Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First preseason game overreaction thread
Post your overreactions here:

I'll start. If the players didn't have numbers I would have had no clue who Myles Murphy was out there. He made close to 0 impact and didn't pop off the screen the way you would expect a physical freak athletically to. I had hopes of him being a contributor in pass rush situations this season but seeing him get stonewalled by backup OL all night has tempered that expectation. By no means have I declared him a bust but after that first impression I don't see him cracking the 2 deep on the DL this season.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Well, your title says it all. Overreaction, it’s pre season lol lucky if these guys are going at 50%.
Reply/Quote
Our backup QBs suck. But we all knew that and the team lives and dies with Burrow. So having said that I think that is the bulk of us looking bad.
All you want is players to flash. Which I think most of the players we would've wanted to show something did. Iosavis made a couple plays, Dax made a nice play on the ball, Battle made some plays, Tycen who played really smart last year in the preseason with his leverage obviously really flashed. Chase brown showed some quickness. Jay tufele flashed which is a guy I think we will need. The oline appeared to have decent protection at times but for me that will really have to come down to someone who has access to the tape to breakdown. Carman looked inconsistent to me but again someone will need to watch his tape. Murphy didn't really standout to me but everything from his scouting report to news from camp that he needs to work on his pass rush but is a good run defender that was expected. So I'll be looking forward to breakdowns of him to see what positives and negatives he had. The punter flashed at times and also was seamless in the field goal operation.

So overall my overreaction is that I'm pleased with how the game went.
Reply/Quote
That’s not an overreaction. For 1 game, his first game, and against 2nd and 3rd string GB players, Murphy didn’t do crap. It was disappointing to see.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:05 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That’s not an overreaction. For 1 game, his first game, and against 2nd and 3rd string GB players, Murphy didn’t do crap. It was disappointing to see.

We'll it's not what I want for a 1st Rd pick but he was a project to some extent. If there is a position on the team we can afford a project it's DE. Also I saw it mentioned on Twitter last night that he was doubled or chipped on several plays and they didn't run anything special to help the guys out. I just think we should wait and see what the breakdowns show.
Reply/Quote
OK, I'll play.

1. Murphy did absolutely nothing. Seriously, at 170 lbs. I could have done what he did, which was nothing.

2. Carman is just about worthless. Every once in a while he leans into someone and gets movement on a running play. He is horribly inconsistent as a pass blocker.

3. The entire OL was barely mediocre, which made it hard on our backup QB's. But can we trade Siemian and Browning for Sean Clifford?
Reply/Quote
Bengals are doomed if Zac Taylor refuses to open up the playbook... I know it's preseason but come on man!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I can't believe the Bengals would draft such short wide Receivers... if they were a couple inches taller those interceptions would of been 30 yard gains?! Whatever it takes to make our back up QB's look bad....
Reply/Quote
Miles Murphy can't get to the QB going through 2 or 3 people? What are they feeding him.... can't believe we wasted our first round pick on this guy.
Reply/Quote
Dax Hill has to get 2 hands on that ball that was a pick!

If we paid Jessie Bates 64 million dollars it would of been a pick 6 to the house!!!!
Reply/Quote
Obviouosly backup QB is a major weakness.

I like our safety depth and we have a lot of good young players in the secondary that will continue to develop.

Murphy will develop in my opinion. I'm not worried about him. We've got Ossai that can rush the passer and anyone else that steps up on the edge off the bench is a bonus. He's solid against the run and shouldn't get caught out of position. From there he has time to develop as a rusher.

I like the depth on defense overall.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bring in Elliot if only for his pass pro. We are still a pass heavy team and pass blocking more so then running is a priority for the rb2 spot.

This should have made Perine a priority to keep. Even if it meant losing Mixon.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:22 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Bengals are doomed if Zac Taylor refuses to open up the playbook... I know it's preseason but come on man!

Now what would be the benefit of that in preseason?  To try to win a game that means absolutely nothing.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:59 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bring in Elliot if only for his pass pro. We are still a pass heavy team and pass blocking more so then running is a priority for the rb2 spot.

This should have made Perine a priority to keep. Even if it meant losing Mixon.

It's an interesting idea. I don't think they do it because they probably want someone that's more of a receiving threat as well as a pass blocker. Although I think Zeke is probably better than he was given because a lot of his targets are terrible at least the bulk of the ones I saw. Still I would personally be all for it.
Reply/Quote
Sure it's only first preseason game but it's still losing. Losing sets a negative tone. Packers looked prepared, Bengals looked confused. If our 1st team has injuries they will be in trouble. GB played their 2nd and 3rd stringers too and they man-handled our guys most of the night. After Clifford threw 2 INT I thought he was wrecked, but no, he leads several scoring drives right down the field.

I sure hope Marissa does more player interviews on sidelines as they are getting trounced on the field. And a nice touch was the shots of Bengals players snickering and giggling when it was 30-19.
Reply/Quote
Murphy was extremely disappointing. I legitimately had no idea he was playing.

I know, one pre-season game. But this is an over-reaction thread, and that’s my over-reaction.

Siemian and Browning are both land cows and should not be on NFL rosters, but that’s just truth.

Obviously Burrow going down for any length of time would kill us, but we should have a capable backup that can suitably run the offense if Joe gets hurt for 2-4 weeks. Cincinnati cannot win a football game with either of those guys.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:35 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Sure it's only first preseason game but it's still losing. Losing sets a negative tone. Packers looked prepared, Bengals looked confused. If our 1st team has injuries they will be in trouble. GB played their 2nd and 3rd stringers too and they man-handled our guys most of the night. After Clifford threw 2 INT I thought he was wrecked, but no, he leads several scoring drives right down the field.

I sure hope Marissa does more player interviews on sidelines as they are getting trounced on the field. And a nice touch was the shots of Bengals players snickering and giggling when it was 30-19.

Meh.  I'm getting used to the fact that the Taylor staff doesn't exactly view the preseason like old school coaches once did.  He's not going to put a ton of miles on these players when it's not for keeps.  

I used to oppose this way of conducting offseason work, but it's hard to argue with the results.  

Add the fact that the Bengals now have a roster that's been together in it's current state for almost 3 seasons plus 2 deep playoff runs and I think I can cut them a bit of slack at this point.
Reply/Quote
Yoshi will end camp WR4.

Jones to IR and Lassiter in.

Big 3
Jones
T.I
Lassiter

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
All things considered, I agree about the quarterbacks. These guys suck. I wish they would have spent a 2nd or 3rd day pick on a backup. They need a younger, controllable guy that's got a bit more to offer than never-will-bes like Simien and Allen.

There's a ton on the line this year. We very likely will see more players from the SB team depart after this season. We may get to a point soon where the roster has several actual deficiencies in multiple position groups. Having a guy that can eek out a win under center should Joey B miss time is critical.

This team is not built to run, especially vs the defenses in this division. It will be very tough to lean on the ground game in a Burrow-less game or two. They need a guy who can take the embarrassment of weapons this team has and prevent an injury to our best player from becoming a total season-killer. The guys here now are not those kinds of players.

One positive take here is that the lack of urgency to replace these guys immediately. I kind of wish they would, but my takeaway form it is that Burrow is expected to be just fine sooner rather than later.
Reply/Quote
Both backup QBs were embarrassing. They had time to throw but the ball was almost never on target even on shorter passes. This in turn made the receivers lives a lot harder. They also had little pocket presence which made the job of the OL harder. With even average level backup QB play we score two TDs at least.
Reply/Quote