Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Evan McPherson
I know me and the rest of bengaldom is ready for the return of fat randy

Said no one ever
Reply/Quote
Yeah I’ve seen kickers make FGs in worse wind than today
You miss one OK but then he missed another and a FG.

So yes he needs to get his crap together. He has the ability but you always worry about kickers because it’s about 95% mental for them.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2022, 10:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's 21 of 25 on fgs and 36 of 39 on extra points.

He missed an extra point and a fg in wind. I believe the Pat's kicker missed 2 extra points.

Both Evan McPherson and Nick Folk missed in the open end of Gillette Stadium where wind is a factor. The crosswind was strong today. Evan kicked two perfectly struck balls which started down the middle and turned hard right when the wind took effect. At the other closed end of the stadium Evan made everything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 12:11 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I know me and the rest of bengaldom is ready for the return of fat randy

Said no one ever

Funny that you posted this on Dec 24th because I remember him ruining a Christmas Eve for us one year (was that vs the Texans?)
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 12:14 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Funny that you posted this on Dec 24th because I remember him ruining a Christmas Eve for us one year (was that vs the Texans?)

Yeah, 2016.  We lost by two as a result.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
[Image: missed-kick-kick.gif]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2022, 10:42 PM)Lowerguywins Wrote: Thoughts on are McPherson? Something to worry about or does he just the have the yips?

I think it was just really heavy winds that made kicking very difficult. I think Ian said that all the misses were on the same side of the field, so my guess is there was swirling winds at that end of the stadium that made aiming your kicks very difficult. Since the Patriots kicker also missed 2 extra points, I'm inclined to believe that this game was not an accurate representation of McPherson's abilities.

He's fine.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2022, 11:22 PM)basballguy Wrote: It’s called wind

On at least one of his.misses the flags on the uprights were hanging straight down not moving
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 10:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: On at least one of his.misses the flags on the uprights were hanging straight down not moving

this!!
I dunno what wind everyone is talking about. The flags on the uprights didn’t move all game. And the ball never went substantially higher than the height of those flags. I dunno what the issue is. But when both kickers miss multiple extra points. It’s probably not the kicker. But I don’t think it was wind either.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 10:53 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: this!!
I dunno what wind everyone is talking about. The flags on the uprights didn’t move all game. And the ball never went substantially higher than the height of those flags. I dunno what the issue is. But when both kickers miss multiple extra points. It’s probably not the kicker. But I don’t think it was wind either.

IIRC, it might have been the second missed XP that didn’t count because of a penalty definitely had a bad snap. The other two seemed like they were on Evan and the flags were hanging down.
Reply/Quote
It’s not just wind, it’s the temperature. The ball becomes a totally different hardness. McPherson hasn’t been as good as he was last year, but the cold was obviously effecting a lot of kickers yesterday.

Reply/Quote
I am not overly concerned, but like others he needs to step up his game in the playoffs.

It appears our road to the Super Bowl will be in cold weather sites at home, Buffalo or KC. It is very likely he sees winds and cold weather in the playoffs.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2022, 10:57 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Slightly concerned as it's not feeling automatic like last season.... but not every kicker is Justin Tucker.

Agreed that there clearly was an issue with that side of the field... likely just rough conditions to kick in.

Agreed but I think a lot of us (myself included) assumed he was the next Justin Tucker.

Maybe he still is but he he is going through a Sophomore slump for sure IMHO.
Reply/Quote
From Special Teams Coach Darrin Simmons before the game:

https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/1606718012060475392

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 10:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: On at least one of his.misses the flags on the uprights were hanging straight down not moving

Doesn't matter. You saw on his 2 pats, they started down the middle then went hard right half way through.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
“Bad” season or not, when he lines up to kick I am still confident he makes it.

He’s fine.
Reply/Quote
There was always going to be a stage when he missed and it got into his head. Hoping he can get that ice in his veins going again.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 03:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Doesn't matter. You saw on his 2 pats, they started down the middle then went hard right half way through.

Yeah, balls that are hooked or sliced do that too....
Reply/Quote
He is good not great this year hopefully get back to great
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 07:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He is good not great this year hopefully get back to great

I'm not too worried, yet. There were a bunch of missed kicks yesterday. Cold, wind, harder football, ground hard and slick hard for holder ?? so on
Reply/Quote