Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For those who wanted Bud Dupree over Ced
I was one of the people a little bit upset about the Bengals passing on Bud Dupree and letting him fall to Steelers.
Though I am happy with the pick of Ced if he heals up. Kid would have been in the top 10 possibly top 5.

any how this little tid bit about Bud Dupree is coming out

Bud Dupree struggling to adjust to NFL

The Steelers drafted Kentucky pass-rusher Bud Dupree in the first round of this year's draft in hopes the All-SEC performer could upgrade their porous defense as early as 2015. That's not happening anytime soon based on his struggles in training camp and through two preseason games. ESPN NFL Insider Louis Riddick thinks Dupree's performance thus far is a "real concern."

You can listen here
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=13457137

or read about it here
http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/14762/bud-dupree-not-a-real-concern-for-steelers-but-he-needs-to-show-more-explosion-vs-packers
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
They should just cut him now. Stick a fork in him.
Reply/Quote
I'll admit I wanted the Bengals to pick him too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:20 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'll admit I wanted the Bengals to pick him too.

The first step to acceptance is to rid oneself of denial.
Good job my friend
Reply/Quote
I wanted him too, maybe we were all wrong......maybe he'll wind up being pretty good after some coaching....that's hard to find at UK....lol.

Here, he would've had time to develop behind some pretty good players, it's a little different situation in Pittsburgh though.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: I wanted him too, maybe we were all wrong......maybe he'll wind up being pretty good after some coaching....that's hard to find at UK....lol.

Here, he would've had time to develop behind some pretty good players, it's a little different situation in Pittsburgh though.

THAT IS TRUE.
but lets take your logic a bit further.

Dupree has time to develop behind some great players.

What about Ced? If he truly is a top 5 or 10 talent. He has time to develop as well. The difference in these two cases is
Ced being injured. Also Dupree would be buried in the depth chart behind talent that signed for the next four years just as he is.

Ced on the other hand can develop this year while rehabbing and start next year when we will need him. Bengals are not keeping both Whit and Andre Smith.
Reply/Quote
I was wanting Malcom Brown : /
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:36 AM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: THAT IS TRUE.
but lets take your logic a bit further.

Dupree has time to develop behind some great players.

What about Ced? If he truly is a top 5 or 10 talent. He has time to develop as well. The difference in these two cases is
Ced being injured. Also Dupree would be buried in the depth chart behind talent that signed for the next four years just as he is.

Ced on the other hand can develop this year while rehabbing and start next year when we will need him. Bengals are not keeping both Whit and Andre Smith.

That's true too.

I think a lot of the angst over the pick stems from grabbing two OTs......either way, I think we fared ok after all of the hoopla.  I was rather concerned over the abysmal pass rush in '14, versus our current OT situation.  It's hard to say if we made the right pick, because we drafted an injured player.....if he pans out like he should, it's most likely the better pick if Dupree continues to struggle.  However, if he lights it up after a year in the league, it becomes a wash, because Ced has rode the pine a year.  Only time will tell......but for now, it looks as though those of us who wanted Bud may have been wrong. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I was so pissed when Nelson Agholor was taken the pick before. The team will probably never admit it (the guy we took was always the "first choice"), but wasn't that who they were supposedly fixing to draft?
Reply/Quote
I can't really speak on it because I didn't really see Dupree play much.

I do agree however that it's pretty unlikely Whit and Andre are both on team next season sooooo.
Reply/Quote
To be fair, we don't know if Cedric Ogbuehi would struggle yet, as he's rehabbing an injury and has yet to play any snaps.

Also, Steelers front-7 draft picks don't typically play extremely well as rookies either. Cam Heyward, Jarvis Jones, and Ziggy Hood all come to mind.

I hope Ogbuehi pans out well for the Bengals and I hope that Dupree is just mediocre at best since he's a Steeler, but it's too early to be implying that Dupree could be a bust of a pick before he even plays a regular season snap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Seems like the Pitt rookies on D have struggled a LOT the last few years.

Now there is no LeBeau to hide their weaknesses too.

I'm excited to watch that defense stink.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: To be fair, we don't know if Cedric Ogbuehi would struggle yet, as he's rehabbing an injury and has yet to play any snaps.

Also, Steelers front-7 draft picks don't typically play extremely well as rookies either. Cam Heyward, Jarvis Jones, and Ziggy Hood all come to mind.

I hope Ogbuehi pans out well for the Bengals and I hope that Dupree is just mediocre at best since he's a Steeler, but it's too early to be implying that Dupree could be a bust of a pick before he even plays a regular season snap.

didn't Ryan scherzinger from OSU work out?
Reply/Quote
I don't think we can slam any teams first round pick who is at least practicing and getting reps in preseason.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think we can slam any teams first round pick who is at least practicing and getting reps in preseason.

Big UK fan here.

Dupree was an athletic freak, even by SEC standards.  In-comparison to UK's talent prior to Stoops coming aboard, he stood out even more.

HOWEVER, it stops there.  He struggles in the IQ department.  He's had some knocks regarding work ethic and I question if he will ever be more than just a solid player.  He actually reminds me a bit of Rey Maualuga.  Some billed them as studs, because of how they looked in college.  I think highest upside ends up just being another decent LB.  He's in a great system to do so, but not necessarily worth such a high pick.
Reply/Quote
Eh, both long term projects. Expecting one to be ready right away more so than the other was just foolishness considering both have major issues, primarily with their hands.

If one went up against the other it would be a collision of "meh" proportions.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:42 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I was wanting Malcom Brown : /

This.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I hope Ogbuehi pans out well for the Bengals and I hope that Dupree is just mediocre at best since he's a Steeler, but it's too early to be implying that Dupree could be a bust of a pick before he even plays a regular season snap.

This.
Reply/Quote
Despite my Kentucky bias, I think it was best for Dupree to get drafted by a 3-4 team. He does not have the body type of a 4-3 end. Can't say I'm surprised that he's struggled early on as he was still very raw coming out of college, but I think it's a bit early to be applying a bust label.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:31 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Eh, both long term projects. Expecting one to be ready right away more so than the other was just foolishness considering both have major issues, primarily with their hands.

If one went up against the other it would be a collision of "meh" proportions.

I do believe there's a difference though.

We took a project pick for a future need.

They took a project pick for an immediate need.

You'd think the Steelers would have taken a more NFL ready pick with their higher draft choices with that defense being as bad as it looks right now.
Reply/Quote