Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Florida Schools to Tell Kids Slavery Benefited Black People
(07-20-2023, 05:46 PM)Stewy Wrote: DeSantis is disgusting.

Luckily he has no charisma and has no chance to be President.

agreed, at first I thought good! maybe we can get a decent candidate running on GOP side , move on from the orange doom and gloom and have real debates that arent out of Jerry Springer era. He has ZERO charisma and his voice is annoying as well. 
DeSantis is trying so hard to cater to MAGA to get support that he now will be just another moron that everyone will forget in a yr. 
Chris Christie is the only one so far that has the correct strategy.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 10:31 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: It’s gonna take a big pair of pliers to get the hook you swallowed dislodged from your throat.

Oh I just assumed you actually believed what you wrote since there was no " Ninja"

Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 10:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oh I just assumed you actually believed what you wrote since there was no " Ninja"

Cool

Na, it wasn’t me who tossed the baited hook out there.
Reply/Quote
https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-black-history-academic-shreds-harris-categorically-false-claims-unaired-abc-news-interview
"The former chairman of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights and Florida’s African American History Standards Workgroup member, Dr. William Allen, told ABC News Harris completely mischaracterized the curriculum with a "categorically false" assessment."

However, the network didn't air those comments on Saturday's "ABC World News Tonight." Only a small segment from Allen's interview aired, when he defended the controversial line

Liberal Fake News ABC once again protecting Kamala Harris who lied and her liberal followers fell for it...........again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 11:47 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-black-history-academic-shreds-harris-categorically-false-claims-unaired-abc-news-interview
"The former chairman of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights and Florida’s African American History Standards Workgroup member, Dr. William Allen, told ABC News Harris completely mischaracterized the curriculum with a "categorically false" assessment."

However, the network didn't air those comments on Saturday's "ABC World News Tonight." Only a small segment from Allen's interview aired, when he defended the controversial line

Liberal Fake News ABC once again protecting Kamala Harris who lied and her liberal followers fell for it...........again.

Hey at least they learned how to sew. Whatever

https://npg.si.edu/learn/classroom-resource/gordon-lifedates-unknown

[Image: teacher_resources_gordon.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Another thing about this topic is how easily so many fall into the "white man saved the black man from being a savage".  

Quote:They learned to read! And skills!  

They might still be wearing loincloths and worshiping a "false" god if we hadn't brought them here!!!

Just like the Natives, and every place else whites went to colonize and spread the "good word".
Very interesting.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 12:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Another thing about this topic is how easily so many fall into the "white man saved the black man from being a savage".  

Just like the Natives, and every place else whites went to colonize and spread the "good word".
Very interesting.

which is why in those infamous educational standards you will not find a discussion of Florida's articles of succession which defend slavery and no discussion of Jim Crow and segregation.  They basically skip from Reconstruction to the Civil Rights movement. Which of course leaves context out of the subject entirely

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 12:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Another thing about this topic is how easily so many fall into the "white man saved the black man from being a savage".  

Very interesting.

The hypocrisy of using two separate cultures with a vast history of conquering and enslaving neighboring and rival tribes while attempting to vilify a third for the same is sort of ironic.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The hypocrisy of using two separate cultures with a vast history of conquering and enslaving neighboring and rival tribes while attempting to vilify a third for the same is sort of ironic.

It's almost like people can say all slavery is bad...even if white people do it...and some people can't because THEIR slaves benefitted from being somewhere else.

I mean I saw in the curriculum that that WILL teach about OTHER countries that had slavery.  Just not sure if they will defend it quite the way they will the US.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Because that is how you are choosing to read it.  As to "was slavery beneficial for the slaves?", to answer that one, one has to ponder weather their modern day descendants are better off in America where they have the opportunity to prosper, or if they would have been better off back in Africa with their native tribes.  Don't forget, English people didn't invade Africa and capture slaves, they were conquered by domineering tribes and sold to the highest bidders.

Even if you accept your post at face value, you still have to ask what overarching point is being served by making this argument? Seems pretty hard to interpret in any other way than an attempt to downplay the severity of the trans-atlantic slave trade. It was industrialized on a level the world had never seen prior to or since. Also chattel slavery was not the norm as far the enslavement goes between tribes and early civilizations. It was a unique in both its scale and barbarism. 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 03:04 PM)treee Wrote: Even if you accept your post at face value, you still have to ask what overarching point is being served by making this argument? Seems pretty hard to interpret in any other way than an attempt to downplay the severity of the trans-atlantic slave trade. It was industrialized on a level the world had never seen prior to or since. Also chattel slavery was not the norm as far the enslavement goes between tribes and early civilizations. It was a unique in both its scale and barbarism. 

Or you can listen to the author's own interpretation. I find it hilarious the same Democrats who fought tooth and nail to keep slavery going are now acting like they had anything to do with ending slavery. It is amusing watching those who are not informed.

I will help. The Republicans under Lincoln freed the slaves with democratic opposition.

"President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, as the nation approached its third year of bloody civil war. The proclamation declared "that all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free."

So please give us a break on Democratic policy on slavery.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 05:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Or you can listen to the author's own interpretation. I find it hilarious the same Democrats who fought tooth and nail to keep slavery going are now acting like they had anything to do with ending slavery. It is amusing watching those who are not informed.

I will help. The Republicans under Lincoln freed the slaves with democratic opposition.

"President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, as the nation approached its third year of bloody civil war. The proclamation declared "that all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free."

LIBERALS under Lincoln freed the slaves with conservative opposition

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 05:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Or you can listen to the author's own interpretation. I find it hilarious the same Democrats who fought tooth and nail to keep slavery going are now acting like they had anything to do with ending slavery. It is amusing watching those who are not informed.

What does this even have to do with my post? Also, trying to characterize the policy and platform of the parties today by their characteristics nearly two centuries ago isn't useful at all. It just makes you look hyper-partisan.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 05:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So please give us a break on Democratic policy on slavery.

I'll give you 5 bucks to walk down the dirt road I live on and tell everyone with a confederate flag outside of their houses and/or trailers that they are clearly hardcore democrats.  Don't worry, I'm sure they aren't armed and pissed off...they're spineless liberals, after all.

Somewhat on topic, you have to hand it to Americans for shutting up about how awesome freedom is long enough to also remind us that being chained and enslaved has it's share of upside, too.
Reply/Quote

But I am *sure* Watters and Gutfeld have a better understanding.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's almost like people can say all slavery is bad...even if white people do it...and some people can't because THEIR slaves benefitted from being somewhere else.

I mean I saw in the curriculum that that WILL teach about OTHER countries that had slavery.  Just not sure if they will defend it quite the way they will the US.

Slavery...the one time Americans won't brag about how white folks did it best.  Tsk tsk.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, the whole slavery thing gets demonized.

I mean, if it weren't for the woke folk, we'd know about all of the white people of the era that actually volunteered to be slaves. They were so jealous of all of the awesome benefits that black slaves were receiving that they had to get in on the sweet nectar of servitude for themselves.

Up next in MAGA history: "The Holocaust: the best thing that ever happened to the Jewish people". I mean, they got Israel out of it, right.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 05:33 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, the whole slavery thing gets demonized.  

I mean, if it weren't for the woke folk, we'd know about all of the white people of the era that actually volunteered to be slaves.  They were so jealous of all of the awesome benefits that black slaves were receiving that they had to get in on the sweet nectar of servitude for themselves.

Up next in MAGA history: "The Holocaust: the best thing  that ever happened to the Jewish people".  I mean, they got Israel out of it, right.

I do think it's fair to wonder how many people would be as comfortable applying the same statement to Nazi concentration camps:

"Jews developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit."

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 06:34 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I do think it's fair to wonder how many people would be as comfortable applying the same statement to Nazi concentration camps:

"Jews developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit."

I think you might be surprised (or not) to find out how many people would be plenty comfortable saying something in that vein.  

It's a challenge to paint the act of forcing humans to work for free under threat of violence or all out murder as benevolent, but people are pretty determined.  They will attempt to overcome and sometimes even succeed.  After all, the modern stupidity of Qanon stems directly from the anti-semitic blood libel playbook ie accusing Jews of preying on kids to drum up widespread opposition to a relatively small group of individuals.

If you follow the MAGA playbook, the simple way is to call anyone who disagrees with you a pedophile or groomer, then act accordingly.  
Reply/Quote
The arguments for the okayness of slavery should beget other re-visits of what we consider egregious cultural acts.

If a dude beats the shit out of his wife every time she cooks a dinner he finds unsatisfactory, it's maybe not so bad if she comes out of it with enhanced cooking skills.

If a parent abuses their children, then the children subsequently become successful to escape the abuse, then obviously the abuse couldn't be that bad, right?

We seriously have the right trotting out completely unintended consequences as justifications for selling humans like livestock.

You say nonwhites owned slaves? No shit? Like other races of people also like free labor when seeking profits? Wow, I never would have imagined.

These findings should beget a real cultural renaissance.
Reply/Quote