Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Frank Pollack gone.
(01-17-2019, 10:23 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I did see a tweet that implied OC but it was quickly shot down by Allbright. He said 100% OC and highly likely. And the good news is that he was actually ranked one spot ahead of Pollack in the OL coach rankings this season. I’m hopeful this is what happens. I think our boy Joe Mixon might be happy again.

That is encouraging.

(01-17-2019, 10:30 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, I don't see the fit with OC. It's been 14 years since he's had his hand in any sort of offensive play-calling. The game has changed a lot since then. Meanwhile, he's been a top 3 O-line coach since then. 

.....I skimmed over his experience this morning, and this is a good point.  I was just spitballing there.....but ya never know.  Line coach would be the best fit, IMO.  I did find it odd that he was a QB and is coaching the line.  That would be the only thing that led me to believe he might be an OC candidate.  

I just still remember  "the dumbest team in America in terms of playing the game." LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: That is encouraging.

.....I skimmed over his experience this morning, and this is a good point.  I was just spitballing there.....but ya never know.  Line coach would be the best fit, IMO.  I did find it odd that he was a QB and is coaching the line.  That would be the only thing that led me to believe he might be an OC candidate.  

I just still remember  "the dumbest team in America in terms of playing the game." LMAO

It is very odd. I was really good at playing OLB, but as a coach, I teach the line better. It's weird. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 11:28 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: It is very odd. I was really good at playing OLB, but as a coach, I teach the line better. It's weird. 

You know, that's another good point.  I played OG primarily the entire time I played, and did some longsnapping and backup C.  I played a little DE here and there, and NT on goalline.  I coached a little bit after high school for my old Little League coach.  Myself and another former player coached the developmental squad....the young players that played at halftime....and assisted with the other two squads.  I helped coach line for the main team, but I was in charge of defense for the young kids, even though I was a reserve on defense.  Strange how that works out.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:23 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I did see a tweet that implied OC but it was quickly shot down by Allbright. He said 100% Oline Coach and highly likely. And the good news is that he was actually ranked one spot ahead of Pollack in the OL coach rankings this season. I’m hopeful this is what happens. I think our boy Joe Mixon might be happy again.

Man, i think we would all be happy with this, Maybe O-line coach/Assistant HC as this would be a promotion...

Then let Taylor call the plays similar to what Reid does in KC.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:06 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Please tell me they didn’t release him so they could bring Paul Alexander back...wouldn’t put anything past Mike Brown

But who will decide how a player is qualified to dispense ketchup? Somebody has to decide these things. Players simply cannot decide these things for themselves. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 05:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: But who will decide how a player is qualified to dispense ketchup? Somebody has to decide these things. Players simply cannot decide these things for themselves. 

Might be the goofiest thing a coach has ever said.  Imagine a grown man saying such a thing out loud.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Who was the Raiders Coach that broke someones Jaw wasn't he a OL coach at one point?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 05:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: But who will decide how a player is qualified to dispense ketchup? Somebody has to decide these things. Players simply cannot decide these things for themselves. 

Dude has an opportunity to go play at the big Ketchup Bottle Stadium now that Steelers have an OL coach opening and seem to be interested in our recent cast offs.
Reply/Quote
I apologize if someone already posted this:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/17/18186609/frank-pollacks-departure-hurts-the-bengals
Reply/Quote
Yea, we had a long discussion about it. Looks like Taylor is targeting former Nebraska head coach and current Redskins OL coach Bill Callahan.
Reply/Quote
Yards per carry numbers can be a little deceiving. It is hard to decide if the credit goes to the RB or the O-line.

Footballoutsiders uses a formula to grade the O-lines and RBs that gives more blame for stuffs and tackles or loss to the O-line and more credit for yards gained 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage to the RB. Based on this "Adjusted Line Yards" our O-line was 22 in run blocking. Our RBs were 3rd in the league in "open field yards" which accounted for our high yards-per-carry.

But our O-line did grade well (7th) in short yardage situations which is very important. My theory is that a team does not have to rush for a high number of yards, but it absolutely has to be able to run effectively in crucial short yardage situations.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 06:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Who was the Raiders Coach that broke someones Jaw wasn't he a OL coach at one point?

Tom Cable?

(01-17-2019, 06:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dude has an opportunity to go play at the big Ketchup Bottle Stadium now that Steelers have an OL coach opening and seem to be interested in our recent cast offs.

We can only hope.....

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yards per carry numbers can be a little deceiving.  It is hard to decide if the credit goes to the RB or the O-line.

Footballoutsiders uses a formula to grade the O-lines and RBs that gives more blame for stuffs and tackles or loss to the O-line and more credit for yards gained 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage to the RB.  Based on this "Adjusted Line Yards" our O-line was 22 in run blocking.  Our RBs were 3rd in the league in "open field yards" which accounted for our high yards-per-carry.

But our O-line did grade well (7th) in short yardage situations which is very important.  My theory is that a team does not have to rush for a high number of yards, but it absolutely has to be able to run effectively in crucial short yardage situations.

They had this debate on NFL radio one morning on the way to work. Does the line make the RB, or does the RB make the line. The concensus was a greatd RB can make a poor line look decent (ala Mixon), but a good line can make an average RB great... we need line help in just a couple of spots.
Reply/Quote
OUCH. This definitely puts a little damper on the offseason, so far.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yards per carry numbers can be a little deceiving. It is hard to decide if the credit goes to the RB or the O-line.

Footballoutsiders uses a formula to grade the O-lines and RBs that gives more blame for stuffs and tackles or loss to the O-line and more credit for yards gained 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage to the RB. Based on this "Adjusted Line Yards" our O-line was 22 in run blocking. Our RBs were 3rd in the league in "open field yards" which accounted for our high yards-per-carry.

But our O-line did grade well (7th) in short yardage situations which is very important. My theory is that a team does not have to rush for a high number of yards, but it absolutely has to be able to run effectively in crucial short yardage situations.

Thanks for this Fred, nice formula, actually alludes to something...

(01-18-2019, 12:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They had this debate on NFL radio one morning on the way to work. Does the line make the RB, or does the RB make the line. The concensus was a greatd RB can make a poor line look decent (ala Mixon), but a good line can make an average RB great... we need line help in just a couple of spots.

Agreed, i think we have something special in Mixon, thought so before but that really lends more credence to this.

Bring in Callahan as the O-line coach/Assistant HC like PA was, add a couple decent O-lineman and Mixon might really breakout next year. In my opinion he really got slighted this year in not being named All-Pro even though he led the AFC in rushing. For him to do this with a 22nd ranked run blocking O-line is impressive. We all know of the great Barry Sanders and what he did with a poor O-line, lets make Mixon's a good one for him and Gio.
Reply/Quote
I think we'll be fine. There's some good candidates out there and i want our new coach to have his man.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 10:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I apologize if someone already posted this:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/17/18186609/frank-pollacks-departure-hurts-the-bengals

If you were only looking in Jungle Noise, you may have missed it.  From now, until all of the coaching staff is named and settled in, all Bengal coaching staff related threads will be placed into this sub-forum.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Pollack is landing with the Jets

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 01:26 PM)pally Wrote: Pollack is landing with the Jets

Not surprising.  I don't think there was any doubt he would find  job.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 02:15 PM)McC Wrote: Not surprising.  I don't think there was any doubt he would find  job.

No doubt, wonder if PA finds a new job somewhere lol

Pitty the fools.
Reply/Quote