Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill O'Brien
(12-11-2017, 08:08 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Give me Todd Haley. Trade Dalton to Washington for whatever they will give us. Sign Kirk Cousins. Draft o-line.

Hopefully Haley can turn Ross and Mixon into the next AB and Le'Veon.

I like his hard nosed attitude but something rubs me like this guy is a total d1ck, which maybe we need

he is in the offensive side of the ball and does have HC experience 

honestly if it was him or anyone on our staff def give me Haley
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:54 AM)corpjet Wrote: looks like he will be canned at the end of the year in Houston.

I think he should be given a strong look by the front office for the following reasons...

1.  Current HC, no on the job training

2.  Turned Penn State around after the (Joe Paterno/Sandusky scandal in short time, went 15-9 in two years)

3.  Is offensive minded

4.  Has won playoff games

5.  Is a no nonsense in your face kind of coach, disciplinarian type

6.  Disciple of Bellichek who has done something upon leaving

7.  Won in Houston despite not having a Top 15 QB

8.  Had a winning season in 3 of his 4 years in Houston

Agree or Disagree?  If you disagree why?

Definately agree, good one Corpjet. All for Bill O'Brien, Russ Grimm, McDaniels, Lafleur, Nagy, Patricia, Haley etc.

Lots of good prospects out there and i think all of them would be better than Marv.

Nice that O'Brien has HC experience, might even give him the edge over Grimm cause of this.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:49 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Contrary to popular belief the Cincinnati Bengals need a defensive minded head coach.  Allowing 33 points by the Bad News Bears?  That’s an embarrassment.

I don't know hw much it matters with the HC. Outside of the rare "I'm going to fire the coordinator and call my own plays" most head coaches are about implementing a style, not plays on a game-by-game basis. We've got Marvin Lewis who was supposed to be a defensive phenom, but most of his years with good defenses came under Zimmer, leaving one to think it's more about the coordinators and not the HC. Hell, I think Belichick was a defensive coach before he became a HC, but he'll go down for helming one of the game's most prolific offensive teams.

As far as the OP, I'm surprised, I hadn't heard that about O'Brien. I thought he was a good coach. If he's available, I'd definitely take a look. And I'd take him over Marv in a heartbeat. But that's not saying much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:58 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Players lie. Players want to play. 
And yes he does. Have you seen those tablets they have? They are filled with pictures and videos from the drive that literally just finished. In the end, he's the head coach. You just watched your QB get obliterated and have a seizure. 

In the modern age, there is literally no excuse for "I didn't see it"
HD video replay can be had instantly. 
If your QB goes down, the coach better be checking on him. 

I'm not saying he missed a diagnosis but common sense should dictate: You had what appeared to be a seizure. You are not well enough to go back in. 

I've never seen the HC holding a tablet during a game. 

OC, DC, QB coach, other position coaches, absolutely. Every time I've seen a head coach, they are talking to someone on the sidelines or into the mic on their headset and looking at the field of play. 

The dude went down in the back of the endzone, the laws of physics say that O'Brien couldn't have seen it happen live. Not humanly possible.

As I said, the ref sends him off, I would bet anything based on my conversations with other coaches (granted it was mostly college HC's and only 1 NFL coach while working in Georgia) but when Savage gets sent off, O'Brien is counting on his trainers and medical personal to say the guy is out or in. He is not trained to make that decision, if they say he can play, then...he has to believe them.

Common sense is, he probably didn't know that Savage appeared to have a seizure until after he came off and was then "cleared" by supposed professionals. 

I've seen guys get lit up on the field, and thought to myself, that guy is done for the day. He gets helped off the field and one play later he is back in the game and looks fine. I'm not going to fault O'Brien for that and if that is all you have against the guy, it's not worth discussing.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
why would Houston cut him. id take him in a heart beat
Reply/Quote