Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those hoping for a HC change...
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18228027/talk-owner-mike-brown-every-day

This whole interview makes Marv extremely confident (almost cocky) that he's not going anywhere. He doesn't seem even remotely concerned about losing his job. The thought of a coach keeping his job for TWO DECADES with 0 playoff wins seems surreal, but it's about to be reality.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 03:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18228027/talk-owner-mike-brown-every-day

This whole interview makes Marv extremely confident (almost cocky) that he's not going anywhere. He doesn't seem even remotely concerned about losing his job. The thought of a coach keeping his  job for TWO DECADES with 0 playoff wins seems surreal, but it's about to be reality.

Mike is committed and stuck in his ways.  He was born in 1935.  I don't think changing is in his blood.  He will stick with his contract, and Marvin will remain coaching.  I would almost say he will be coaching here after next, season as well.   
Reply/Quote
I feel so reassured now, knowing they take disappointments to heart, that they talk candidly, and are committed to winning championships.

Armed with all of these revelations, watching missed PAT's, RB's running into the backs of their blockers, and Dalton getting a healthy two seconds to read defenses while trying to deliver pin-point passes downfield will be so much more enjoyable for me. And I'm thrilled for the entire fan base, as now we all know (without question, mind you) not only how dedicated the front office is in bringing the Lombardi to its most deserved resting place, but who will be leading the charge.

The Football Gods are truly smiling down upon us.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 03:46 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Mike is committed and stuck in his ways.  He was born in 1935.  I don't think changing is in his blood.  He will stick with his contract, and Marvin will remain coaching.  I would almost say he will be coaching here after next, season as well.   

The 90's are gone, but Mike Brown's influence lives on. And on and on.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like things are right on track. Even though this season happened the way it did.

Lewis' contract, given a one-year extension in the spring, runs through the end of the 2017 season. While some pundits have publicly wondered if the Bengals could benefit from a new voice, Lewis feels he already received Brown's support last winter.

"We reassured it last January the day after we lost in the playoffs," Lewis said.

"I think the thing with Mike is that he's been in this business a long time. And he takes every loss as hard as I do or anybody else does here. And it affects him," Lewis said. "But on the other hand, he trusts me to move the football team in the right direction. ... that's the commitment that he's made to me ... and that's the commitment I've made to him, to get his football team in the playoffs and through the playoffs all the time and be world champions...
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The 90's are gone, but Mike Brown's influence lives on. And on and on.

I honestly believe we have to look at it through his Eyes.  He is wealthy, he owns the team, he has his family working, he gives to charities, he has done a lot for the City, and to him at the end of the day, his idea of the Cincinnati Bengals are not those of fans.  He see's an atmosphere that has progressively grown over the years.  (Atmosphere = Business).  We fans keep buying into it each and every year, and the reason for it is because when the season rolls around we are emotionally tied to the team through childhood and beyond.  Good times with family, food, etc...   Does Mike want to win, Yes without a doubt.  However, with those other tangibles, "Business is Business" and if the money keeps rolling in, and we are almost there, and he does not have to make huge changes, then we are left with what we are, and that is Fans of the Cincinnati Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
Again .... Marvin leaves when Marvin retires.

How much more proof do we need????
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:23 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Again .... Marvin leaves when Marvin retires.

How much more proof do we need????

Yes, Indeed.  I say he will be extended again if he chooses.  This article seems to be stating that Cincy Fans might as well get use to the idea. Mikey's Rulz.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 03:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18228027/talk-owner-mike-brown-every-day

This whole interview makes Marv extremely confident (almost cocky) that he's not going anywhere. He doesn't seem even remotely concerned about losing his job. The thought of a coach keeping his  job for TWO DECADES with 0 playoff wins seems surreal, but it's about to be reality.

I just finished laughing my way through this on my phone....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:25 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Yes, Indeed.  I say he will be extended again if he chooses.  This article seems to be stating that Cincy Fans might as well get use to the idea. Mikey's Rulz.

That's the part Wyche and I are head scratching about.

How does anyone who's been a fan from, at least 2003, not already know this???

I understand folk stating their opinion that they would like to see him gone, but anyone who actually gets baffled because it isn't happening or expecting it to happen is not very well informed, IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: That's the part Wyche and I are head scratching about.

I understand folk stating their opinion that they would like to see him gone, but anyone who actually gets baffled because it isn't happening or expecting it to happen is not very well informed, IMHO.

Yep, and when you've been around throughout Mikey's reign of terror, you pretty much KNOW what's coming. I'll say this though, a return of the Piano Man may drive me to quit watching next season.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: That's the part Wyche and I are head scratching about.

I think it's more frustration than being 'baffled'. Many fans, myself included, feel this team desperately needs a change at HC, but I think most knew that the chances of it actually happening were slim to none...and that's being generous.

Honestly, Marvin will probably be able to coach here as long as he wants. It's hard to imagine a situation where Mike would fire him or not give him continuous extensions...as long as Marvin is still game. Mike trusts Marvin and is very comfortable with him. I think Marvin is here until he decides he wants to walk away. 

Complacency has a very secure home in the Bengals organization. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and when you've been around throughout Mikey's reign of terror, you pretty much KNOW what's coming.  I'll say this though, a return of the Piano Man may drive me to quit watching next season.

I say the same stuff every year, though for different reasons sometimes. Yet as the end of summer rolls around, and the boys start another season, there I am - in front of the TV or down at PBS, thinking "maybe this year".

Every. Damned. Year.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I don't care who stays as long as Nugent doesn't!

[Image: 140125_SteelArmy_Photos_PitchforksTorche...Groups.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Can't expect players to be accountable if there's no accountability at the top. Seems so easy and simple to the common folk. Marvin is the happiest 4-7-1 coach in history. If you didn't know any better you'd think he's headed towards a bye.

This is what got me

“I think the thing with Mike is that he’s been in this business a long time. And he takes every loss as hard as I do or anybody else does here. And it affects him,” Lewis said. “But on the other hand, he trusts me to move the football team in the right direction. . . . that’s the commitment that he’s made to me . . . and that’s the commitment I’ve made to him, to get his football team in the playoffs and through the playoffs all the time and be world champions. . . .

He can't even win a playoff game why he talking about his commitment in the playoffs and being a world champion. After nearly 2 decades. Really? I can see old man Mike Brown being too old to get it, but no excuse for the Browns family not to roll their eyes at comments like that. If they can't speak up to MB about this foolishness, then I'm not sold a change of ownership to them will help anything.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:50 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I say the same stuff every year, though for different reasons sometimes. Yet as the end of summer rolls around, and the boys start another season, there I am - in front of the TV or down at PBS, thinking "maybe this year".

Every. Damned. Year.

Me too, but after this meltdown on the line with his hand picked proteges and then sticking with one of them when he was obviously the smelliest turd has me pretty well finished if he isn't.  Oh, I'll check scores and catch a few quarters here and there, I'm sure, but I'll not be contributing a dime to the organization directly, and I won't be as invested.  I can find other ways to occupy my Sundays.  I've already missed more this season than I ever have, the glorious 90's included.  There's no excuse for this shit.

Reply/Quote
I think this is it. Call me crazy. But with a lot of Marvin's guys older and free agents, a load of draft picks coming, and some overpaid veterans who wouldnt cost a lot to cut. A changing of the guard makes sense.

Fingers crossed
Reply/Quote
Quote:and that's the commitment I've made to him, to get his football team in the playoffs and through the playoffs all the time and be world champions...

At least he acknowledged that's somewhere on the "things to do" list. I was beginning to wonder if it wasn't just "show up, lose less."
Reply/Quote
Only hope is to lose out. And that isn't even a given to work.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think it's more frustration than being 'baffled'. Many fans, myself included, feel this team desperately needs a change at HC, but I think most knew that the chances of it actually happening were slim to none...and that's being generous.

Honestly, Marvin will probably be able to coach here as long as he wants. It's hard to imagine a situation where Mike would fire him or not give him continuous extensions...as long as Marvin is still game. Mike trusts Marvin and is very comfortable with him. I think Marvin is here until he decides he wants to walk away. 

Complacency has a very secure home in the Bengals organization. 

Exactly. Most well informed fans know Marvin is going nowhere anytime soon. If he loses every game the rest of the season and we go 5-10-1, he's still going to be coaching this team next season. Marvin will leave when he's ready to leave. Until then, Mike Brown will continue to hand out extension after extension.

There's no denying that everyone wants to win, but the heads at the top are convinced that their way is the best way for us to improve, despite the fact we can't move on beyond the first round of the playoffs.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote