Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For 2024: A New Identity on Offense?
Yes, I know my postseason Monday morning quarterbacking is starting a week early but this up and down season is still fresh in my mind. Right now, at least as I see it, the Cincinnati Bengals need to develop a more recognizable offensive identity in the offseason. Right now it looks like Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan are trying the strategy of “throw jello at the wall and see what sticks” with respect to play calling and play design.

A strategic decision must be made before free agency opens and the Draft is upon us. Moving forward in 2024 and beyond is going to take some serious strategic planning. The first question should revolve around the offense: Do the Bengals go Air Raid, Smashmouth, or something else? Air Raid worked nicely against the NFC West (4-0) but fared badly against the rest of the AFC North (0-6 or 1-5).

(I’m well aware the terms “Air Raid” and “Smashmouth” mean different things to different people. If anyone has better terminology please feel free to share.)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nothing on offensive strategy will change because no one will make them. All blame is on anything but. Win with Burrow throwing like crazy, an o-line Walmart security detail, a couple of toss plays per game.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I highly doubt much is going to change. With Burrow, this team is likely always going to be the type of team to spread out defenses, sit in shotgun and throw it 60%-65% of the time. It also works, the offense was very productive. There isn’t much of a reason to change it. It was also productive with Browning this year.
Reply/Quote
I liked how they started using all the backs more and double TEs with Browning. I feel like Burrow is money at putting the ball where he wants to throw it. Maybe he could thrive in a dink and dunk offense to talented TEs, screens to RBs, and then have the occasional big play to Chase.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 11:54 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I highly doubt much is going to change. With Burrow, this team is likely always going to be the type of team to spread out defenses, sit in shotgun and throw it 60%-65% of the time. It also works, the offense was very productive. There isn’t much of a reason to change it. It was also productive with Browning this year.

The offense was productive for the most part — but not against the AFC North. Without needed changes the Bengals are going to start six games in the hole every season. Zac Taylor has a horrific record against the North — and that’s without taking 2019 into consideration.
Reply/Quote
Just saw the meme, with Harrison Butker with 19 points and the Bengals with 17 points. Our playoffs started and that was what the offense could do.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 11:12 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, I know my postseason Monday morning quarterbacking is starting a week early but this up and down season is still fresh in my mind. Right now, at least as I see it, the Cincinnati Bengals need to develop a more recognizable offensive identity in the offseason. Right now it looks like Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan are trying the strategy of “throw jello at the wall and see what sticks” with respect to play calling and play design.

A strategic decision must be made before free agency opens and the Draft is upon us. Moving forward in 2024 and beyond is going to take some serious strategic planning. The first question should revolve around the offense: Do the Bengals go Air Raid, Smashmouth, or something else? Air Raid worked nicely against the NFC West (4-0) but fared badly against the rest of the AFC North (0-4 or 1-3).

(I’m well aware the terms “Air Raid” and “Smashmouth” mean different things to different people. If anyone has better terminology please feel free to share.)

Tony Romo yesterday “ I am so impressed with Zac Taylor and what they have done after their start. The first couple of years very rough and they were possibly talking about his job…. He’s shown how special he is. He’s one of the best coaches in the NFL, Jim, and he’s shown it week in and week out. They are just so fundamentally sound they make it difficult on defenses they adjust with the team they have out on the field every week . Nantz “ he’s fundamentally sound. Talk about a guy with no ego and has his act together
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Tony Romo yesterday “ I am so impressed with Zac Taylor and what they have done after their start. The first couple of years very rough and they were possibly talking about his job…. He’s shown how special he is. He’s one of the best coaches in the NFL, Jim, and he’s shown it week in and week out. They are just so fundamentally sound they make it difficult on defenses they adjust with the team they have out on the field every week . Nantz “ he’s fundamentally sound. Talk about a guy with no ego and has his act together

Tony Romo sees the Bengals twice a year at most. Zac Taylor is NOT one of the best coaches in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Tony Romo sees the Bengals twice a year at most.  Zac Taylor is NOT one of the best coaches in the NFL.

Most of his posts and identity is in defense of Taylor. You won't talk him out of his altar. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Tony Romo sees the Bengals twice a year at most. Zac Taylor is NOT one of the best coaches in the NFL.

He watches a ton of film are you serious? Doesn’t fit your wrong narrative. Thinking you know more than Romo is laughable. The last 2 seasons the Bengals offense were #6 and #8 in efficiency ( points per play).. it’s not hard
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:20 PM)Destro Wrote: Most of his posts and identity is in defense of Taylor. You won't talk him out of his altar. 

Zac Taylor is a good coach; I’m not denying this. He did some impressive work with a very depleted roster in 2023. Would anyone have predicted the Bengals would be playing 0.500 ball with Joe Burrow on the sidelines?

I didn’t.
Reply/Quote
On offense concentrate the most on improving the run game. Keep Chase Brown and find another running back to pair with him. It's time to part ways with Mixon, but at the same time part ways with the other running backs as well. Generally speaking improve the 'run game' coaching for gamedays and practice. Bring in new backs with Chase Brown while bringing in upgraded linemen if possible.

Ideally imo the new identity should be about having a solid run game with Burrow capitalizing off of it, regardless of what contract he signed. He would still put up big numbers, even bigger possibly, but the dividends from a good run game is what this offense needs for years to come. imo.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Thinking you know more than Romo is laughable.

I do NOT know more than Tony Romo about football; few people do.

I DO understand mathematics and statistics very well though.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor is a good coach; I’m not denying this. He did some impressive work with a very depleted roster in 2023. Would anyone have predicted the Bengals would be playing 0.500 ball with Joe Burrow on the sidelines?

I didn’t.

They need to fix the damn running game. It’s embarrassingly awful. Just awful. Can’t blame that on Burrow. Pollack has to go but he’s Mike Brown’s guy and if Zac’s got a weakness he’s too human. Zac’s not Kyle Shanahan in the run game. He needs an OL coach that can scheme IMO

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Tony Romo yesterday “ I am so impressed with Zac Taylor and what they have done after their start. The first couple of years very rough and they were possibly talking about his job…. He’s shown how special he is. He’s one of the best coaches in the NFL, Jim, and he’s shown it week in and week out. They are just so fundamentally sound they make it difficult on defenses they adjust with the team they have out on the field every week . Nantz “ he’s fundamentally sound. Talk about a guy with no ego and has his act together

Taylor does do some good things as a head coach the team not being penalized alot is one of them. But I think these Browning games have shown his faults. Against Jax and Indy we made the offense simpler for Browning and not only did he thrive but the whole team responded. But then we resorted right back to the offense we were running with Burrow. At first I thought maybe they're was tensions with who was calling plays but now I think it's because we don't want to change the offense and we took more off Brownings plate until we thought he was ready. The problem is i think just like Lou's scheme it will work well but you need really good play to execute it consistently. Sure with Burrow the offense will be fine but the whole offense played better with the simpler plays for Browning. So the faults I see is one we couldn't read the play of the team on the field and the unwillingness to change. I mean do we really want Burrow having to throw it all over the field coming off wrist surgery right out of the gate to win?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They need to fix the damn running game. It’s embarrassingly awful. Just awful. Can’t blame that on Burrow. Pollack has to go but he’s Mike Brown’s guy and if Zac’s got a weakness he’s too human.

You seriously need to get off Zac Taylor's nuts dude. I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude and I know we are on a Bengalsmessage board but holy crap. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They need to fix the damn running game. It’s embarrassingly awful. Just awful. Can’t blame that on Burrow. Pollack has to go but he’s Mike Brown’s guy and if Zac’s got a weakness he’s too human.

Joe Burrow is not the problem here; you’re right about that! The lack of a run game cost the Bengals a lot of wins since 2020; the offensive line can’t run block very well. Not even Derrick Henry or 1970s-era OJ Simpson could succeed in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The offense was productive for the most part — but not against the AFC North.  Without needed changes the Bengals are going to start six games in the hole every season. Zac Taylor has a horrific record against the North — and that’s without taking 2019 into consideration.

This doesn't necessitate a new identity, though. Part of the Bengals issue is that their running game has been piss poor for years now. They have a rather mediocre RB room and to Synric's credit, the OL isn't full of athletes that get off the ball to generate push. Getting some more dynamic guys in there can help the offense tremendously. Defenses feel comfortable sitting in two high against Cincinnati because what are they going to do? KC runs two high as their base coverage and the Bengals barely mustered 3 YPC against them. It forces the offense into a one dimensional mindset and then the pass rushers can tee off. 

The Bengals do poorly against the AFCN because they can't run the ball effectively and most of the defenses in this division have all-world pass rushers to go along with strong secondaries. That's more of a personnel change IMO. They have to keep trying to add talent in the RB room and OL. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor is a good coach; I’m not denying this.  He did some impressive work with a very depleted roster in 2023.  Would anyone have predicted the Bengals would be playing 0.500 ball with Joe Burrow on the sidelines?

I didn’t.

I didn't either but literally nothing good came from it. What looked like a new offensive identity was only thrown in the trash to go right back to the offense we were running. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Would anyone have predicted the Bengals would be playing 0.500 ball with Joe Burrow on the sidelines?

I didn’t.

Jacksonville, Colts and Vikings in OT. Not exactly a murders row. And this for a team that I hear over and over again about being in the AFC Championship Game the past two years. Browning did better than I expected, too, but the same bad O-line, lack of rushing, (unless a toss play), -2 yard out routes and no tackling never went away. None of the bad yesterday was new to the team. 

They are the Cincinnati Burrows. I love me some Joe Burrow, but when it is all about one guy, and everything else with the team is below par, this is what you get. 
Reply/Quote