Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida sixth-grader charged with misdemeanor after refusing to recite Pledge
(02-18-2019, 01:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Why do far left types seem unable to avoid race baiting? 

Why do far right types want to ignore racism?

But to answer you question more directly your "bff" wanted to make sure he got a dig in at people who don't like MAGA hats so I responded in kind.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-18-2019, 02:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why do far right types want to ignore racism?

How could anyone ignore something you can't stop mentioning?

Quote:But to answer you question more directly your "bff" wanted to make sure he got a dig in at people who don't like MAGA hats so I responded in kind.

It's rather obvious that he's mocking the rush to judgment by many against the Covington kids because of their hats.  This was demonstrably done and should be mocked.  It has nothing to do with anyone "disliking the hats".  This type of confusion does explain a lot of your posts.
(02-18-2019, 02:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: How could anyone ignore something you can't stop mentioning?

Dunno. Seems a lot on the right think racism died when Obama was elected AND he was the most racist POTUS ever.

Ask them.

(02-18-2019, 02:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's rather obvious that he's mocking the rush to judgment by many against the Covington kids because of their hats.  This was demonstrably done and should be mocked.  It has nothing to do with anyone "disliking the hats".  This type of confusion does explain a lot of your posts.

Indeed. I said that. Thanks.

Just as all the "blacks shouldn't wear hoodies" after the Trayvon Martin murder should be mocked....and was in my response.

This type of confusion does explain a lot of your posts.
Mellow
(02-18-2019, 02:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: Dunno.  Seems a lot on the right think racism died when Obama was elected AND he was the most racist POTUS ever.

Ask them.

I've literally never heard anyone say this, ever.  The former part, I have heard a few people make the absurd, latter, point.

Quote:Indeed.  I said that.  Thanks.

Then your confusion is even more... confusing.

Quote:Just as all the "blacks shouldn't wear hoodies" after the Trayvon Martin murder should be mocked....and was in my response.

I've literally never heard anyone say this, ever.  Since you made the claim perhaps you could cite an example or two?

Quote:This type of confusion does explain a lot of your posts.
Mellow

Dear god, I know you're not good at this but to fall back on "I know you are but what am I?" so quickly.  This is an off day even for you.
(02-18-2019, 01:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Insanely misleading thread title.

First, the teacher should have just ignored the kid.  Second the kid should have left the room when instructed to.  You can always tell a kid who's had little to no structure and consequences in the home because the minute the get either they lose their mind.  It's why teachers have so many problems with kids like this, if the kid has no rules at home then the first person in their entire life trying to get them to abide by any is the teacher.  As a kid you think, "who is this person to tell me what to do", when you grow up without any rules at home.

I don't know enough about the situation to make such abroad generalization.

He was not disobeying rules just because he wanted to do something for himself.  If he had refused to put down his phone or stop talking to his friends in class then I would agree with you.  But instead he is disobeying a rule that he thinks is improper in order to make a social statement.

Both Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr. accomplished quite a bit by not following some rules.  I'd have to know a lot more about this kid before I just blindly accuse him of being out of control or to blame his parents for it.
(02-18-2019, 02:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know enough about the situation to make such abroad generalization.

He was not disobeying rules just because he wanted to do something for himself.  If he had refused to put down his phone or stop talking to his friends in class then I would agree with you.  But instead he is disobeying a rule that he thinks is improper in order to make a social statement.

Both Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr. accomplished quite a bit by not following some rules.  I'd have to know a lot more about this kid before I just blindly accuse him of being out of control or to blame his parents for it.

I'm not speaking about his refusal to stand for the pledge, I'm referring to his subsequent behavior.  You mentioned it yourself when you stated he needed to learn civil disobedience.  

(02-18-2019, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bad decisions on both sides.

Nothing wrong with refusing to say the pledge, but the teacher was stupid and so was the student if he really did respond by becoming violent or disruptive.  He needs to learn CIVIL disobedience.

You agreed with my point until I made it.   Whatever
(02-18-2019, 02:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've literally never heard anyone say this, ever.  The former part, I have heard a few people make the absurd, latter, point.

It's a trope that is/was used by the right.  I've talked about it before (yet you forgot...hmmmm) and used the related topic of the first female PM in Australia as an example of how a country can say "See!?!?  We're not (fill in the blank)!  We did this thing once!"  I never saw the island of Hawaii in person but I've seen pictures and know people who have been there so I can't say it's not real so you'll just have to take my word for it.

(02-18-2019, 02:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Then your confusion is even more... confusing.

You were confused by my post when you said the same thing I did.  

(02-18-2019, 02:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've literally never heard anyone say this, ever.  Since you made the claim perhaps you could cite an example or two?

https://youtu.be/2Yyqkcc-a8U

https://blackamericaweb.com/2019/01/07/tennessee-judge-says-black-men-wearing-black-hoodies-are-more-dangerous-than-kkk/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2013/09/16/fox-newss-bill-oreilly-blames-trayvon-martins-death-on-hoodie/

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2012/03/trayvon-martin-killing-when-did-hoods-become-associated-with-illicit-activity.html

ThumbsUp

(02-18-2019, 02:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dear god, I know you're not good at this but to fall back on "I know you are but what am I?" so quickly.  This is an off day even for you.

Yeah, I forget sometimes that irony and sarcasm (sometimes both) are lost on some people.  Don't take it so seriously.   Smirk
A sixth grader on his own doesn't decide that the pledge or the flag is racist. He is parroting something he heard, likely at home. The pledge itself and the flag are not racist, neither is what they stand for. There are racist people in America, but the pledge and the flag don't stand for that being acceptable.
(02-18-2019, 02:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You agreed with my point until I made it.   Whatever

I never agreed with your point that he "lost his mind" the minute he was asked to follow any structure because his parents failed him at home.

Instead I think he needs to adjust his means of protest.
(02-18-2019, 03:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's a trope that is/was used by the right.  I've talked about it before (yet you forgot...hmmmm) and used the related topic of the first female PM in Australia as an example of how a country can say "See!?!?  We're not (fill in the blank)!  We did this thing once!"  I never saw the island of Hawaii in person but I've seen pictures and know people who have been there so I can't say it's not real so you'll just have to take my word for it.

No thanks.

Quote:You were confused by my post when you said the same thing I did.  

It certainly wasn't in the post I responded to.

Quote:https://youtu.be/2Yyqkcc-a8U

https://blackamericaweb.com/2019/01/07/tennessee-judge-says-black-men-wearing-black-hoodies-are-more-dangerous-than-kkk/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2013/09/16/fox-newss-bill-oreilly-blames-trayvon-martins-death-on-hoodie/

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2012/03/trayvon-martin-killing-when-did-hoods-become-associated-with-illicit-activity.html

ThumbsUp

As usual with you, you have to give your "sources" some scrutiny.  None of those say that "blacks shouldn't wear hoodies" (your exact wording).  They say that his attire contributed to his being viewed as a potential criminal.  This is not the same thing, at all.  

Quote:Yeah, I forget sometimes that irony and sarcasm (sometimes both) are lost on some people.  Don't take it so seriously.   Smirk

It would be difficult to take anything you post seriously, so this won't exactly cause me to exert much, if any, effort.
(02-18-2019, 03:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never agreed with your point that he "lost his mind" the minute he was asked to follow any structure because his parents failed him at home.

Instead I think he needs to adjust his means of protest.

Yeah, as usual, I think we're done here.
(02-18-2019, 03:01 PM)Beaker Wrote: The pledge itself and the flag are not racist, neither is what they stand for. 

If he believes the line from the pledge "justice for all" is a lie then he should not be forced to say it.

In fact I believe that our flag stands for "freedom" which is the exact opposite of being FORCED to pledge allegiance.
This thread and the linked news story should have been titled correctly:

"Florida sixth grader charged with misdemeanor after becoming disruptive and making threats in class"

Just something else that give the "fake news" crowd more ammunition. Folks on both sides should call it out for what it is.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-18-2019, 03:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No thanks.

It certainly wasn't in the post I responded to.

As usual with you, you have to give your "sources" some scrutiny.  None of those say that "blacks shouldn't wear hoodies" (your exact wording).  They say that his attire contributed to his being viewed as a potential criminal.  This is not the same thing, at all.  

It would be difficult to take anything you post seriously, so this won't exactly cause me to exert much, if any, effort.

Pardon me.  Saying wearing a hoodie contributed to his being viewed as a criminal isn't "exact wording" to blacks shouldn't wear hoodies.  I don't know how anyone could get that confused.  Yawn

My deepest apologies to offending your sense of "exact wording".  Hilarious

What a waste of time showing you what you say you never heard of only to have you nitpick the "exact wording" so you can still pretend you are right.

Shoo...
(02-18-2019, 03:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This thread and the linked news story should have been titled correctly:

"Florida sixth grader charged with misdemeanor after becoming disruptive and making threats in class"

Just something else that give the "fake news" crowd more ammunition. Folks on both sides should call it out for what it is.

Or 11 year old arrested after teacher escalates situation and then calls cops because student wouldn't agree to move rather than say the Pledge?
(02-18-2019, 03:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he believes the line from the pledge "justice for all" is a lie then he should not be forced to say it.

In fact I believe that our flag stands for "freedom" which is the exact opposite of being FORCED to pledge allegiance.

Bingo.

We should not force allegiance.  

And teachers/adults should know that.

Like I said in the OP (before we got off on hats and hoodies and "fake news") this was a  teachable moment that was missed because the adult in the room didn't know how to handle it.
(02-18-2019, 03:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Pardon me.  Saying wearing a hoodie contributed to his being viewed as a criminal isn't "exact wording" to blacks shouldn't wear hoodies.  I don't know how anyone could get that confused.  Yawn

My deepest apologies to offending your sense of "exact wording".  Hilarious

What a waste of time showing you what you say you never heard of only to have you nitpick the "exact wording" so you can still pretend you are right.

Shoo...

Perhaps because it's exactly what you said in post #23.

Nobody with any sanity think Martin was shot for wearing a hoodie; it's just something some folks used as a symbol. Now those same sane folks can understand the the Covington kid was condemned simply for the headgear he chose. 

(02-18-2019, 03:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Or 11 year old arrested after teacher escalates situation and then calls cops because student wouldn't agree to move rather than say the Pledge?

Meh, I guess we'll have to look at the actual affidavit to determine the reason for the arrest. But where's the fun in that. 

(02-18-2019, 03:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This thread and the linked news story should have been titled correctly:

Did you even read the headline of the story?  It does not say he was arrested for not reciting the pledge.  It said he was arrested after a dispute with his teacher over the pledge.  What part of that is fake?  What is the point of news if they don't give the full context and explain the details.

You agreed that the teacher was in the wrong yet you want to hide that fact?  Thousands of kids get suspended and even arrested at schoo; every day.  The only reason this story was newsworthy was the context.
(02-18-2019, 03:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Did you even read the headline of the story?  It does not say he was arrested for not reciting the pledge.  It said he was arrested after a dispute with his teacher over the pledge.  What part of that is fake?  What is the point of news if they don't give the full context and explain the details.

You agreed that the teacher was in the wrong yet you want to hide that fact?  Thousands of kids get suspended and even arrested at schoo; every day.  The only reason this story was newsworthy was the context.

No doubt; I should have said title.........Hey wait a minute.

That teacher was every bit as wrong as Phillips was in DC; don't you agre?