don't think i am with John Ross. If i am, i will admit it.

Only his 2nd REAL regular season game healthy, i want more to look at before benching the man for a backup Slot. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 07:27 PM)XsandOs Wrote: The first offensive play of the Bills preseason game was a message to the league.

Yes sir, you see it and no surprise.

Look out when this guy gets it together. You think AJ will be the only one getting 3 TD games....

Carolina just might be trying to stop AJ next week and ignore Ross, then lets come back to this thread....
Reply/Quote
While I will note Ross has a major problem with dropping catchable balls and his route running has been subpar it is also premature to bench him. He needs to be coached up on proper catching technique and also running precise routes - his issues right now are not physical they are the technical play of the wide receiver position. So for now run little easy passes to get him the ball in space and start mixing in the more complex stuff and just keep making him practice catching the ball until he does it right.
Reply/Quote