Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For 2024: A New Identity on Offense?
(01-02-2024, 12:03 AM)fisherscatfan Wrote: Criminal. lol. Why were both AFC title games on the road? The question is with the talent the Bengals have had are they being used correctly and what has Taylor really done that several other coaches could not have done with this talent?  If Taylor/Callahan are here for the next 5 years Bengals fans will be looking back wondering where Burrow’s shot went.

Or not but Zac will be here a long time.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 09:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What are the Free Agent RB's that will be available this year?

Here you go sport:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back//

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 12:39 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Here you go sport:

Thanks man, lots of good ones that is for sure. DeAndre Swift would be a nice grab and he is still young and might not be too expensive.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 07:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This. 

Why would we change this offense? It's been pretty damn successful. 

We went 0-6 in the division because Burrow didn't play in 75% of those games or was completely immobile and not 100% in them. The only division game he was healthy for was the first half of the Baltimore game. 

People are trying to make this deeper than it needs to be - like we need to gut our team to match up better with the AFC North. 

Like no, we don't. We just need our best player to be healthy. 

Yes been successful but a more limited when we play the AFC North especially when Lamar is playing,... but agree don;t gut but all players can improve so Burrow needs to improve on rpo's and playaction, like to see them put him under center a bit more and we need to get more out of our run game and of course Oline still not at level we hope they would be
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 01:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yes been successful but a more limited when we play the AFC North especially when Lamar is playing,... but agree don;t gut but all players can improve so Burrow needs to improve on rpo's and playaction, like to see them put him under center a bit more and we need to get more out of our run game and of course Oline still not at level we hope they would be

From 2021 on when both were healthy or played it’s 1-1. Not counting our first game this year. Joe drilled Lamar/Balt 41-17 and Lamar beat Joe in 2022 on an end of game Justin Tucker FG. I don’t count 2020 as the rosters weren’t close.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This doesn't necessitate a new identity, though. Part of the Bengals issue is that their running game has been piss poor for years now. They have a rather mediocre RB room and to Synric's credit, the OL isn't full of athletes that get off the ball to generate push. Getting some more dynamic guys in there can help the offense tremendously. Defenses feel comfortable sitting in two high against Cincinnati because what are they going to do? KC runs two high as their base coverage and the Bengals barely mustered 3 YPC against them. It forces the offense into a one dimensional mindset and then the pass rushers can tee off. 

The Bengals do poorly against the AFCN because they can't run the ball effectively and most of the defenses in this division have all-world pass rushers to go along with strong secondaries. That's more of a personnel change IMO. They have to keep trying to add talent in the RB room and OL. 

This.....
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The reason why I doubt they change anything major "just for the AFCN", is because Burrow's record vs the North, when healthy, is 8-3 since 2021.

We will see how things shake out this year, but aside from the Bengals, when is the last time a North team went deep into the playoffs? The Ravens last Super Bowl?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 08:27 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This will never be a run, under center, big play action team with Burrow as QB1. 

It's not what he wants and it doesn't suite his best skillset. 

Incorporate it a bit more, that's fine...but it's not what he or the staff want. 

And they shouldn't want that. You don't have a guy like Joe, and pay him 275 mil to......hand the ball off. A smattering here and there as you say, is fine. Some tweaks need made, but scrapping the whole offense is a bit of a knee jerk to me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
My overly simple take:

1) Burrow has received Tom Brady comparisons: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/joe-burrow-tom-brady-comparison-bengals/q4mfodplfcnvzlur4ne7yhs9#:~:text=Burrow%20also%20might%20have%20more,pressure.

2) Implement the type of offenses Brady excelled in.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 02:59 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: My overly simple take:

1) Burrow has received Tom Brady comparisons: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/joe-burrow-tom-brady-comparison-bengals/q4mfodplfcnvzlur4ne7yhs9#:~:text=Burrow%20also%20might%20have%20more,pressure.

2) Implement the type of offenses Brady excelled in.

Seems like at the height of the Patriots' dominance in the Brady era they were a strong running team utilizing RBBC and ran a lot of 12 personnel sets.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm personally a fan of the WCO.
It would allow Burrow and co. to march down the field and not require the OL to block as long.
Let's be frank here (lol get it), the OL is never going to be good enough to block for a long amount of time. The current scheme and/or players won't allow for it.

WCO also will need the running game to be better, so the Bengals should try to add a new RB this offseason or next as Mixon moves out and a new era begins.

TE also typically becomes a bigger emphasis in WCO, which I am always a fan of.

Last, this would (or should) reduce the need to have elite QB play, so if Burrow were to be out at all again in the future, it would be easier for a backup to come in and succeed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They need to fix the damn running game. It’s embarrassingly awful. Just awful. Can’t blame that on Burrow. Pollack has to go but he’s Mike Brown’s guy and if Zac’s got a weakness he’s too human. Zac’s not Kyle Shanahan in the run game. He needs an OL coach that can scheme IMO

He needs an OL that is capable of running his scheme! Zac and Pollack want to run a wide-zone scheme but they have to run a gap man scheme because the OLine is a negative in the Athlectisim compartment.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 04:58 PM)J24 Wrote: He needs an OL that is capable of running his scheme! Zac and Pollack want to run a wide-zone scheme but they have to run a gap man scheme because the OLine is a negative in the Athlectisim compartment.

That’s exactly right. Some are capable in wide zone others not. They are running man. Mixon is better in the man as well

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 12:39 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Here you go sport:

I only ask that they stay away from JK Dobbins. The dude cannot stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 09:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True as well. BTW, do you think we might draft a RB somewhat earlier than most expect? Wouldn't surprise me honestly.

I really like Chase Brown but Mixon is getting up there in age and is never going to be a great pass protector.

I like the strategy of drafting running backs and receivers in the mid rounds. 

I'd rather use our higher picks on lineman and defensive players, provided the value is there.

I like Chase Brown a lot. He may end up being our best pick last year. I see him having a big role in the future.
Reply/Quote