Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finley's "pocket awareness"
(11-27-2019, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Practically zero production from our last three first round picks.

'17 Ross, there are lots of excuses, but the fact is he has 500 yards in three seasons.
'18 Price.  To me one of the more shocking busts.  I thought that even if he was not a great player he would be a decent starter at OG or OC.  Last year he had not been working out over the off season so I gave him a pass.  He has been the single biggest disappointment to me.
'19 Williams.  I love this pick.  One of my favorite in many years.  I just pray that he won't be another injury riddled bust.

Add in Ogbuehi in '16 and that would hurt any team.  But a team like the Bengals that lives by the draft can not survive that much failure at the very top of the draft.

Ogbuehi was '15 - '16 was WJIII, so there was one decent pick in amongst that lot.

(Even that was mishandled as he should have come off IR instead of Peerman. That way we wouldn't have needed to overpay Kirkpatrick as we'd have known what we had.)
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As I have said before, I don't think it is fair to judge Finley after just three games.  He did not work with the first team untill 5 weeks ago, and he does not have the talent around him to succeed.  But I do want to point out one issue for which many people praised Finley and even claimed he was superior to Dalton.  That is "pocket awareness" and his ability to avoid sacks.

Finley does not have enough attempts to qualify, but if he did he would rank next to last (34th) in sack percentage (11.2) ahead of only Marcus Mariota.  Dalton ranks 24th (7.9).  The league average is 6.9%.

Finley is also one of only 4 QBs who have more fumbles (4) than games played (3).  Danial Jones has 14 fumbles in just 10 games;  Gardner Minshaw has 11 in 9; and Mike Glennon has 3 in 2.

Give Finley a full training camp and regular season to get used to an NFL pass rush and he will likely improve, but he certainly did not deserve all the praise he got for being able to avoid sacks or extend plays.

Just saw a little bit of pocket awareness from Finley in the PS. Dalton has a much quicker release which helps him out.

Finley doesn't have a big arm though and isn't better than Dalton, it shown even in just 3 games. We had a much better 
run game the last 3 games and he still didn't play well and turned the ball over which is inexcusable. Would rather see 
what we have in Dolegala as we already know what we have in Dalton and now it seems Finley.

Hard to see upside with a weak arm in this League.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 03:49 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Over the last 9 years?

They've won a championship in that span... Also; the past is gone. They're one of the favorites to come outta the AFC... The rest of the division is a joke.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saw a little bit of pocket awareness from Finley in the PS. Dalton has a much quicker release which helps him out.

Finley doesn't have a big arm though and isn't better than Dalton, it shown even in just 3 games. We had a much better 
run game the last 3 games and he still didn't play well and turned the ball over which is inexcusable. Would rather see 
what we have in Dolegala as we already know what we have in Dalton and now it seems Finley.

Hard to see upside with a weak arm in this League.

With a bad line, arm strength is even more important.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 07:28 PM)jason Wrote: They've won a championship in that span... Also; the past is gone. They're one of the favorites to come outta the AFC... The rest of the division is a joke.

Steelers have nine division championships since 2000 while the Ravens have five. Tell us again who is the best team in the division? 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 10:45 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Steelers have nine division championships since 2000 while the Ravens have five. Tell us again who is the best team in the division? 

Right now? The Ravens. How is this a question? Jackson will probably win MVP, and many people are predicting a SF/BAL Super Bowl.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 10:45 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Steelers have nine division championships since 2000 while the Ravens have five. Tell us again who is the best team in the division? 

I live through the windshield not the rearview...

The Ravens are a very good team, and may just win it all this year if someone can't figure out how to stop Lamar Jackson and Greg Roman's offense.

Conversely... The Steelers, Brown's, and Bengals suck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 11:08 PM)jason Wrote: I live through the windshield not the rearview...

The Ravens are a very good team, and may just win it all this year if someone can't figure out how to stop Lamar Jackson and Greg Roman's offense.

Conversely... The Steelers, Brown's, and Bengals suck.

It's a fool who thinks he can see where is going without acknowledging where he has been. SHP
Reply/Quote