Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Mod Denny vs. Lance McAlister (Denny is a Joke)
I had minimal contact with Denny on the old board. However, I remember him stating something that was said in the locker room. It was totally made up IMO as no other news source mentioned it. I think he had ego problems.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 02:02 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I had minimal contact with Denny on the old board. However, I remember him stating something that was said in the locker room. It was totally made up IMO as no other news source mentioned it. I think he had ego problems.

Short man syndrome..... :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 03:03 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So just for those who aren't familiar with Lance McAlister, let me me set the stage a bit, so to speak.  I'll try my very best to paint in this picture for you.

Lance McAlister is a local talk radio guy here in Cincinnati.  He does Sports Talk on 700, he does the afternoon show on 1530 during the Reds season, I'm pretty sure he does Bengals Roundtable or one of those live shows, along with a slew of other things  (Note: His blog for local coverage is an absolute must read for Cincy sports guys like me.  While I don't always agree with him, or love all of his segments, there is no doubt the man has a great blog. I highly recommend it.)

So for those who are familiar with him they probably already know what I'm about to say to describe him. For those that don't... He is probably the nicest guy you'll ever hear on talk radio. IMO, to a fault even.  For cynical, grizzled and tired "haters"like me, all of his pleasantness can be almost nauseating at times.  I occasionally need some over-reaction from sports talk, some fire, some hate. (Some of you have read my posts) You rarely, if ever, get that from Lance.

The guy is so nice I was reading a tweet he replied to that dropped, what I thought, was a minor curse word with something "language please".  Lance is such a good guy that he's not having this type of stuff on his page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9bt5APRf_w   So, yeah, in summary, Lance is a nice dude.  

Anyhoo, after the UC game on Saturday I thought I'd see what Lance had to say about the game. I hopped on his Twitter page and saw a tweet that something like "6th time ever I've ever had to block someone". My immediate thought was "who the hell managed to piss Lance McAlister off so much that he blocked them?"  All of his interactions are always so friendly. His show, his blog, and his twitter are all so damn nice and pretty laid back.

Who the hell is such an asshole that they got this guy worked up?  

I was curious so I scrolled a few tweets and got my answer.  It was Denny2G or whatever he goes by.  His page still has the Bengalsboard mod title on it.

Basically there were a  serious of exchanges where Denny was ripping the Reds, ripping Lance, and just being a pretty big dick.  To best describe the level of "hate" he was displaying, imagine my thoughts on the Bengals, then times that by at least 5.  The whole thing seemed equal parts antagonistic and terribly ironic (if your familiar with Denny).

Let me tell you this, you can't be that positive about one team and that negative about another.  You just can't. There are indeed personality traits and expectations that carry over from sport to sport.  The levelheaded, happy go lucky fan doesn't turn into an Eagles type fan as the seasons change.  

The guy is/was a total fraud.  I'm sure most of us knew all along, I know I did.  It was clear he was some dork who let something as lame as moderator powers get to his head.  The really sad thing is, I bet he either didn't get paid at all or it was minimal.  My guess is he got a few free tickets and got to shake a few hands.  That's it,  And for that he turned into a joke.  A phoney.  He developed what many, what we used to call "nerds", do, he developed hall monitor syndrome.

1.) I'm glad we now have a place where we can actually talk without it being somewhat agenda driven.  And the interesting about  that is that I think board relations are better by not being overtly positive. Allowing and listening to negativity has in turn created less negativity.  Denny's behavior only make divides worse IMHO.

Thanks to the new team here.

2.) If you want to read the tweets go  to Lance's page and scroll down to Feb. 12th. They're right before the UC game stuff.  Sorry, I don't know how to grab a screenshot.

Lol Denny isn't on Twitter anymore. Maybe getting blocked by Lance was more than he could handle.

nevermind. I lied

https://twitter.com/dennyg2
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 11:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There was this other person named Mulligan that would always argue with me about free agency. I'd say the Bengals needed to bring in 1 or 2 free agents to put them over the top. They'd argue that our drafts were awesome, that we retained our own, and that we were budgeting money for the future for AJ and Andy.

26+ years without a playoff win and counting.

The funny thing too is that the Reds and Bengals have a lot of parallels with how they are managed. They pretty much have to nail drafts to be competitive because they won't be adding high end free agents.

Mullsy!!!!! LMAO

Man, that dude would bash the shit outta Andy, but defend Son of Paul and Mediocre Marv to the death.  I used to reply to every post of his roasting players with the records of ineptitude for his heroes......or accuse him of working in the FO or being an heir.  Damn it was fun to literally read his blood pressure raise over that.  He was another smug prick.

Reply/Quote
Thanks,Wes; you took me on a trip down memory lane bringing up Sports Talk and the old board. In retrospect, you gotta wonder who was actually "real" on the old board, so many phonies and people who exaggerated their self-importance. I never really had a problem with DennyG, but quite often his extreme positivity on that board was a bit much. I personally liked Joe from Florence, he wasn't totally negative; but to me seemed very real in his opinions, and not a puppet for the Bengals. I don't know how many on here are old enough to remember Trumpy on Sports Talk, but imagine for a minute Denny (or anybody) calling in and getting under HIS skin, as someone usually did almost daily...it was a blast to listen to! To your point about the Reds and it being almost impossible to laud the Bengals and down the Reds, I totally agree. I grew up listening to the Reds almost daily, and can't imagine being against them or the Bengals. Hell, I still miss the Big O and the Royals! Disappointed and let down by our teams almost yearly as of late, completely hating any one of them...never! I'm just glad we still have our teams, and hope someday,somehow; one or both of them returns to glory.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 10:06 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Lol Denny isn't on Twitter anymore. Maybe getting blocked by Lance was more than he could handle.

nevermind. I lied

https://twitter.com/dennyg2

He has a link to the bengals.com message board. LOL
Reply/Quote
seems pretty funny that DennyG is negative about all Cincy teams in light of his never ending positive spin on Bengals.com

No doubt, Bengals management read the old board more than we thought and planted DennyG to try to steer away the negativity.

Then they disbanded the board never thinking it would reappear here.

I cannot thank enough the folks who started this board who have given all of us the great pleasure of staying in touch and exchanging ideas about the team we, for some bizarre reason, continue to love and support.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 11:25 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He has a link to the bengals.com message board. LOL

LMAO....dude sure feels good about himself....which is not a bad thing....until you start telling/showing others you feel that way. Smirk

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 11:30 AM)bengals67 Wrote: seems pretty funny that DennyG is negative about all Cincy teams in light of his never ending positive spin on Bengals.com

No doubt, Bengals management read the old board more than we thought and planted DennyG to try to steer away the negativity.

I cannot thank enough the folks who started this board who have given all of us the great pleasure of staying in touch and exchanging ideas about the team we, for some bizarre reason, continue to love and support.

We're all evidently gluttons for punishment.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: Mullsy!!!!! LMAO

Man, that dude would bash the shit outta Andy, but defend Son of Paul and Mediocre Marv to the death.  I used to reply to every post of his roasting players with the records of ineptitude for his heroes......or accuse him of working in the FO or being an heir.  Damn it was fun to literally read his blood pressure raise over that.  He was another smug prick.

Colt McCoy was his dream upgrade QB.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 11:30 AM)bengals67 Wrote: seems pretty funny that DennyG is negative about all Cincy teams in light of his never ending positive spin on Bengals.com

Someone posted a while back that the Moderators were directed by someone in the Bengals Organization to steer interactions positive. ie Live again to fight another year. We'll get them next year, etc.

Newspapers and other sites seem to be getting rid of sports boards. It happened for the Pistons Forum I post on too. I don't know that the cost is a huge reason why...I'm sure there are some licensing fees and maintenance...but I think part is the liability of the negative comments and arguments. Who knows?
Reply/Quote
First of all we must understand the dynamic of the 2 Boards

The Mothership was associated with the organization. The Mods had to defend the image. Here the Mods answer to nobody.

To say Denny over-defended the team is only knowing half the story and bytching about it. He very well may have had directives to follow to keep the board functioning as long as it did.

I appreciated the Mothership and all Denny and the rest of the mods did. If I didn't agree with their stance; just like here, I'd state my piece and move on.

He was open as to where he sat at the games and invited anyone to stop by.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

to be fair I think there was a pretty even split between boards that got all of the outcasts from the bengals.com boards.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 02:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First of all we must understand the dynamic of the 2 Boards

The Mothership was associated with the organization. The Mods had to defend the image. Here the Mods answer to nobody.

To say Denny over-defended the team is only knowing half the story and bytching about it. He very well may have had directives to follow to keep the board functioning as long as it did.

I appreciated the Mothership and all Denny and the rest of the mods did. If I didn't agree with their stance; just like here, I'd state my piece and move on.

He was open as to where he sat at the games and invited anyone to stop by.

I think we all had a good idea that was part of being a mod for that site. Im sure they were given instructions to make everyone play nice and tow the company line. Which is fine, it was a free service for fans to get together and talk about the team. Denny was always a super positive, and upbeat about everything kind of dude, which made it even more suspicious. I don't ever remember him being critical of the team. Although I have seen a few tweets which went against that image, and I was taken aback because they came from him.
Reply/Quote
I think Lance has a great blog, but im just not a huge fan of his personality. I think he is a huge dork. That being said, he is a nice guy.

Thats hilarious about Denny. That guy was and will always be a joke. Im pretty sure he was being paid by the Bengals or given something in order for him to spew positives on the Bengals message boards.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I wonder if he's salty about that board closing. Some of the mods got access to Bengals Events. I wonder if they kept granting him that after the board closed?

I briefly looked at his twitter and he was criticizing the Bengals in Nov.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 10:46 AM)McC Wrote: Seems like i remember Denny in a golf cart with MB from the old boards.

Yep. Denny made sure to flaunt that picture as his avatar. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 10:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Lance can be a bit of a Magoo, but when he isn't pimping 1-800 GOT JUNK or "the blog, the blog, the blog", he is a passionate fan of the Reds and Bengals.  I always kind of thought of him as the voice of the common fan as he would point out things that drove us nuts and want answers.  But, to be fair balanced, he also praised the Bengals when they did things well.

I like Mo Egger a lot better than Lance because he is so damn funny.  His continual request to be the Bengals "Manager of Common Sense" is hysterical.  The Falcons could have used him at the Super Bowl.

With respect to Denny, he got a lot of hate on the old boards for even being positive...something that I am frequently dealing with.  In the early years of the Dalton-Green Era, if you offered any support to Andy Dalton, you were a homer, an idiot, and clearly unable to "watch the game"....or all three.  Now, I feel like there are more people in Dalton's camp than those still claiming "he sucks".  

Denny would get really defensive when people questioned his loyalty, but I just try to remember the cumulative effect of all the horrible things that have happened to this team over the years.   I completely get it, but I am not willing to give up my hopes on the future just because of the shyt storms that have reigned in the past.  Denny hammering the Reds is interesting, because they were pretty damn close to advancing in the playoffs just a few years back, and are now rebuilding.  Due to the guaranteed nature of contracts in baseball, it is a lot tougher to turn a team around when some of your investments don't pay off.  

Either way, I can't say I miss the countless threads of Denny arguing with guys and eventually banning them.

Mo is great. Much better than Lance. Mo can get a little sloppy here and there and sometimes think hes the coolest guy in the world...but most of the time hes pretty good. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if he's salty about that board closing. Some of the mods got access to Bengals Events. I wonder if they kept granting him that after the board closed?

I briefly looked at his twitter and he was criticizing the Bengals in Nov.

That was like watching Sybil. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 02:02 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I had minimal contact with Denny on the old board. However, I remember him stating something that was said in the locker room. It was totally made up IMO as no other news source mentioned it. I think he had ego problems.

To be fair about Denny's ego problems. They were basically created by other members on the mothership, myself included. The announcement was made that he and 34 became mods. I'll be honest, not many people knew much about Denny. He just hadn't done or said anything memorable on the boards. So a lot of us basically turned him into a Captain America style character. There was even a green screen game with some editing photos of Denny and making him look epic.

My understanding is that he decided to run with this gimmick and turned into the character that frustrated many users with his over-the-top charade.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote