Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson Getting The Start
According to the home page it's big Fred getting the start at RT.

https://www.bengals.com/news/injury-update-fred-johnson-gets-call-at-rt-waynes-poised-to-return-as-bengals-sc

"In the previous two seasons, Johnson made five of his seven NFL starts at tackle, four on the left side and one on the right in games the Bengals went 4-1."

This is a huge opportunity for him. I would love to see Fred go out and take the starting job and look like a long term answer at RT. He will be a restricted free agent next year, hopefully he will capitalize and make us consider using a higher RFA tender on him.
Reply/Quote
I predict Fred will have a good game.At least I hope he does.He played in the game against the Ravens earlier in the season where the Bengals literally blew them out.Something like 41-17.
Reply/Quote
I'm curious to know if Carman has been taking any tackle reps in practice, and if so how he has fared. That's what he played at Clemson, so as a second round pick I would think he should be able to handle it in the pros. But the team said guard when they drafted him, so I want to know if they are steadfast that he must stay there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 02:43 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: According to the home page it's big Fred getting the start at RT.

https://www.bengals.com/news/injury-update-fred-johnson-gets-call-at-rt-waynes-poised-to-return-as-bengals-sc

"In the previous two seasons, Johnson made five of his seven NFL starts at tackle, four on the left side and one on the right in games the Bengals went 4-1."

This is a huge opportunity for him. I would love to see Fred go out and take the starting job and look like a long term answer at RT. He will be a restricted free agent next year, hopefully he will capitalize and make us consider using a higher RFA tender on him.

Man, I hope Fred did a better job staying ready than he did during COVID.  He was god-awful when he played G that game against the Browns.  
Reply/Quote
i never understood why Fred got so much love and hype around here. I would love to see him develop into a solid depth piece, but I have never seen him as a starter.

Pretty sure he was a guard with the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 02:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm curious to know if Carman has been taking any tackle reps in practice, and if so how he has fared.  That's what he played at Clemson, so as a second round pick I would think he should be able to handle it in the pros.  But the team said guard when they drafted him, so I want to know if they are steadfast that he must stay there.

He played LT at Clemson though correct? I'd say he probably still just needs time to develop.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: i never understood why Fred got so much love and hype around here.  I would love to see him develop into a solid depth piece, but I have never seen him as a starter.

Pretty sure he was a guard with the Steelers.

The rare physical tools and the rivalry. I'm a big fan of enormous OL who can just physically dominate our opponents. He is really close to Orlando Brown Jr and Trent Brown territory. And I love the idea of stealing a developmental OL prospect from our hated rivals and having him turn in to a quality player.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: i never understood why Fred got so much love and hype around here.

I agree Fred. You're definitely overhyped.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 02:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm curious to know if Carman has been taking any tackle reps in practice, and if so how he has fared.  That's what he played at Clemson, so as a second round pick I would think he should be able to handle it in the pros.  But the team said guard when they drafted him, so I want to know if they are steadfast that he must stay there.

To be fair, Carman played LT and this is RT.  They aren't moving Jonah.  

Carman is a real mystery.  I can't help but think that back injury may be a factor.  
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 05:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The rare physical tools and the rivalry. I'm a big fan of enormous OL who can just physically dominate our opponents. He is really close to Orlando Brown Jr and Trent Brown territory. And I love the idea of stealing a developmental OL prospect from our hated rivals and having him turn in to a quality player.

It's that last part we are having trouble with. Hopefully today is the start. 
Reply/Quote
This is Fred's third season in the NFL.

When looking at our options for the future I see more potential in Carman, Adeniji, and D'ante Smith than in Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2021, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is Fred's third season in the NFL.

When looking at our options for the future I see more potential in Carman, Adeniji, and D'ante Smith than in Johnson.

I agree, when looking to the future. But for today, Fred is probably the best option.
Reply/Quote
Bengals keep shaking it up hoping to get Yahtzee.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
How was he today?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 12:05 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: How was he today?

I don’t recall him getting smoked in pass protection so he must’ve been ok. Looked like Burrow had time for most of the game but the WRs must not have been open.

Right now I think the run blocking needs more work than the pass pro does
Reply/Quote
He was great by the eye test, if not better than great.

First glance was apparently, he and Carman had 4 pressures combined in 48 pass snaps, so we'll see when the official pressure numbers come out.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
“Casuals don't wanna hear it but Fred Johnson and Jackson Carman only allowed 4 total pressures between them on 48 combined pass-blocking snaps.

It's still pending review, but they both certainly passed the eye test”

https://twitter.com/pff_andrewr/status/1472747768271851521?s=21
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 12:10 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was great by the eye test, if not better than great.

First glance was apparently, he and Carman had 4 pressures combined in 48 pass snaps, so we'll see when the official pressure numbers come out.

Anyone know who the sacks were attributed to?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 12:17 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Anyone know who the sacks were attributed to?

I know on one of them JB just gave himself up. I was like WTF at first and them I was like I get it
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 12:17 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Anyone know who the sacks were attributed to?

Well one was Burrow sliding to keep the clock moving.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote