Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Football Life - Carson Palmer
Things have gotten better since 10 but we still have a long way to go.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Hey, there may be a bigger quitter than CP9. Vontae Davis retired at halftime.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 11:12 PM)KansasBengal Wrote: Basically that MB made him promises to invest in the team but wouldn’t. That they argued about getting a GM and things to modernize the franchise. Had cap space and wouldn’t spend it to fill holes. All the stuff we complain about here all the time. Seemed like his patience ran out and that’s why he “retired”

Pickens, Chad, Dillon etc complained about the same things and they were called cancer. 

Palmer does it and he's a hero. I don't get it. They should ALL be praised for standing up to Mike. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Marvin has hinted at quitting a couple of times now....really reached a fever pitch last season. Now we know why. Mike Brown is a ***** idiot.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
After watching this, I am personally relieved to actually know what went down, and I think the fact that no one REALLY knew the reason (though it seemed obvious) speaks to how classy Palmer actually is. He could've verbally burned Cincy to the ground and was given every opportunity to and chose the "no comment" route. While that was incredibly frustrating at the time, I think A Football Life finally gives us actual insight into CP9. He let people think what they wanted, which of course was negative towards him. I cannot personally say I'd have taken that route. The Cardinals management and players even talked about not knowing the player they were getting, and how incredibly surprised they were upon his arrival that all assumptions (being quitter, diva, crybaby, etc) were dead wrong.

Also, had he stayed when we drafted AJ Green, can you imagine that connection? Not to be confused with this becoming a Dalton bash, as I like Dalton, but CP9 threw the long ball better than anyone in my opinion. Just fun to think about, though I have to be glad for how things went down, as I think the Bengals culture as an organization is properly turning around, albeit a slower crawl than any of us would prefer.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 01:21 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pickens, Chad, Dillon etc complained about the same things and they were called cancer. 

Palmer does it and he's a hero. I don't get it. They should ALL be praised for standing up to Mike. 

Exactly.

How Brown ran this team was disgraceful. And I will say again, any positive changes that have occurred have been like pulling teeth. And yet he claims he really wants to win a SB! The guy is a joke as an NFL owner. This will sound bad, but I actually hope he passes away or is long gone from day-to day before we win one. I just dont want him to get any credit at all. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 06:49 PM)McC Wrote: Put a hundred people in a room.  How many of those people will be assholes?  Probably more than a few.  Does that make everyone in the room an asshole?  One guy in the room makes a mess.  Does that make everyone in the room a slob?

It wasn't just a few.  For example when he hit 20K passing yards the booing in the stadium was louder than the cheering.

But, on the other hand, if Dalton had so many problems with Mike Brown he should have left in free agency instead of taking a big long term contract and quitting before he played it out.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 01:21 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pickens, Chad, Dillon etc complained about the same things and they were called cancer. 

Chad, er, I mean Ochocinco, was the worst of them all.  He quit on the team but still showed up to collect his paycheck.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 11:23 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Exactly.

How Brown ran this team was disgraceful. And I will say again, any positive changes that have occurred have been like pulling teeth. And yet he claims he really wants to win a SB! The guy is a joke as an NFL owner. This will sound bad, but I actually hope he passes away or is long gone from day-to day before we win one. I just dont want him to get any credit at all. 

We have the most stubborn owner in any pro sport. 

10 years of Bratkowski
24? years of Paul Alexander
16 years of Jim Mora Marvin Lewis 
Infinite years without a dedicated practice facility
Infinite years without a real GM
etc etc

Some teams make changes too quickly, but we are on the polar opposite of that spectrum.

(09-17-2018, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Chad, er, I mean Ochocinco, was the worst of them all.  He quit on the team but still showed up to collect his paycheck.

He was injured and lost his QB. It wasn't lack of effort. Just stop.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He was injured and lost his QB. It wasn't lack of effort. Just stop.

He admitted that he did not work out in the offseason before the '08 season when he went on his crying jag.  Then he delayed having surgery on his foot/ankle until late in the summer so he could get out of training camp.

What made Chad great was the way he worked so hard when he was young.  Remember the stories of him sleeping at the stadium?  But after the '07 season he flat out quit on the team and he admitted it.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He admitted that he did not work out in the offseason before the '08 season when he went on his crying jag.  Then he delayed having surgery on his foot/ankle until late in the summer so he could get out of training camp.

What made Chad great was the way he worked so hard when he was young.  Remember the stories of him sleeping at the stadium?  But after the '07 season he flat out quit on the team and he admitted it.

He didn't work out because he was holding out for a trade. Link for "getting out of training camp" being why he delayed surgery?

Btw, if he was never good after the '07 season, how did he make the Pro Bowl in '09? Did he go back to trying?
Reply/Quote
Back to the main topic, seeing this actually made me miss CP. We all cheered for that guy to end on a happy note - at least with the Bengals, and maybe even with the Cardinals. Gotta admit I got a little misty eyed when the Cardinals GM was talking about CP apologizing on his way out.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, if he was never good after the '07 season, how did he make the Pro Bowl in '09? Did he go back to trying?

Even his '09 season was lame compared to what he was doing up through '07

'03-'07....averaged 92 receptions, 1374 yds 

'09...72 receptions for 1047 yds
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He admitted that he did not work out in the offseason before the '08 season when he went on his crying jag.  Then he delayed having surgery on his foot/ankle until late in the summer so he could get out of training camp.

Was that the same training camp where he tore his labrum diving for a poorly thrown ball and played through it all season?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Once I loved Carson but have so little respect for him now, will not ever watch that show.

He hated Ohio as much as he hated the owner and nobody forced to sign a new contract.

If somebody is unhappy in the NFL ? When they become a FA is the time to leave.

He not only tried to hurt MB, he tried to hurt his teammates and fans as well and had no remorse about it.

Other than poor oh pitiful Carson was so mistreated that they only paid him in excess of $100 million.

Believe they signed TO the year before he left, seems like they were trying to get him help.

He was about finished then anyway and did us a favor in hindsight.

Wonder why Dalton, Geno, and AJ do not cry all that crap.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even his '09 season was lame compared to what he was doing up through '07

'03-'07....averaged 92 receptions, 1374 yds 

'09...72 receptions for 1047 yds

Could that have anything to do with the offense?

'03-'07....we averaged 538 pass attempts for 3849 yards

'09...477 pass attempts for 3134 yards

------------

We were a run first team, Fred. That Chad was able to account for 33.4% of our pass yards and 42.9% of our pass TDs and still make the Pro Bowl in a rush first offense should only be more of a testament to his skills.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 10:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did you see the part of the show where they talked about Palmer being voted one of the most hated players in the NFL? That wasn’t all angry Buckeyes fans. Palmer will always be remembered as a polarizing player.

Who voted in that poll? Was it players? Coaches? Media? Or maybe it just local Cincinnati media? Or local Cincinnati fans? 

I hate these kinds of polls. I don't trust them at all, never have  Whatever

I get the feeling the vast majority of players and coaches respect Carson and the vast majority of fans throughout the country have no opinion of Carson. I think the amount of people who say he's "hated" are very few. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 01:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Could that have anything to do with the offense?

'03-'07....we averaged 538 pass attempts for 3849 yards

'09...477 pass attempts for 3134 yards

------------

We were a run first team, Fred. That Chad was able to account for 33.4% of our pass yards and 42.9% of our pass TDs and still make the Pro Bowl in a rush first offense should only be more of a testament to his skills.

Becoming a run-first team after the 2007 season with Carson Palmer at QB was asinine  Whatever  I wish old press conferences from back then were still up on the main website because I distinctly remember Marvin saying he wanted to "blow it all up" and start from scratch. I was all for blowing up the defense but why one of the best offenses in the league? Marv tried to fix something that wasn't broke... 

Anyway, it sort of worked in 2009 with sweeping and winning the AFC North. But 5 or 6 of those wins could have easily been losses... And they were in 2010. 

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 08:42 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Who voted in that poll? Was it players? Coaches? Media? Or maybe it just local Cincinnati media? Or local Cincinnati fans? 

I hate these kinds of polls. I don't trust them at all, never have  Whatever

I get the feeling the vast majority of players and coaches respect Carson and the vast majority of fans throughout the country have no opinion of Carson. I think the amount of people who say he's "hated" are very few. 

It would have been all Steelers had it been just Cincinnati fans voting lol

I don’t remember who all was on the list but I did see Vick was #1, so I’d guess it was some kind of national poll.

Reply/Quote
I don't understand the whole cost and money thing as it relates to Mike Brown and ownership. I mean a franchise worth is now in the billions isn't it? If your being frugal to make an extra mil here or there - why not just sell and take your billions and be done with it.
Reply/Quote