Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Biden Being Racist AGAIN
(02-18-2021, 12:13 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: What exactly is the point of these Biden hate threads?  How many times must one man express his hatred for a President?

I've suggested that he be banned from starting threads but those posts were deleted, because, y'know, free speech or something like that.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 01:12 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I've suggested that he be banned from starting threads but those posts were deleted, because, y'know, free speech or something like that.

Two full pages of discussion but this is a ban-worthy thread?

Ideas outside your own deserve banning?  Ironic considering the side you're obviously taking.

Message board tough guy.

Funny.

Cute.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 01:12 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I've suggested that he be banned from starting threads but those posts were deleted, because, y'know, free speech or something like that.

Just to clarify (not that anyone asked, but in case they were curious), starting threads isn't in violation of the coc. Spamming threads is, but, generally as long as they are on different subjects, that's not spamming. Generally.

And I can't personally speak to posts being deleted, but if they were, it wasn't for suggesting someone be banned. If that was all it took, we'd only have like 243 posts in jn.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 02:27 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Two full pages of discussion but this is a ban-worthy thread?

Ideas outside your own deserve banning?  Ironic considering the side you're obviously taking.

Message board tough guy.

Funny.

Cute.

Sexist.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 01:03 AM)BrownAssClown Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR52wgB_4ypaFy1fWIv9sG...A&usqp=CAU]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5yeA96_uxOuX1H64SUeA...Q&usqp=CAU]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 08:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: I was joking about being a "Dino" and I'm not as old as Biden!  Smirk

Your username flew right over my head on that one.
Shocked
Reply/Quote
I wasn't expecting much when opening this thread, but I still left disappointed.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So reducing people down to nothing but a color being seen as dehumanizing is on the same logical level as people beholden to conspiracy theories. Gotcha.

On a logical level "yes".
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 10:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I’d say “white people” or the “white community”. I don’t say “whites”. I don’t use “Caucasian” because it’s outdated.

The term "black people" defines them by their color alone just as much as the term "blacks".  That is what makes this whole argument so silly.

If defining people just by their color is dehumanizing then the term "Black Lives Matter" is dehumanizing.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 01:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: In his town hall, Biden states that a lot of in the Hispanic and African American community, particularly in rural areas, know how to get online to determine how to get in line for the vaccination.

Can you imagine for a second if Trump had said that?  He would have been bashed by everyone in public and every media outlet in the free world.  The page I saw on CNN's website conveniently left that quote out in the paragraph that they were describing Biden's answers on the subject.

Can you imagine if someone that you were talking to just out in public had said that?  You'd try to distance yourself from them real quickly so you wouldn't be seen as racist.
Why is this ok?

I can imagine, for a second, that if Trump had given Biden's speech in March 2020, 62% of Americans would have responded positively to it.

But I cannot imagine people responding positively to Biden had he ignored communities of color altogether, beyond oblique references to the "China" virus and claims that he's done more for "the blacks" than anyone but Lincoln.

Folks, let's not proceed as if the international outrage that followed Trump's claim that Mexico was sending us "rapists" was simply because he did not designate them "Latino rapists." 

As if now, owing to some blatant double standard, the biased liberal press gives Biden a pass on his "racism" as he earnestly communicates policies which recognize and address the needs of communities of color, while it has always criticized Trump for "the same thing."
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 12:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The term "black people" defines them by their color alone just as much as the term "blacks".  That is what makes this whole argument so silly.

If defining people just by their color is dehumanizing then the term "Black Lives Matter" is dehumanizing.

Since the beginnings of this country, we have had people in bondage that we defined as property. We stripped them of their humanity and considered them nothing more than chattel. If you can't comprehend why dropping the word "people" and just calling them a color isn't something members of the Black community would be sensitive to after centuries of being treated as less than human in this country, I don't know what to tell you.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 10:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess it's likely because I don't speak in those sort of terms, i,e, the Blacks, the Whites, the Jews, etc.  I usually say White people, Black people, Jewish people, etc.  So yes, context of speaking the terms means a lot.  However, when people don't speak or write proper English, it's tough to discern what they actually mean, and since it's now viewed as "punching down" to correct people on their language usage it makes it even tougher.

The definite article plays a singular role in these kinds of designation.

I don't have a big problem with a statement like "Blacks on the whole dislike Trump, but Southern Whites love him."

But it is different when one says "The Blacks dislike Trump."

Context is, for the most part, the final determiner of what is or is not offensive, since most of what makes statements racist is intent and assumptions about substance.

E.g., Is it better to say "African-Americans" come from shithole countries, or "Blacks" or "black people" come from shithole countries? The racism is going to be there either way.

Nowadays charges of racism don't seriously turn around such correct labeling. Something else is always really in play. That "something" is what we should be making plain and discussing.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 12:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The term "black people" defines them by their color alone just as much as the term "blacks".  That is what makes this whole argument so silly.

No, and this has been explained at length. I've already stated that I wouldn't call anyone racist for using the term in question in this context, so stick with what language you use and do not be concerned with my opinion. I'm really not interested in having a conversation with you about race. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 01:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Since the beginnings of this country, we have had people in bondage that we defined as property. We stripped them of their humanity and considered them nothing more than chattel. If you can't comprehend why dropping the word "people" and just calling them a color isn't something members of the Black community would be sensitive to after centuries of being treated as less than human in this country, I don't know what to tell you.

We will never be able to address the REAL issues of slavery in this country as long as people claim our history of slavery justifies the suspension of logic.

If defining people by their color is offensive then there is no logical difference between using that color as a noun or a pronoun. If you have to say " black people" instead of " blacks" then you also have to say " black people's lives matter" instead of " black lives matter".

Based on your logic black people would be offended if i said "Blacks are superior to all other races". Can't you see how silly that is?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We will never be able to address the REAL issues of slavery in this country as long as people claim our history of slavery justifies the suspension of logic.

If defining people by their color is offensive then there is no logical difference between using that color as a noun or a pronoun. If you have to say " black people" instead of " blacks" then you also have to say " black people's lives matter" instead of " black lives matter".

Based on your logic black people would be offended if i said "Blacks are superior to all other races". Can't you see how silly that is?

You keep using the BLM thing, but Black is still an adjective in that name.

Anyway, I know this isn't going to be a fruitful conversation. You are dug into your views.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 03:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You keep using the BLM thing, but Black is still an adjective in that name.

I know.  That is my point.

(02-18-2021, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If defining people by their color is offensive then there is no logical difference between using that color as a noun or a pronoun. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 08:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know.  That is my point.

Your BLM analogy would follow if it were "Blacks' Lives Matter" not "Black Lives Matter"
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 08:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know.  That is my point.

I don't think you're making the point you think you're making.

Reply/Quote

[Image: inconceivable.jpg?format=500w]
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 08:27 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Your BLM analogy would follow if it were "Blacks' Lives Matter" not "Black Lives Matter"

(02-18-2021, 09:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't think you're making the point you think you're making.

No.  My point is the same.  If it is wrong to define people just by the color of their skin then it is wrong to do it with either a noun or a pronoun.  The claim that it is "de-humanizing" just is not true.  It is just a product of being trapped with a victim mentality that defies logic.  And it is getting silly.

Remember when we had to apologize to members of the National Association of Colored People for calling them "Colored People"?  Well now apparently it is okay to call them "People of color".

None of this silly semantics shit accomplishes anything except perpetuating the victim mentality.  It allows them to create racism where it dos not exist.  And the more they create racism where it does not exist the more they offend people who might otherwise support their cause.

No group of people can demand "equality" at the same time they demand special rules that only apply to them.  I am not talking about affirmative action programs that are just temporary and designed to create a more level playing field.  I am talking about creating racism where it does not exist.
Reply/Quote