Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Four consecutive years
There is a legit gripe here in that the last time we had our first round picks ready to play week one was Eifert in 2013.

Every team has injuries, so you might expect it to happen once. Four times in the last four years and you have to start looking at the team's medical and training staffs suspiciously.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dennard couldn't cover his own shadow.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:04 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Of getting zero or close to zero production from the bengals 1st round picks

Dennard
Ogbuehi
Jackson
Ross

Eifert in 2012 who has missed 32+ games in 4 years.

Awful production from our top picks in the last 5 years

It looks like they are hoping to get heavy production from Eifert and Ced this season. I'd say Jackson is gonna get a good share of snaps. Ross will probably start with a light load then go from there. Big thing is as everyone mentioned stay healthy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:58 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: A player who misses every other game isn't very productive

Sat out the season finale in '13.
Missed the last 15 3/4 games in '14 due to elbow injury.
Missed 3 games in '15.
Missed first 6 games in '16 due to ankle injury. Dunno whether he sat out the finale or was dinged. 

That's 21 'consecutive' games on two separate season's on or coming off of an injury.
The other two seasons, he's played 28 out of 32 games. 

That's not missing "every other game". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:04 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Of getting zero or close to zero production from the bengals 1st round picks

Dennard
Ogbuehi
Jackson
Ross

You have a great point. When you don't sign free agents other than bargain bin 1 year players...you need to hit on your 1st Round picks in Year 1.

We lost 2 quality starters in Whitworth and Zeitler and it looks like  Mixon is a quality starter...but we came out in deficit.

Last year we lost Sanu, Jones, Hall, Nelson and some others...and Boyd and Vigil were the only guys we drafted who actually played a regular role. They weren't starters though.

So we're losing starters and bringing in guys who are rotation guys.

That spells trouble for the future.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 02:57 PM)Rattler Wrote: Dennard couldn't cover his own shadow.

At Michigan State Darqueze Dennard was fantastic. What happened?
Reply/Quote
A touchdown every 6th reception is pretty productive.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Dennard
Ogbuehi
Jackson
Ross

How does this compare to the league average?  I am not sure it is fair to include Ross, since he has not had the opportunity to play.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 06:32 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: How does this compare to the league average?  I am not sure it is fair to include Ross, since he has not had the opportunity to play.

Well the year before Eifert was Kirkpatrick, he didn't play his rookie season either did he?
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 05:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: At Michigan State Darqueze Dennard was fantastic.  What happened?

Good question...coached down or unfit to cover an NFL scheme...something hasn't translated.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 07:10 PM)Rattler Wrote: Good question...coached down or unfit to cover an NFL scheme...something hasn't translated.

Didn't Marvin say he was the best CB he's ever coached? I get a strange feeling that if he was drafted by another team he would be awesome.
Reply/Quote

Dennard
Ogbuehi
Jackson
Ross

Cannot argue with this.  
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 06:44 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Well the year before Eifert was Kirkpatrick, he didn't play his rookie season either did he?

Kirkpatrick played very little but Zeitler did.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 04:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You have a great point. When you don't sign free agents other than bargain bin 1 year players...you need to hit on your 1st Round picks in Year 1.

We lost 2 quality starters in Whitworth and Zeitler and it looks like  Mixon is a quality starter...but we came out in deficit.

Last year we lost Sanu, Jones, Hall, Nelson and some others...and Boyd and Vigil were the only guys we drafted who actually played a regular role. They weren't starters though.

So we're losing starters and bringing in guys who are rotation guys.

That spells trouble for the future.

It's crazy, right? Your first round picks are your main infusion of quality talent. they have to be counted on from day 1 to contribute, especially when you sign minimal to zero FAs to help the team.

I've looked at the first round picks over the same time from a number of teams.

The disparity in what we have seen from our players vs the rest of the league is sobering

John Ross can't even catch a pass in pre season and has been injured more than healthy since 2015. Those counting or expecting him to contribute are being ignorantly optimistic

The NFL hits harder. Much faster. And much more pysical than the PAC 12
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 07:51 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Didn't Marvin say he was the best CB he's ever coached? I get a strange feeling that if he was drafted by another team he would be awesome.

He absolutely did. Which makes his struggles all the more puzzling. What is Marv seeing (or rather, did he see) in Dennard that is not translating onto the field? Did injuries really hamper him that badly? 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 05:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: At Michigan State Darqueze Dennard was fantastic.  What happened?

Aside from being injury plagued;  hip, shoulder, ankle, he has been consistently forced into a coverage role that he never played in college.  At MSU, he was always a boundary corner, never on the slot.  In college he was able to use his physical style, as well as the sideline to perfect his craft, often times by simply faceguarding the receiver.  Faceguarding doesn't fly in the NFL, they don't allow nearly as much physicality from the defender, and playing the middle of the field is a different skill altogether.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 10:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Aside from being injury plagued;  hip, shoulder, ankle, he has been consistently forced into a coverage role that he never played in college.  At MSU, he was always a boundary corner, never on the slot.  In college he was able to use his physical style, as well as the sideline to perfect his craft, often times by simply faceguarding the receiver.  Faceguarding doesn't fly in the NFL, they don't allow nearly as much physicality from the defender, and playing the middle of the field is a different skill altogether.

Casting vote for Sunset to become the Bengals next new scout.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
My main issues with Ross is more of an issue with the bengals than the player himself.

So, for the last say 6 years, Bengals have been 'close'

Won way more than they have lost over the last 5-6 years

Yet, we still refuse to invest in FAs - When everyone else does

This draft, in particular, had a chance to get a difference making defensive stud - Foster or Allen.

Go pay for djax, supplement needed talent by paying for it, and draft better. It's not that hard
Reply/Quote
Wash, Rinse, Repeat..
1st founder, 7th founder or UCFA..doesn't matter.  They're all pretty young coming in and almost always take some time to develop into long term players. Too much is made about first round players. They're 'supposed to' be great, but they're still young guys trying to compete with older guys who have made their marks. We have quite a few CFA's who carry their own with nobody crying that they weren't drafted #1.

Think of it like a shopping cart at the grocery store. Is the first item you put in the cart the best meal you'll ever eat during the week every week? I doubt it. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 11:39 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: My main issues with Ross is more of an issue with the bengals than the player himself.

So, for the last say 6 years, Bengals have been 'close'  

Won way more than they have lost over the last 5-6 years

Yet, we still refuse to invest in FAs - When everyone else does

This draft, in particular, had a chance to get a difference making defensive stud - Foster or Allen.

Go pay for djax, supplement needed talent by paying for it, and draft better.  It's not that hard

So instead of drafting Ross because of his injury history we should have drafted Foster or Allen who had even bigger injury red flags?
Reply/Quote