Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Evan McPherson
(12-25-2022, 07:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, balls that are hooked or sliced do that too....

Most slices i've seen have a hook shape from the beginning. His kicks started straight, then gradually went right as if pushed by a mysterious force...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 09:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Most slices i've seen have a hook shape from the beginning. His kicks started straight, then gradually went right as if pushed by a mysterious force...

The military term for it is: Whiskey. India. November. Delta. but don't say anything that's Top Secret, hush hush, eyes only, secret squirrel society level. 
Reply/Quote
Folks blaming Evan McPhearson for Evan McPhearson missing kicks need to read up on the Coriolis Effect.

You can't expect him to make all those XPs while the earth is spinning.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's concerning.

if it weren't for Mcbootycheeks in week 1, then we're cruising in the number one seed.

Excuses got to stop. If he's not as automatic as he was in the postseason we're gonna take a heartbreaking L.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 09:50 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: It's concerning.

if it weren't for Mcbootycheeks in week 1, then we're cruising in the number one seed.

Excuses got to stop. If he's not as automatic as he was in the postseason we're gonna take a heartbreaking L.

I have one eyebrow like 1/4 of the way up. He's been a damn good kicker. I'm just not ready to just drop him like a hot potato just yet.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 09:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Most slices i've seen have a hook shape from the beginning. His kicks started straight, then gradually went right as if pushed by a mysterious force...

You don't play golf, do you? Before I got my slice under control my drives would go straight as an arrow for 200 yards, then turn right. It takes a moment for the spinning of the ball to overcome the initial inertia of the strike. Footballs are no different. I'm not concerned about McPherson, but I have yet to see a wind powerful enough to move a football out of it's glidd path and yet not be strong enough to move a.plastic flag.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 04:37 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: “Bad” season or not, when he lines up to kick I am still confident he makes it.

He’s fine.

Yeah im not overly concerned either. I don't think he's as 'on fire' as he was last year, but statistically he's really not far off.

Saturday's game clearly had the weather as a factor. Folk missed both of his XP kicks.
Reply/Quote
Breech still hangs around this team. What kind of shape is he in? Just kidding (sort of)!
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 02:45 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Breech still hangs around this team. What kind of shape is he in? Just kidding (sort of)!

A terrible kicker that can't kick over 47 yards and though he can hit clutch kicks, he can't hit a normal one if his life depended on it?

Yeah, no thanks.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Are people really worried about McPherson? He's been by far the best kicker the Bengals have had to my memory. People need to calm down.
Reply/Quote
Barring the Steelers game Evan has still been pretty automatic on important kicks. Most of them have been with a lead or nothing to worry about at the time. Not ideal but I’d rather he miss less important kicks and be nailing the game defining one’s.
Reply/Quote

Antimatter?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 12:48 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Antimatter?

Sidespin. It's really kind of simple.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 09:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The military term for it is: Whiskey. India. November. Delta. but don't say anything that's Top Secret, hush hush, eyes only, secret squirrel society level. 

Where does one find such wind that is strong enough to move a football off its flightpath while simultaneously not being strong enough to move a plastic flag at the top of the goalpost. Shocked
Reply/Quote
Wind in the dead of winter in freezing cold weather isn't always uniformed. I've seen it in trees where one section of the same tree looks perfectly still toward the top and blowing like crazy a few feet down.. Just because flags may have been still doesn't mean there was no wind at eye level. I'm going to assume you've all stood outside in the freezing cold when the wind is cutting right through..  Fun, huh? Especially if you have to fix your car! There's nothing more fun than emergency below freezing car repairs in high winds..At least he didn't have to fix his car out there. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Where does one find such wind that is strong enough to move a football off its flightpath while simultaneously not being strong enough to move a plastic flag at the top of the goalpost. Shocked

I get it. I even said in the game day thread the plastic flags weren't moving a lot. I'm no expert on the wind at NE. But I do know everybody says the wind swirls on that end of the stadium and it's hard to kick there, especially in the winter. The other guy missed 2 down there as well.

(12-27-2022, 10:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: Wind in the dead of winter in freezing cold weather isn't always uniformed. I've seen it in trees where one section of the same tree looks perfectly still toward the top and blowing like crazy a few feet down.. Just because flags may have been still doesn't mean there was no wind at eye level. I'm going to assume you've all stood outside in the freezing cold when the wind is cutting right through..  Fun, huh? Especially if you have to fix your car! There's nothing more fun than emergency below freezing car repairs in high winds..At least he didn't have to fix his car out there. ThumbsUp

Exactly

I've never been a kicker. But I've got a lot of experience as a hunter/shooter. And I can say without any doubt what the wind is doing where you're standing and what the wind is doing 50, 100, 300 yards away can be vastly different. Yes I realize he wasn't kicking 300 yards. Butt.... when you add in swirling wind being rerouted by a stadium you easily could get funky results. Wind is swirling here, putting down pressure on ball. And 25 yards away wind is calm.

At any rate I'm not overly concerned, yet.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Where does one find such wind that is strong enough to move a football off its flightpath while simultaneously not being strong enough to move a plastic flag at the top of the goalpost. Shocked

Hey, those flag things are heavy. Do you see how big they are?  Plus, I heard they're made of tungsten. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

I was gonna drop this whole thing because it's really stupid, but i keep seeing where people (dunno, maybe it's just you?) saying that the flags weren't moving. Those flags are approximately 45 feet in the air. 

Are you going to try and tell me that if wind blows at lower levels, it MUST also blow at higher levels? That it's ABSOLUTELY NOT POSSIBLE for wind to blow at lower levels, unless it is also blowing at higher levels?

Are you going to posit, to me, that--'the wind wasn't blowing the flags at the top of the goal post', SO THEREFORE, IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE WIND TO BE BLOWING DOWN ON AND/OR NEAR THE FIELD OF PLAY?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
That's enlightening, Pally. Basically, Simmons states conditions were a big part of the misses, but not solely the cause, and that there are things McPherson needs to fix.  It doesn't seem so simple to fix, given that he said Evan needs to "pull hard to get through," and "needs to pull harder," and at the same time states Evan was "pulling a little too hard."
Reply/Quote