Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Finley
Two games is WAY to early to write off any QB. Especially one playing behind one of the worst O-lines ever and missing top WRs.

Troy Aikman played for a HORRIBLE team his rookie year. He finished 0-11 as a starter with twice as many interceptions (18) as td passes (9) and a 55.7 passer rating.

Even a good veteran QB like Andy Dalton look bad playing for this years Bengals. So don't be to quick to give up on Finley.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two games is WAY to early to write off any QB.  Especially one playing behind one of the worst O-lines ever and missing top WRs.

Troy Aikman played for a HORRIBLE team his rookie year.  He finished 0-11 as a starter with twice as many interceptions (18) as td passes (9) and a 55.7 passer rating.

Even a good veteran QB like Andy Dalton look bad playing for this years Bengals.  So don't be to quick to give up on Finley.

I'm doubt that Finley is starter material moving forward. Ts, Fred is right on this one. 

I just puked in my mouth a little!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two games is WAY to early to write off any QB.  Especially one playing behind one of the worst O-lines ever and missing top WRs.

Troy Aikman played for a HORRIBLE team his rookie year.  He finished 0-11 as a starter with twice as many interceptions (18) as td passes (9) and a 55.7 passer rating.

Even a good veteran QB like Andy Dalton look bad playing for this years Bengals.  So don't be to quick to give up on Finley.

Finley has a porous oline no doubt. Any porous oline will cause 
A QBs mechanics to falter 
But the game was very different when Aikmen played.
A QB didn't need a rocket arm to prosper. 
Defenders at that time were nowhere as big and fast as they 
Are now.
Finley is a pure timIng and dink and dunk QB.
QB now have to extend plays and put the ball in really tight windows 
Finley just doesn't have enough juice in his arm to be considered a threat at the position 
Reply/Quote
100% premature to write Finley off. He didn't have a full offseason to prepare as the starter, is a rookie, has a terrible offensive line, and an extremely inexperienced offensive coaching staff.

This is no way trying to say that he is going to be a good starting QB or anything like that either. Its just at this moment I am completely in the dark on getting any sense on if he has actual potential or not, because of the factors above.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 02:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: 100% premature to write Finley off. He didn't have a full offseason to prepare as the starter, is a rookie, has a terrible offensive line, and an extremely inexperienced offensive coaching staff.

This is no way trying to say that he is going to be a good starting QB or anything like that either. Its just at this moment I am completely in the dark on getting any sense on if he has actual potential or not, because of the factors above.

So we need to build a loaded roster around him and have good coaches?

Let's do that...then if he's not performing...by Year 9 we'll have enough data to bench him!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 01:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we will need to sign a VET this offseason as a bridge QB. Not sure if Finley will even be an option to start next season if they choose to not start the new rookie QB.

Why?
If we draft one, then Dalton is the perfect starter for the season so the rookie can sit early and learn.
Then we can trade him before the deadline if need be to a desperate team.
Reply/Quote
I'm not ready to right the kid off yet. He has 2 games under his belt with an inexperienced coaching staff. The kid has been able to extend some plays. Even the final INT yesterday he extended the play and took a shot. It was just a hell of a play by the DB.

In a related note. Jeff Driskell accounted for 3 TDs and a passer rating of over 109 this weekend against a tough Dallas team.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 01:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we will need to sign a VET this offseason as a bridge QB. Not sure if Finley will even be an option to start next season if they choose to not start the new rookie QB.

1st round rookie QBs don't sit on the bench.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Finley's big issue is his arm is extremely limited. He's good within 15 yards. Anything beyond that, he greatly struggles with.
https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1196246462885224450

If a QB like Finley is expected to run this offense, they better start game-planning a lot more short passes and find more ways to get creative.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

If they went this route, what about signing Bridgewater? Give him a true shot to be the future franchise QB. He may be willing to come to Cincinnati given he played at Louisville.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Finley's big issue is his arm is extremely limited. He's good within 15 yards. Anything beyond that, he greatly struggles with.
https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1196246462885224450

If a QB like Finley is expected to run this offense, they better start game-planning a lot more short passes and find more ways to get creative.

Fear not. We'll link him up with Tom House in the off season

Reply/Quote
Findlay, Dalton, Brady or Brees will not matter until we invest in the line. This line will only kill a young QB. It will make him gun shy. Look what it did to a 9 year vet. Fix it or we will have David Carr 2.0.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 03:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If they went this route, what about signing Bridgewater? Give him a true shot to be the future franchise QB. He may be willing to come to Cincinnati given he played at Louisville.

I'd love for Bridgewater to come to Cincy. It would mean the Louisville market would show more Bengal games. Baltimore has now become the Louisville "home market" team. 

Reply/Quote
Yeah I agree with a lot of people so far. Tbh Finley hasn't looked good but what help is he getting? Tom Brady would've retired after Week 1 of playing in this offense. Finley has little chance of succeeding with the lack of talent there is around him. I don't think he's the guy moving forward either but I don't think these two games prove anything other than it looking somewhat likely we'll go 0-16 if we stick with Finley the rest of the way.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 02:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 1st round rookie QBs don't sit on the bench.

Some do.

Mahomes sat a full season, lots of others have not started until the middle of their rookie seasons.(Haskins, Jackson, Goff
Reply/Quote
If anyone can't see Finley simply does not have the arm strength to be a starter in the NFL then I don't know what to tell you. It's painfully obvious.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 02:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 1st round rookie QBs don't sit on the bench.

Carson Palmer *waves* at you from the bench for the entirety of the 2003 season.
Reply/Quote

I agree, but he is only missing one top WR, not WRs. Boyd is out there, but teams are taking that option away and forcing the Bengals to rely on lessor guys. Green is the only consistent performer at WR who's not there.

Reply/Quote
Ryanfinley is whom I, and everyone else, thought he was. An over-drafted league-average backup QB. Nothing more.

Why these assholes thought it was necessary to trade up to get him still mystifies me.

But, it's good we're playing him, so we have no doubt what kind of Ryanfinley we have.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 03:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I agree, but he is only missing one top WR, not WRs. Boyd is out there, but teams are taking that option away and forcing the Bengals to rely on lessor guys. Green is the only consistent performer at WR who's not there.

Argue it if you want, but Ross is considered a top WR, as he was a starter until he got hurt.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote