Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feelings on Mike Pettine
Here's a new one..... the Browns are supposedly in talks with Peyton Manning to have him come on board in some capacity. Offer him the job here....
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:40 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I see posts about Hue Jackson, Josh McDaniels (8-8 1st season, 3-9 the next) and Bill O Brian (under the assumption that he gets fired)...

I think my suggestion is right on par with the rest of em! Smirk

I agree with you.  While Pettine was nowhere near my radar, that last season was a difficult situation for him.  He was all for letting Johnny Fartball rot on the bench, but ownership forced his hand.  So he said "eff it", and gave 'em all a big shitburger to eat and played the hell outta him.  Sank the season with the little prick.  I kinda like the guy. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Also, don't let the "He coached for Cleveland" attitude be the sole reason you disapprove.
Because, if I recall, didn't Bill Belichick once coach the Browns?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hey...largely the same management team that produced that 27% win percentage before Marvin is in place! They'll turn things around!

Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  But, good God, man, do you have to keep burying us all in gloom?  Just how ***** sadistic are you?  There's expressing reality and there's downright cruelty and you are delighting in rubbing our faces in it.

And in 2003, a lot of people were saying no decent coach would ever come here too. The thing about a high paying job, of which only 32 exist, there will be a line to take one of them. Bank on it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe I'll start some threads about how our offense has too many weapons like I saw in the offseason and how we'd be 11-5?

It's quite easy to see how mismanaged this team is. We had a bad offensive line last year and allowed our 2 best lineman go...and fans talked about how great we'd be regardless.

Most people on this board live in willful ignorance.

Like switching HC's will fix the team. We have 10 guys on PFF that rank Poor. Among the worst starters at their position.

Basically free agent losses ripped this team apart over the past 2 offseasons...then bad drafts sunk it from there...and I call it like it is and people can't handle it.

I wonder how PFF graded the 2010 49ers that finished 6-10?

Then Jim Harbaugh comes in and they go 13-3 and make the NFC title game.

There are lots of examples like this. Even with this franchise, when Marvin took a 2-14 team and flipped them to 8-8.

Sometimes a new voice does wonders. 

(12-12-2017, 01:40 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I see posts about Hue Jackson, Josh McDaniels (8-8 1st season, 3-9 the next) and Bill O Brian (under the assumption that he gets fired)...

I think my suggestion is right on par with the rest of em! Smirk

Fair enough. Apparently everyone is aiming low and trying to convince themselves to get excited about these lame candidates. 

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough. Apparently everyone is aiming low and trying to convince themselves to get excited about these lame candidates. 

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

You better get excited about these lame candidates, because these are the types of characters that will be running this Bengal team moving forward.

I don't think people are purposefully aiming low, we just have very tempered expectations.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe I'll start some threads about how our offense has too many weapons like I saw in the offseason and how we'd be 11-5?

It's quite easy to see how mismanaged this team is. We had a bad offensive line last year and allowed our 2 best lineman go...and fans talked about how great we'd be regardless.

Most people on this board live in willful ignorance.

Like switching HC's will fix the team. We have 10 guys on PFF that rank Poor. Among the worst starters at their position.

Basically free agent losses ripped this team apart over the past 2 offseasons...then bad drafts sunk it from there...and I call it like it is and people can't handle it.

New HC who brings in new assistant coaches is actually a reason to be excited.

The Rams were garbage under Fisher. New coach, new schemes and yes one big FA addition in Whit, but Whit alone did not turn them into a team that is leading their division. It was all of the above mixed together.

A new coach, who gets to hire a new OL coach instantly makes this team better.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 04:29 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: You better get excited about these lame candidates, because these are the types of characters that will be running this Bengal team moving forward.

I don't think people are purposefully aiming low, we just have very tempered expectations.

Better to expect less and be pleasantly surprised if they do hire someone good. I get it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:32 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Then why post? 

Then why follow the team?

Then why be here?

If all hope is lost, burn your gear, delete your account, and change your team. 

Seriously dude, if there is absolutely no hope and you've not noticed any change with things then you should stop following the team.

Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I see changes, I see Mike Brown bailing on his old methods when he got Marvin. I see him over time listening to others on draft strategy. I still see mistakes and there is still needed changes, but he made a good move when he hired Marvin all those years ago to turn things around and the team is no where near as bad as it was then. Why is it so hard to think he could make another hire that takes that next step and actually wins?

Ok, 15 years ago he hired a coach that changed some of the culture around here. And?????

He can hire someone but he needs to let them build a team as they see fit. Brown has not been successful at doing that for a LONG time. He needs to step away a bit and let the football people run the show. He’s terrible at that.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 07:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: New HC who brings in new assistant coaches is actually a reason to be excited.

The Rams were garbage under Fisher. New coach, new schemes and yes one big FA addition in Whit, but Whit alone did not turn them into a team that is leading their division. It was all of the above mixed together.

A new coach, who gets to hire a new OL coach instantly makes this team better.

The Rams added way more than Whitworth in free agency and trades. They added Sammy Watkins who is a #1. Robert Woods who is a #2 and Center John Sullivan.

IF you added 4 good free agents to our roster...it would greatly improve us too.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 10:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Rams added way more than Whitworth in free agency and trades. They added Sammy Watkins who is a #1. Robert Woods who is a #2 and Center John Sullivan.

IF you added 4 good free agents to our roster...it would greatly improve us too.

I'll agree with the center, I had forgotten him. 

Watkins was looked at as a bust and really wasn't much of a 1 until he got with new coaches who used him correctly.

Woods never broke 700 yards in a season until this year and like Watkins, a change of scene and new coaching scheme goes a long way. 

The Rams leading receiver and real number 1 threat currently is the rookie Kupp. The coaches there aren't afraid to play the rookies.

I am just trying to show you it isn't a given the team will suck next season. Mike hires the right guy and we get the right assistants and this team can compete. Plus they should beef up the line in the draft.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 12:15 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'll agree with the center, I had forgotten him. 

Watkins was looked at as a bust and really wasn't much of a 1 until he got with new coaches who used him correctly.

Woods never broke 700 yards in a season until this year and like Watkins, a change of scene and new coaching scheme goes a long way. 

The Rams leading receiver and real number 1 threat currently is the rookie Kupp. The coaches there aren't afraid to play the rookies.

I am just trying to show you it isn't a given the team will suck next season. Mike hires the right guy and we get the right assistants and this team can compete. Plus they should beef up the line in the draft.

We don't sign the volume of free agents needed to turn this ship around.

We might not suck next year. We could win 9 games with the right moves.

But, we're worse than fans think this year...because this was an epically easy schedule. Winning 5 games this year is like 3 on a normal schedule.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 12:15 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'll agree with the center, I had forgotten him. 

We could go 6-10 next year and there will be fans on here talking about how next year is our year. Heck, we lost our 2 best offensive lineman in the offseason and a lot of fans on this board were talking about how the team improved overall. It's what people on this board do.

Heck, the NFL is a worst to 1st league. 23 teams have been to the SB since we last won a playoff game!

The fact that we can't win a playoff game is an epic outlier. It's as if we try to not win one.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 12:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We could go 6-10 next year and there will be fans on here talking about how next year is our year. Heck, we lost our 2 best offensive lineman in the offseason and a lot of fans on this board were talking about how the team improved overall. It's what people on this board do.

Heck, the NFL is a worst to 1st league. 23 teams have been to the SB since we last won a playoff game!

The fact that we can't win a playoff game is an epic outlier. It's as if we try to not win one.

I was one of the fans saying this would be a 4 or 5 win season at the start.

I'm a realist about this team. There is talent, Green, Dalton, Mixon, Gio, Atkins, WJIII, Burfict, Dunlap, and a few others but what is really lacking is leadership and control.

This team had a playoff game won, and against their biggest arch rivals. Instead, ball security and emotions completely screwed them. 

How many games have the Bengals looked great in one half, and then come out after halftime and just been owned. That is a lack of coaching and a lack of adjustments. That once again falls on the head coach.

Sure Mike Brown is cheap. And Ross was a dumb pick, and Whit and Zeitler shouldn't have been allowed to leave but even when Lewis has all the toys he needs and everything is going well....he can't get a team prepared to face a good team. When it matters the most, he shrinks. It is time for a change, and with the core this team has, the right coach can cause a quick turn around.

If you don't believe that is possible, I will say it again. Why are you here? If you think they are just going to fail, why continue to waste time talking about them? 

Your posts scream of someone who will never see any hope until after they win the Super Bowl and even then you'd ***** they didn't win by enough or it was too close or...any number of other reasons to be pissed.

As fans, this season and last are good reasons to be angry with Ownership and the Head Coach but you can't call yourself a fan and have no hope at the same time.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 12:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We don't sign the volume of free agents needed to turn this ship around.

We might not suck next year. We could win 9 games with the right moves.

But, we're worse than fans think this year...because this was an epically easy schedule. Winning 5 games this year is like 3 on a normal schedule.

See...and that is a positive and a place to build from.

I don't think this team is going to win the Super Bowl next season, but if they get the right coach and make a few additions (and additions by subtraction like letting Adam Jones go) the team will be headed back in the right direction and hey, who knows maybe in a few seasons they get back to that 10 or 11 game win mark and push through this time.

Reply/Quote