Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FC Cincinnati is building a practice facility but the Bengals still wont
I dunno and furthermore I duncare.. (Why yes! I DID invent a new word on the spot and thanks for asking) 
Like many of you I too have had to do hard work out in the freezing cold and I did it for a hell of a lot less money than any player to ever wear stripes. I worked hanging billboards (sometimes 60 feet up) back in the late 70s (think blizzard of 77) when it was done with paste and lots of water and the temperature was south of zero most days. 
I'm just not willing to hand out sympathy pills for young millionaires getting paid way too much to be out in the cold to practice playing a kids game.  (ok, perhaps a mans game, but it's still just a game) 
If I could stand on a 2 foot ledge soaking wet in zero weather with 30mph winds then football players can run around catching balls and tackling each other in better conditions. 
And by the way, sometimes those billboards had electrical shorts and the entire steel backing became electrified.. That's always fun when you're soaking wet.. Needless to say that is not a profession for the faint of heart.. 
And just when you thought that football couldn't get any more pussified.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 09:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I get where you are coming from. I even mentioned the Steelers too about how they share a facility with the Pitt Panthers. However, the difference is the Steelers name is on the side and they own (part of) the facility. Whereas the Bengals are borrowing someone else's facility. It's about perception. The Bengals are perceived as being cheap because they don't own at least a share of an indoor practice facility.

Perhaps the Bengals should pounce at this opportunity to partner with FC Cincinnati and share the costs. That way, it looks like the Bengals are both not being as cheap as before and also looking to assist a new up-and-coming professional sports team in succeeding in Cincinnati.

It's partly about perception, but the reality is that the Steelers aren't sharing anything outside of a roof. It's already been stated many times, but the Steelers have their own field, weight room, offices, and even library and cafeteria in that facility. Meanwhile, the Bengals have to get UC's permission and hope they don't need it for anything. Then if they get everything arranged and get permission, they'd have to load 53 players + coaches on busses and make the 6 mile round trip. If they need to work out, they have to be back at PBS at a certain time to squeeze that in, as they don't have an NFL weight facility at UC.

(06-06-2017, 11:53 AM)sandwedge Wrote: $5 million? That would would probably pay for breaking the ground and getting utilities buried. The field itself would cost that much. Not picking on you SHRacerX. You're looking at probably closer to $35-$40 million.

UC's bubble had a cost of $15.5 million:

http://magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/recent_features/practicefields.html

Not that it's much to Mike Brown, who spent a whopping $200 million buying up the remaining shares in the Bengals back in 2011.

http://www.wlwt.com/article/brown-family-to-buy-remaining-stake-in-bengals/3518961

Quote:"It's $200 million they are paying for 30 percent of the franchise, and they are paying for it out of cash reserves," said Steve Watkins, of the Business Courier. "It shows you how profitable the franchise has been over the years."

"Because the Bengals have over the years saved money and used a big portion to buy back shares from minority owners, and that's done now, they could take that future cash and could pump some of it back into the team," Watkins said.

(06-06-2017, 01:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm just not willing to hand out sympathy pills for young millionaires getting paid way too much to be out in the cold to practice playing a kids game. 

This is not about sympathy, it's about wanting your team to have every advantage afforded to them that is afforded to the rest of the league.

I don't see Whitworth and AJ Green as pussified, and I showed where they complained and/or said it was a disadvantage.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 01:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: I dunno and furthermore I duncare.. (Why yes! I DID invent a new word on the spot and thanks for asking) 
Like many of you I too have had to do hard work out in the freezing cold and I did it for a hell of a lot less money than any player to ever wear stripes. I worked hanging billboards (sometimes 60 feet up) back in the late 70s (think blizzard of 77) when it was done with paste and lots of water and the temperature was south of zero most days. 
I'm just not willing to hand out sympathy pills for young millionaires getting paid way too much to be out in the cold to practice playing a kids game.  (ok, perhaps a mans game, but it's still just a game) 
If I could stand on a 2 foot ledge soaking wet in zero weather with 30mph winds then football players can run around catching balls and tackling each other in better conditions. 
And by the way, sometimes those billboards had electrical shorts and the entire steel backing became electrified.. That's always fun when you're soaking wet.. Needless to say that is not a profession for the faint of heart.. 

I suppose it's all about the job we choose. I have watched sniper fire bounce off the ground mere inches from me and I have seen a vehicle 2 in front of me get blown up. So I'm not willing to hand out sympathy pills to someone that had to work in the cold while looking forward to returning to the warmth and security of their home at the end of the day.

I will say my employer did provide me with everything I required to perform my job and hopefully yours did as well. I see no problem in suggesting the Bengal's employer should do the same.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Seems like we could really use a practice bubble. It is nice to use the Bearcats, but seems a pro team should have no issue making this happen.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 01:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: I dunno and furthermore I duncare.. (Why yes! I DID invent a new word on the spot and thanks for asking) 

NFL players have a very specialized skill set that is very valuable. Treating them like run of the mill laborers is bad business.  You may as well ask the CEO of a major company to take an hour out of his day to empty all the trash cans in the building, lest he get the idea that he's better than everyone else there.

You can't compare yourself, your value, and your work experiences to those of an NFL player.  Sorry, but the truth hurts.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 11:53 AM)sandwedge Wrote: $5 million? That would would probably pay for breaking the ground and getting utilities buried. The field itself would cost that much. Not picking on you SHRacerX. You're looking at probably closer to $35-$40 million.

Has UC said we can't use their bubble anymore? Did the Bengals not clean up after themselves and were asked not to comeback? 

$8-11 per square feet and a football field is 80,000 square feet by itself.  Figure double size of an average football field, that comes to under $2 million.  I like the idea of bubbling the field next to PBS.  It's close and it is already turf.  At least I think one of the three fields are.  Even if it isn't, you could add turf for roughly $1 million (we did it Centerville, paid for by the QB Club) and you are still at $3 million.  Heating elements, take down and storage, and you have roughly $5 million amortized over 10 years.  

Again, it doesn't need trainers rooms, locker rooms, film rooms, etc.  That is all at the stadium.  Just a walk across the sidewalk.  

I would offer naming rights to it and the practice field area and knock another million off my costs.  
Reply/Quote
Water is wet, Mike Brown is cheap. This is the way its always been. I imagine the players will get a decent practice facility around the same time as they'll get a proper organizational Hall of Fame.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
As I said, I don't really care if they build one or not.... but my guess is MB is looking down the road at a new stadium with a dome.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As I said, I don't really care if they build one or not.... but my guess is MB is looking down the road at a new stadium with a dome.

Not trying to be disrespectful to Mr. Brown, but I seriously doubt he is around to see that.  In fact, I doubt I will be either.

It would make sense, but I can't imagine it happening in the next 30 years.  I sure have a case of stadium envy over what Atlanta is building.  
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As I said, I don't really care if they build one or not.... but my guess is MB is looking down the road at a new stadium with a dome.

Gawd, I hope not. Cannot stand domed stadiums for football. If that were to happen, I'd lose all interest in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2017, 11:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: $8-11 per square feet and a football field is 80,000 square feet by itself.  Figure double size of an average football field, that comes to under $2 million.  I like the idea of bubbling the field next to PBS.  It's close and it is already turf.  At least I think one of the three fields are.  Even if it isn't, you could add turf for roughly $1 million (we did it Centerville, paid for by the QB Club) and you are still at $3 million.  Heating elements, take down and storage, and you have roughly $5 million amortized over 10 years.  

Again, it doesn't need trainers rooms, locker rooms, film rooms, etc.  That is all at the stadium.  Just a walk across the sidewalk.  

I would offer naming rights to it and the practice field area and knock another million off my costs.  

Your per square footage cost are probably lower where you live that where I live. All is moot, because building a facility is probably not going to happen anytime soon. And I'm ok with that because i don't think it matters in performance on the field.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 11:32 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Gawd, I hope not. Cannot stand domed stadiums for football. If that were to happen, I'd lose all interest in the NFL.

See, I get irritated watching a game when the elements affect my team negatively. And I definitely don't care to go to games if it's too hot/cold or a downpour. I want as near ideal conditions as possible which for me are low 70's and no precipitation (perhaps why I want to leave Ohio). If a game is not close to ideal weather, I typically prefer to just watch from home.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2017, 04:51 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Who says practicing indoors will make the team any better? I've yet to see any kind of proof to support this claim. I tend to believe there are about 100 bigger problems with this team and franchise then a practice bubble

And you actually just supported my second point. You say "if he sold it" that means in order to be as filthy rich as you claim he is he would need to sell his team. I didn't say he was broke, just that he doesn't have a billion dollars sitting in the bank or under his mattress. There is difference between owning something worth a lot of money and having a lot of cash to spend. I think the Bengals and the Brown family are probably spending WAY more of what they bring in then people realize. 

I'm not saying you should feel sorry for them or that they're broke, but at the end of the day he is running a business and doesn't seem to think the return on investment for a practice facility will be worth it. No one here seems to have pointed out any way that it would be. Other than to make the fans "happy" or give them one less thing to complain about
Zero playoffs wins since I was 11.   We gotta change something   .what they are doing is not working    ..this included
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 04:50 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Water is wet, Mike Brown is cheap. This is the way its always been. I imagine the players will get a decent practice facility around the same time as they'll get a proper organizational Hall of Fame.

How long does Mikey plan on living?  Ye gods, I've seen Dodge Neons that last longer than these new stadiums!
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 08:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not trying to be disrespectful to Mr. Brown, but I seriously doubt he is around to see that.  In fact, I doubt I will be either.

It would make sense, but I can't imagine it happening in the next 30 years.  I sure have a case of stadium envy over what Atlanta is building.  

I think he realizes the Bengals are going to stay in his family. That, and it won't be that long until PBS needs major renovations or replacement. And a dome could be leased out for other events, plus put Cincy in the SB host hunt....In all reality, a place with a retractable roof is the way to go..... 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 11:38 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Your per square footage cost are probably lower where you live that where I live. All is moot, because building a facility is probably not going to happen anytime soon. And I'm ok with that because i don't think it matters in performance on the field.

I meant to link this article:

Wow, I was really asleep yesterday while posting.  Here it is:

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/gym-fieldhouse/maximizing-field-use-and-budgets-with-seasonal-domes.html
Reply/Quote
MB ain't gonna build a practice facility. Why should he,he feels no fan loyalty,not that that makes any difference. But he feels, I guess; that if the team plays in bad weather they might as well practice in bad weather!
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 08:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think he realizes the Bengals are going to stay in his family. That, and it won't be that long until PBS needs major renovations or replacement. And a dome could be leased out for other events, plus put Cincy in the SB host hunt....In all reality, a place with a retractable roof is the way to go..... 

ThumbsUp
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Pats buying two planes for the squad.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20285127/new-england-patriots-first-nfl-team-own-planes

At least Southwest flys out of CVG now - Mike can book those 'wanna get away' fares, and with the no change or booking fees, they can save a few 100K over Delta or United I imagine.

Still need that budget for the practice facility, tho.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 01:07 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Pats buying two planes for the squad.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20285127/new-england-patriots-first-nfl-team-own-planes

At least Southwest flys out of CVG now - Mike can book those 'wanna get away' fares, and with the no change or booking fees, they can save a few 100K over Delta or United I imagine.

Still need that budget for the practice facility, tho.

Well now, if anything can bankrupt the Krafts, losing that plane over a city could just be the ticket.... better keep up on the maintenance and pilots there, Robert.
Reply/Quote