Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Four consecutive years
(09-05-2017, 09:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: So then yes, you are by definition jumping the gun.

I get the concern. There were plenty leading up to the draft saying he was an injury risk waiting to happen, especially due to the microfracture surgery.
But my argument has always been that he showed he could play a full season on those knees, and he was dominant.

Luckily, Ross shouldn't have to be a major factor this year due to the WRs in front of him, and anyone who thought that Ross was somehow going to vault to WR2 just because of his draft position doesn't really understand how the Bengals operate.

I'm curious to know which player you would have taken in the draft since you have been so against the Ross pick?

I have said a few times:  Foster was my unanimous #1.  Allen and Howard were 1B and then Hooker and Engram on the radar. 

The drafting of Lawson and Willis and Mixon after round 1 was great. 

Hell, they could have traded down, in the first for an additional second rnd pick, say from 9 to 20-26, taken Cam Robinson, Ramczky or best available, then picked up a Smit- Shuster or Curtis Samuel in the second with mixon. 

We have drafted miserably in the 1st over the last 4 years
Reply/Quote
We have Willis and Lawson as our young, pass rushers. Allen isn't as important with them.

To me it comes down to Foster or Ross. Howard is good too, but we have Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 04:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have Willis and Lawson as our young, pass rushers. Allen isn't as important with them.

To me it comes down to Foster or Ross. Howard is good too, but we have Eifert.

We have 53% of Eifert.   Thats not something you count on
Reply/Quote
Allen is going to be a beast. He would have teamed up with Geno as the interior pass rusher from the LDT spot.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 04:11 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: I have said a few times:  Foster was my unanimous #1.  Allen and Howard were 1B and then Hooker and Engram on the radar. 

The drafting of Lawson and Willis and Mixon after round 1 was great. 

Hell, they could have traded down, in the first for an additional second rnd pick, say from 9 to 20-26, taken Cam Robinson, Ramczky or best available, then picked up a Smit- Shuster or Curtis Samuel in the second with mixon. 

We have drafted miserably in the 1st over the last 4 years

I like Malik Jefferson, Micah Kiser, Cameron Smith, Josey Jewell in next year's draft if the Bengals don't re-sign Burfict/Minter.
I like next year's OTs a lot more than this past year's OTs.
I don't see next year's TE class being as good as this past year's, but there are some well-rounded TEs that could fit.

We also haven't seen an extension done for neither Burfict nor Eifert, so I'm losing any hope either stays a Bengal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:04 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Of getting zero or close to zero production from the bengals 1st round picks

Dennard
Ogbuehi
Jackson
Ross

Eifert in 2012 who has missed 32+ games in 4 years.

Awful production from our top picks in the last 5 years

Someone get this guy some cheese to go with all the Whine
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 02:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The only ones I can think that would have even made sense would have been:

1) Reuben Foster (made some tackles, has come downhill well, but with Minter brought in might not have received much playing time anyway this year. Also injury concerns at time of draft)
2) OJ Howard (4 receptions for 43 yards this preseason. Some argue(d) about Howard sitting backseat to Eifert, but the TEs have been dinged up all preseason and we haven't seen much from the TEs that have actually played this preseason. Would have been my choice if not Ross.)
3) Malik Hooker (4 tackles in Preseason game 1, nothing since. Reportedly coming along slowly and not guaranteed to be starting Week 1. Also, Bengals very high on Williams/Iloka so Hooker would have been riding bench)
4) Haason Reddick (Reports just yesterday from Cardinals are he is still adjusting to LB after primarily being DE in college)
5) OT? (Purely based on need, but a very weak OT class)
6) Marshon Lattimore? (People would have flipped if another CB was taken after re-signing DK)
7) Derek Barnett (I think we can all agree Willis and Lawson have met/exceeded any expectations and justified not taking an edge rusher in the first round)

Hooker blew out his ACL...
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 04:11 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: We have drafted miserably in the 1st over the last 4 years
No, but they have had some injuries.  Ross, Ogbuehi, and WJIII are all key players and Dennard is quality depth.  Dennard has been the biggest disappointment, but has been getting his chance this year.  
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 04:15 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: We have 53% of Eifert.   Thats not something you count on

I don't often agree with the can, but in this case drafting Howard would have been a great pick up.

Foster had red flags and everyone passed on him till the end of the round but Howard over Ross would have been a nice addition. Especially with Ross' injury history and Eifert about to hit free agency.

However, what's done is done. Just have to hope this team can come together and get some wins.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 03:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: No there were reports that doctors were saying Allen likely won't have a very long career due to the arthritis in his shoulders. I never heard any such reports on Ross

"There are some teams that have pushed him either down their boards or off their boards because of injuries," Mayock said. "He's had surgery on his shoulder, he's had surgery on both knees, and he's got a small frame. So the durability is a big issue with him right now."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801683/article/mayock-john-ross-off-some-draft-boards-due-to-injuries
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 05:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hooker blew out his ACL...

Is this fake news? Because hes playing this weekend. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:45 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Is this fake news? Because hes playing this weekend. 

Different Hooker....and different kind of blowing....  Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:45 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Is this fake news? Because hes playing this weekend. 

My bad, it was a hamstring and he started on PUP, but I must have had him confused with another high draft pick.  I could have sworn it was him.  
Reply/Quote
They should draft Landon Dickerson from FSU in the first round next year

Two ACL repairs already under his belt.

Hell Ross had Microfracture, ACL and Shoulder surgery and we still took him too 10. Lol

We get zero production from 1st round picks. A big piece of the Bungles recipie for decades and decades of sustained un-success
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 08:26 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: They should draft Landon Dickerson from FSU in the first round next year

Two ACL repairs already under his belt.

Hell Ross had Microfracture, ACL and Should surgery and we still took him too 10. Lol

We get zero production from 1st round picks. A big piece of the Bungles recipie of decades and decades of sustained un-success

[Image: db79c97252e7eaffc0c90ecdd74ffc206eebe5d5_68.gif]

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:04 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Of getting zero or close to zero production from the bengals 1st round picks

Dennard
Ogbuehi
Jackson
Ross

If a team is consistently throwing draft picks into the fire as starters it likely means the teams roster sucks...

Also 3 of 4 of those guys you have on your list are getting alot of snaps this year....I think that's production.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Dennard
Ogbuehi
Jackson
Ross

Lay off the hippy lettuce.  Both Dennard and Jackson are making big contributions this year.  Ross is a rookie.  I'll give you Og but he still may end up being serviceable.  It takes a while for some players, this isn't pony league football.  
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 10:19 AM)Synric Wrote: If a team is consistently throwing draft picks into the fire as starters it likely means the teams roster sucks...

Also 3 of 4 of those guys you have on your list are getting alot of snaps this year....I think that's production.

Lol. Yeah playing your first round picks is a huge red flag

Fantastic excuse to help rationalize the bungles terrible 1st round draft production over the last 5 years
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2017, 05:00 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Lol. Yeah playing your first round picks is a huge red flag

Fantastic excuse to help rationalize the bungles terrible 1st round draft production over the last 5 years

Redshirting and slowly working the first round pick into the lineup happens across the league it's not just a Bengals thing.

And Jackson Dennard Ogbuehi are playing...So your premise they aren't playing their 1st round picks is false...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2017, 05:35 AM)Synric Wrote: Redshirting and slowly working the first round pick into the lineup happens across the league it's not just a Bengals thing.

And Jackson Dennard Ogbuehi are playing...So your premise they aren't playing their 1st round picks is false...

The premise is they get little to no production from their top picks in year 1; and you only have 5 years of control over your 1st round picks.

Bad teams can’t afford to redshirt their top draft talent. Especially when they don’t acquire free agents.

I don’t expect you to comprehend
Reply/Quote