Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everyone is complaining, but...
(10-29-2018, 08:09 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The Bengals are 23rd in yards per game on offense. Good is an overstatement.

But great scoring points (TD's) in the redzone while others struggle. Yards is just one stat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Idk about you, but my goal is always the Super Bowl. The team always needs to be showing the potential for it, or needs to show signs of moving towards the goal.

Right now, I feel like our best players are hitting their 30s, and our team will not make a deep playoff run. I see signs of a "window" that is closing. This team cannot win right now against the SB contenders when it counts... Chiefs, Steelers, Rams, Patriots, Saints all look far more complete and competitive than we do.

I get using the stats, but you also have to be fair to what you're seeing on the field. Both times we have faced SB caliber teams, we have walked away with an L.
Reply/Quote
New England has not escaped injury by any means. They lost both running backs to start the season and gronks missed time with injuries. And that’s just off the top of my head and I don’t follow them at all so I’m sure they’ve had others. Edelman and Gordon just joined the team after week 4.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, I get it Sunset....to be honest, I had them pegged at 4-4 at the very best coming into the season at the bye. They're actually a little better than I thought. Last season, people blamed the offense because the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. We'll, one year later, same issue with a good offense.

Plus I look at the games thus far is how this team won/lost the games. Its hard to feel great about it. Yes we won yesterday but the way the team played in the second half? You aren't going far post season that way. And no I don't believe they will "fix it" This season is half over and the defense (for example) hasn't been fixed in the slightest bit. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not saying they're great, or anything close.  Just saying that they've held par with some of the best Offenses in the league.  The team was also pretty beaten up, and emotionally dejected, following the Steelers debacle.  It's not uncommon at all, for teams to have a letdown the week after a draining game like that one.  That's not by any means an excuse, just a logical explanation.

Having a week off, getting some injured guys healthy, and perhaps a little introspection on the part of the coaching staff is just what this team needs.  They have an opportunity to really make a statement versus the Saints, who will certainly be drained after hosting the Rams this week.  On might say that they will be "ripe for the picking".  

Doesn't seem to be the case for the Patriots. Usually when they have a letdown one week, god help the team they play the following week because its usually a blood bath. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 08:41 PM)GodFather Wrote: Doesn't seem to be the case for the Patriots. Usually when they have a letdown one week, god help the team they play the following week because its usually a blood bath. 

Sure, you can grab at the low hanging fruit and use the Patriots as your example, that is the easy way to compare organizations.  When our ownership's mentality is the same as theirs, we can compare programs.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nobody seems to realize that the Bengals have played against 5 of the top 10 Offenses in the NFL, so far.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total

This is certainly no excuse for the complete team meltdown at KC, but I'm just sayin' 5-3 right now ain't that bad.
Maybe because a lot of these Jerks were hoping Browns would have a better season.  News Alert to them : After just 3 wins in 3 seasons Hue Jackson just got shoot canned. Yeah, Browns are great. Since real Browns moved to Baltimore, that makes about 10 owners, 100 coaches and 1,000 quarterbacks who stunk up Cleveland. Got to rub it in on all those on here who posted how much better Browns are.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, I get it Sunset....to be honest, I had them pegged at 4-4 at the very best coming into the season at the bye. They're actually a little better than I thought. Last season, people blamed the offense because the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. We'll, one year later, same issue with a good offense.

23rd ranked offense (yards), 10th (scoring), 14th (3rd down)

I don't know if it's a "good" offense, but it's an okay one. Not to split hairs or anything, but if you figure the Top 12 are "playoff" offenses, the Bengals are a little outside of that when you look at the three big rankings.

I think the special teams makes the offense look a little better than it is because they are 6th in KR average, 10th in PR average, and Huber has the Bengals tied for 4th in most punts inside the 20 which generally result in good field position if you can stop them. It's what has allowed the good scoring even with the poor moving the ball.

OL/Injuries/Marvin are the three things keeping this offense from being great.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nobody seems to realize that the Bengals have played against 5 of the top 10 Offenses in the NFL, so far.

This is certainly no excuse for the complete team meltdown at KC, but I'm just sayin' 5-3 right now ain't that bad.

Interesting take on the Bengals and one that I would not have guessed.

I just can't escape the Jeckel & Hyde aspect of this team's play though.

Here's another reason to not like Mike Brown: The team has not beaten the Steelers since they let Reggie Nelson walk and he was a Ben killer. Bates might become that guy though.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:31 PM)GodFather Wrote: But still can't beat Pittsburgh and tanked under the national spotlight big game in KC. 

Know what my take is? We all see what we want to see. And whatever that is....is fine.  ThumbsUp

And the refs.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, you can grab at the low hanging fruit and use the Patriots as your example, that is the easy way to compare organizations.  When our ownership's mentality is the same as theirs, we can compare programs.  

Well if your going to compare us to the best teams you cant pick and choose. Want to compare us to playing against the best and competing then you have to compare the other side of that too, those teams who overcome adversity and rise to the occasion. 

Its all or nothing big boy!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 08:08 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Thank you.

5-3 despite new defensive scheme, new offensive scheme AND tons of injuries.

All three losses were not unexpected. The KC loss was brutal enough for this Team to fold - which it didn't.

Agree and everybody acts like the steeler game could not have went either way and that the steelers just dominated. 

Plus Bengals were expected to do nothing at all this year but now everybody acts like we are loaded for bear. 

This Bengals team has played with tremendous heart with exception of the KC game. Yet they still get kicked and pulled through the mud by their own fans even after a win and a 5-3 record against solid teams.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 12:20 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and everybody acts like the steeler game could not have went either way and that the steelers just dominated. 

Plus Bengals were expected to do nothing at all this year but everybody acts like we are loaded for bear. 

This Bengals team has played with tremendous heart with exception of the KC game. Yet they still get kicked and pulled through the mud by their own fans even after a win and a 5-3 record against solid teams.  

That is the part I don't understand, too many just can't let the past go and live in the present. They must love misery,

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 12:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is the part I don't understand, too many just can't let the past go and live in the present. They must love misery,

Seems they like to waller in the misery. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Ironically part of the reason dthose 5 teams have a top 10 offense is a result of playing against us.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:31 PM)GodFather Wrote: But still can't beat Pittsburgh and tanked under the national spotlight big game in KC. 

Know what my take is? We all see what we want to see. And whatever that is....is fine.  ThumbsUp

But we can beat Baltimore and we did under the national spotlight big game in Cincy.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 02:10 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: But we can beat Baltimore and we did under the national spotlight big game in Cincy.

No we didn't, wasn't a primetime major game for the Bengals. Thats not national spotlight...Sundays game against the Chiefs was a national spotlight game in primetime.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 02:35 AM)GodFather Wrote: No we didn't, wasn't a primetime major game for the Bengals. Thats not national spotlight...Sundays game against the Chiefs was a national spotlight game in primetime.

That’s getting awful nitpicky. If it wasn’t a 1pm Sunday afternoon game, it’s prime time.

Reply/Quote
OK everybody. Ravens are tougher at home in Baltimore. Always are. Steelers will find this out Sunday when they get their butts kicked in Baltimore and that pushes bye week Bengals back into First Place. Forget what Can Newton does to defenses including Baltimore last week. Baltimore Defense vs Steelers Defense and Baltimore Defense will be too tough at home with 12th man fans. Baltimore D has been much better than Steelers D so far this season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 04:28 AM)kevin Wrote: OK everybody. Ravens are tougher at home in Baltimore. Always are.  Steelers will find this out Sunday when they get their butts kicked in Baltimore and that pushes bye week Bengals back into First Place.  Forget what Can Newton does to defenses including Baltimore last week. Baltimore Defense vs Steelers Defense and Baltimore Defense will be too tough at home with 12th man fans.  Baltimore D has been much better than Steelers D so far this season.

Our bad 2017 team beat Ravens last year, in Baltimore and knocked them out of playoffs.

I see Steelers beating Ravens Sunday, simply they are the better team right now

Reply/Quote