Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations for Kirkpatrick this year
(08-17-2016, 01:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think he steps up his game in a contract year, and last year was his first full year as a starter and healthy (started 15 games if I'm not mistaken, which is close enough).

I think he comes to play and gets at least one pick 6  ThumbsUp

To me,his position is by far the toughest one to handle on any team.I feel he plays as good as any on any team.Yes,he makes mistakes,but he is doing that when he is trying his best to stop someone.And these guys get slapped around all game,and I know if I was playing that position,I would drill some dudes when I had the chance,I do not blame him for being aggressive,I like his style and hope he has a great year.He is fast enough,tough enough,smart enough,just has to handle his business a little bit better.I am for one glad he is on our side.A lot of struggling teams would love to have him.I see him having a great year,and if I had his hair I would be a movie star,well maybe.Not bad for an old 70 year old Vietnam vet.I been around our team for 45 years.Joined up right after I got home from Nam.I have a ton of family in the nati,I live just an hour outside of the city in the boonies.Love it here,all my brothers and sisters pack heat out here and that's why its a very safe area.We love our 2nd admentment,and our BENGALS.Now LETS GO,ITS OUR TURN,OUR TIME AND OUR TEAM.SEE YOU AT PBS.
Reply/Quote
I expect him to see a lot of passes thrown his way again this year.  And I think he will perform well.  He'll have a number of big plays that change games.  But he'll give up a couple of plays which everyone will remember clearly and want to run him out of town.  Up to this point I can't defend him being a first round pick, but I truly do expect him to have a really solid year this year and I look forward to seeing how that pans out for us.  I am honestly much more worried about Shawn Williams than I am Dre this year, as far as our secondary as a whole is concerned.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 02:55 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: To me,his position is by far the toughest one to handle on any team.I feel he plays as good as any on any team.Yes,he makes mistakes,but he is doing that when he is trying his best to stop someone.And these guys get slapped around all game,and I know if I was playing that position,I would drill some dudes when I had the chance,I do not blame him for being aggressive,I like his style and hope he has a great year.He is fast enough,tough enough,smart enough,just has to handle his business a little bit better.I am for one glad he is on our side.A lot of struggling teams would love to have him.I see him having a great year,and if I had his hair I would be a movie star,well maybe.Not bad for an old 70 year old Vietnam vet.I been around our team for 45 years.Joined up right after I got home from Nam.I have a ton of family in the nati,I live just an hour outside of the city in the boonies.Love it here,all my brothers and sisters pack heat out here and that's why its a very safe area.We love our 2nd admentment,and our BENGALS.Now LETS GO,ITS OUR TURN,OUR TIME AND OUR TEAM.SEE YOU AT PBS.

Thank you for your service, sir!   The end of your post kinda freaked me out with all the pro-gun enthusiasm that was completely out of left field.  But it was good for an audible chuckle while I was reading that.  Although my AR and Beretta .40 completely agree with your 2nd amendment sentiments!!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 02:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I say he's among the top 111

I say so is Adam Jones Mellow
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 03:27 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I say so is Adam Jones Mellow

Exactly.. I didn't say he was 111th, just among them.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 07:55 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Good for being the only guy to never stop chasing a play.

Only because most of the time it's his guy he's chasing once he missed a tackle or got destroyed by a double move.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 03:14 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: I expect him to see a lot of passes thrown his way again this year.  And I think he will perform well.  He'll have a number of big plays that change games.  But he'll give up a couple of plays which everyone will remember clearly and want to run him out of town.  Up to this point I can't defend him being a first round pick, but I truly do expect him to have a really solid year this year and I look forward to seeing how that pans out for us.  I am honestly much more worried about Shawn Williams than I am Dre this year, as far as our secondary as a whole is concerned.
I was disappointed in Dre Kirk's play last season. However, if he has studied film with his position coach or a mentor, he should be a better CB this season.  He was a first round selection so maybe he should hire Hall to teach him the finer points of his craft.
Reply/Quote
I expect him to play similarly as las year but to be a better tackler. Despite what many believe, he wasn't horrid last year.  His targets were high but so were his pass breakup numbers. If he can improve in his route recognition and especially his tackling that would help immensely. I would expect improvement in those departments.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 02:38 AM)RASCAL Wrote: everybody on this board thinks you are on some type of drugs! then you post shit like this and leave no doubt!

Well, that's certainly not a personal remark.  You disagree with his opinion, so he's on drugs?  Classy.   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 02:55 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I have a ton of family in the nati,I live just an hour outside of the city in the boonies.Love it here,all my brothers and sisters pack heat out here and that's why its a very safe area.We love our 2nd admentment,and our BENGALS.Now LETS GO,ITS OUR TURN,OUR TIME AND OUR TEAM.SEE YOU AT PBS.

Post of the year thus far! Now excuse me while I go run through yet ANOTHER brick wall after reading one of your posts!

Reply/Quote
He will have a solid season and get a huge deal from someone else.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Dre is not the garbage that some on this board make him out to be, but he has definitely been the weak link in the Bengals' secondary. I would expect his play to stay about the same, and that he will continue to get targeted often. As others have said, he will have some nice plays and a few interceptions, followed by some "what were you thinking" moments. I do like his passion and the swagger he brings to the field.

The problem going forward is that he has not lived up to his first round draft status and I don't see how the team really knows what it has in Dennard (not to mention the fact that he cannot seem to stay healthy). Throw in Jackson being out, and I think we see Dre given a new contract at the end of the season. Question becomes do they pick up Dennard's fifth year option? Personally, unless he can get healthy and shows a lot, I would not. I do like what we saw out of Shaw last year.
Reply/Quote
I still do not understand the unmitigated vitriol Kirk gets here. It must be the fact that he was a first rounder??? Has he played like a top five corner, absolutely not...has he been a more than adequate corner during his tenure, certainly. Hopefully he continues to play like an adequate corner, and I would venture to guess he improves this season.
Reply/Quote
He will do well a majority of the time, just like last year. He will also get constantly lambasted for a few bad plays, just like last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 07:55 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Good for being the only guy to never stop chasing a play.

(08-17-2016, 12:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Isn't it amazing how people forget the numerous times he's come from the opposite side of the field to run the play down and stop the touchdown? One thing about this board, once someone criticizes a player, there will be numerous parrots spouting the same thing over and over. My favorite is how during Gameday people will say the QB is targeting Dre like it's because he stinks, when actually it's just that they don't want to throw at Pac..... 

I agree with you guys.  I'm not a huge fan of him, but he does do some things well.

Chasing down players from busted plays are pretty impressive. 

He saved a few TDs and that is something that doesn't show up in a stat line.

Dre has made plays that helped the team and he's not garbage.

He needs to improve and I hope he does clean up his game but some are excusable.

Especially as a CB if he gets targeted frequently and is on the field the majority of the downs that his penalties are going to rack up quicker.

Fewer penalties is always a good thing but I'd rather see a CB make them instead of giving up a TD any day.

It's the same thing as any 1st rounder...  he's gonna get flamed if he's not living up to draft status.

Even if that happens around the league every season at all positions.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 01:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I find it interesting that he is entering his 5th season as a Bengal and we are still making threads debating on what kind of player he is going to be.  I predict we will have this guy figured out sometime before he retires.

The people in the know already have him figured out.  It will just take everyone else a while to catch up.

Kind of like the way the know nothings used to bash Justin Smith and claim that he was garbage.

And the ones who claimed Leon Hall was too slow to cover fast receivers.

And the ones who claimed Dalton has a weak arm.

And the ones who who claimed Whitworth was not good enough to play left tackle and should be moved to guard.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 09:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The people in the know already have him figured out.  It will just take everyone else a while to catch up.

Kind of like the way the know nothings used to bash Justin Smith and claim that he was garbage.

And the ones who who claimed Whitworth was not good enough to play left tackle and should be moved to guard.

Kirkpatrick isn't as good as any of those players you mentioned though. He's solid, but the ones you listed were / are top teir players in the NFL
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 10:03 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Kirkpatrick isn't as good as any of those players you mentioned though. He's solid, but the ones you listed were / are top teir players in the NFL

Which proves how clueless some Bengal fans are when it comes to judging talent.
Reply/Quote
I think Dre Kirkpatrick is gonna need his own "All things Dre Kirkpatrick Megathread".

Or better yet we can do a weekly "Good Plays vs. Bad Plays" thread once the season gets underway. No more flawed formulas, rankings, or eyeball tests.

I don't care how he stacks up against Peterson, Claiborne, Browner blah, blah, blah. Is he doing his part to help his team win games? That's what's important to me.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 09:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The people in the know already have him figured out.  It will just take everyone else a while to catch up.

Dalton did have a weak arm (average, at best) for the NFL until he started working with Tom House.  

Prior to working with Tom, his deep balls weren't too deep and he struggled making throws that required a bit of velocity.
Reply/Quote