Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finley's "pocket awareness"
There is always another reason for these types of threads..I'm leaving no room for a backhanded compliment to Dalton. This team sucks ass.

It would nice to see AJ green and Andy against CLE and get a win regardless..crush the browns hopes. Aj sitting out until another team.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 08:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: I would have liked to have seen Jake. We need to see Ross and he'd have a qb that can take advantage of his skillset. But they need a win more than they need to evaluate. If we had a win, Dalton would still be on the bench.

Finley had everything but the arm, and who knows how much better it'll get given his age.

The story is likely still out on him. I can see an offseason of Hobspin full of the Goff comparisons and the "rough" rookie years they had.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh..... disagree.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 07:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd really like to see Dolegala play a couple games. At least it'd be interesting. 

I wouldn't mind it. If we're considering our future backup, it'd be nice to see him in action for a few games.

(11-25-2019, 08:21 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I don't want to die on Finley hill ,what ever that means ,but going thru more of ADs middling seasons would be unbearable. Andy losing ten straight to the Steelers even when he had good teams just emphasizes the Andyness in people who want to keep him to still be the QB.

You said "Given nine more chances how worse can Finley be?". Are you really trying to insinuate Finley is on Dalton's level? That's the hill I'm referring to. You're literally comparing some 4th round pick who just strung together 3 of the worst games we've seen at QB since Gus Frerotte, and you're comparing him to the franchise leader in passing TD's. It's ridiculous.

As is only using Steelers games when this team has struggled against the Steelers since forever. Just look at our lifetime 35-66 record against the Steelers. Which includes an 11-29 record against them between the time Paul Brown died and Dalton was drafted. Or if you prefer, 5-12 against them during the Marvin years that didn't include Dalton.

Btw, it's not 10 straight. Dalton has lost his last 7 against the Steelers. You're counting 3 games where he was injured or benched:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00/gamelog/

Either way, not surprising that a team that historically struggles vs the Steelers has lost 10 straight to them when the team has been bad overall for 4 years. Dalton played pretty well in several of them, yet we still lost.

To your last remark, nobody wants to keep Dalton on this board. At least no one I've seen. I just check people when they go overboard with the Andy hate. It's time to move on. That doesn't mean we pretend Dalton = Finley or he's always been trash.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 09:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't mind it. If we're considering our future backup, it'd be nice to see him in action for a few games.

You said "Given nine more chances how worse can Finley be?". Are you really trying to insinuate Finley is on Dalton's level? That's the hill I'm referring to. You're literally comparing some 4th round pick who just strung together 3 of the worst games we've seen at QB since Gus Frerotte, and you're comparing him to the franchise leader in passing TD's. It's ridiculous.

As is only using Steelers games when this team has struggled against the Steelers since forever. Just look at our lifetime 35-66 record against the Steelers. Which includes an 11-29 record against them between the time Paul Brown died and Dalton was drafted. Or if you prefer, 5-12 against them during the Marvin years that didn't include Dalton.

Btw, it's not 10 straight. Dalton has lost his last 7 against the Steelers. You're counting 3 games where he was injured or benched:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00/gamelog/

Either way, not surprising that a team that historically struggles vs the Steelers has lost 10 straight to them when the team has been bad overall for 4 years. Dalton played pretty well in several of them, yet we still lost.

To your last remark, nobody wants to keep Dalton on this board. At least no one I've seen. I just check people when they go overboard with the Andy hate. It's time to move on. That doesn't mean we pretend Dalton = Finley or he's always been trash.

So you are ok with being beaten by the Steelers year after year just so your boy Andy is the QB? Andy is not the answer and nine years and a 3-13 record against the best team in the division proves it.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 10:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So you are ok with being beaten by the Steelers year after year just so your boy Andy is the QB? Andy is not the answer and nine years and a 3-13 record against the best team in the division proves it.

No I'm not okay with being owned by the Steelers every year. I just know it's not a QB-only issue that's holding us back in that department. Also, for the umpteenth time, I'd done with Andy and want Joe Burrow to be the QB in 2019. Not sure why you keep insinuating that I want him back. Shoot, I wanted him traded at the deadline.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:25 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No I'm not okay with being owned by the Steelers every year. I just know it's not a QB-only issue that's holding us back in that department. Also, for the umpteenth time, I'd done with Andy and want Joe Burrow to be the QB in 2019. Not sure why you keep insinuating that I want him back. Shoot, I wanted him traded at the deadline.

Yes. And I think people forget the narrative at this point that Marvin's antiquated system and coaching was holding the team back. Zac was going to come in with a modern style of play and make underperforming players turn into legit pros.

Now, he's destroyed them to the point of some of them playing average against a bad Steelers team looking like major progress.

We need a new QB. We need about 6-7 new starters on top of that.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 10:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So you are ok with being beaten by the Steelers year after year just so your boy Andy is the QB? Andy is not the answer and nine years and a 3-13 record against the best team in the division proves it.

Technically the Ravens are the best team in the division.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Honest question. Do you just skim over what people post, or is there a comprehension disconnect?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:38 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. And I think people forget the narrative at this point that Marvin's antiquated system and coaching was holding the team back. Zac was going to come in with a modern style of play and make underperforming players turn into legit pros.

Now, he's destroyed them to the point of some of them playing average against a bad Steelers team looking like major progress.

We need a new QB. We need about 6-7 new starters on top of that.

That's because Marvin WAS holding it back. Just because this group is struggling more, doesn't mean the other wasn't true too. He really should've been fired after 2010, and DEFINITELY after that 2015 fiasco.

Reply/Quote
Yep I'm over Finley at this point. I was definitely clamoring for him to play after we were like 0-6. He did seem like he had better pocket mobility in the preseason. Dunno if he regressed or the Oline did or both. Either way, I'm on the Burrow train as long as we fix the Oline before we put him under center.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 09:40 PM)Shak Wrote: You said "Given nine more chances how worse can Finley be?". Are you really trying to insinuate Finley is on Dalton's level? That's the hill I'm referring to. You're literally comparing some 4th round pick who just strung together 3 of the worst games we've seen at QB since Gus Frerotte, and you're comparing him to the franchise leader in passing TD's. It's ridiculous.

I can say that most people that called for the change at QB knew that the season was toast and wanted to see what we had in Finley before the draft. Some fans wanted to move on from Dalton because doing the same thing year in and year out haven't worked out. The team will probably keep him now , resign AJ, Glenn, and keep aging overpriced linemen. All will be good in Bungaldumb and some fans will rejoice until next year when they realize the more things change the more they stay the same .
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 02:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's because Marvin WAS holding it back. Just because this group is struggling more, doesn't mean the other wasn't true too. He really should've been fired after 2010, and DEFINITELY after that 2015 fiasco.

The sh@# storm would still be swirling if they fired Marvin after winning the division in 2015. Hell it's still swirling after three bad years. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 02:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Honest question. Do you just skim over what people post, or is there a comprehension disconnect?

I really already know what Dalton gangers who constantly complain are going to say so I would have to say that I usually skim over posts that are essays on the virtues of keeping AD. Been there done that .
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:41 AM)jason Wrote: Technically the Ravens are the best team in the division.

Technically the Steelers have more rings so there you go. By your logic we have owned the Ravens lately so we are the best team in the division?
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 08:54 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I can say that most people that called for the change at QB knew that the season was toast and wanted to see what we had in Finley before the draft. Some fans wanted to move on from Dalton because doing the same thing year in and year out haven't worked out. The team will probably keep him now , resign AJ, Glenn, and keep aging overpriced linemen. All will be good in Bungaldumb and some fans will rejoice until next year when they realize the more things change the more they stay the same .

Then there was you who swore Finley was an upgrade from Dalton.

And let's be frank.

That's the real source of your meltdown. Wrong again.

Claiming folks want Dalton still is Fake News as we've all pretty much moved on from him and are genuinely shocked he's starting again after we declared he'd never take another snap as a Bengal.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 09:47 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I really already know what Dalton gangers who constantly complain are going to say so I would have to say that I usually skim over posts that are essays on the virtues of keeping AD. Been there done that .

Makes sense, because you're missing a lot of the points being presented. I haven't seen one person so far who isn't ready for a change. The change we got was not ready to play for such a shit show, hence the sub 50 completion percentage. I don't put most of that on a 4th round rookie, I put most of that on this clown show management team.  I will say that better QB play wins the last two games, but again, 4th round rookie under duress with no one to stretch the defense at WR. Tough row to hoe.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 10:43 AM)jj22 Wrote: Then there was you who swore Finley was an upgrade from Dalton.

And let's be frank.

That's the real source of your meltdown. Wrong again.

Claiming folks want Dalton still is Fake News as we've all pretty much moved on from him and are genuinely shocked he's starting again after we declared he'd never take another snap as a Bengal.

I don't want to be Frank. You make up too much crap to be frank. Lets not be frank.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 08:58 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The sh@# storm would still be swirling if they fired Marvin after winning the division in 2015. Hell it's still swirling after three bad years. 

True that. I love Marvin for dragging these FO idiots into relevance kicking and screaming. His only problem was right about the time he got them there, the league changed. With the high flying offenses of the era, playing not to lose gets you beat. Had they cut bait sooner, you might have more modern LBs on the roster by now, and further along into the rebuild, or rebuilt by now. But hey, Son of Paul, right?

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 11:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: True that. I love Marvin for dragging these FO idiots into relevance kicking and screaming. His only problem was right about the time he got them there, the league changed. With the high flying offenses of the era, playing not to lose gets you beat. Had they cut bait sooner, you might have more modern LBs on the roster by now, and further along into the rebuild, or rebuilt by now. But hey, Son of Paul, right?

I've mentioned it in a couple threads and I still think about it. Where would this team be now if Mikey had done the right thing and canned Marvin after 2015 ? Should have been done before that but anyways, what was it all for ? We totally wasted 3 seasons of the then still decent core and barely tried to improve over what hadn't worked 5 years straight. 

So here we are still in hell
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 11:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've mentioned it in a couple threads and I still think about it. Where would this team be now if Mikey had done the right thing and canned Marvin after 2015 ? Should have been done before that but anyways, what was it all for ? We totally wasted 3 seasons of the then still decent core and barely tried to improve over what hadn't worked 5 years straight. 

So here we are still in hell

Exactly right. I'm skeptical of ZT and company, to say the least, but this team isn't built to play anything other than Marv-ball. Now, either the FO or the staff should've known this....but in fairness to the staff, they got a late start because of the stupid NFL rule on hiring coaches.

Marv-ball and what this staff wants to do are not very close together. That's the only reason I'm willing to give them another shot.  There is some signs of life starting to creep into the picture. I'd like to see some aggressive moves this off-season, some staff....a lot of roster. Then let's see if they can get the roster closer to what they want and see if there's more improvement. If that happens, then you settle in for the rebuild. If it's still a shit show, let's do a firing mid season and start interviewing candidates then. 

I've seen worse football, to be honest, survived the 90s, hell, I can wait another year. Shit, it isn't like Marvin was plowing through the NFL since 2015.

Reply/Quote