Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early.
(12-28-2019, 11:59 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: If they retain both coordinators and the OL coach that will be a huge negative

Most of us have universally accepted the fact that as long as Mike Brown is the President of this team, no dramatic changes for the better will happen.  Given that fate, and still being a fan of the team, a few of us have just learned to look for small improvements to be encouraged about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:34 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'd say stop the presses and throw a tentative parade if they actually got one over on pittsburgh.. We can all collectively count on no fingers how many times that's happened in the past 30-40 years.. 

In 2016 the Steelers were all set to draft WJIII when we took him right before them. They panicked as the clock was ticking and reached for Artie Burns. 

As to the OP: Pretty sure Jonah Williams will be the starting LT next year. Now Bobby Hart's contract is designed where we can cut him before next season and not take much of a hit. Would love to see FJ give him a run. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I realize just about everyone on this board except me and a few others have given up on Taylor, but I am looking forward to watching his moves between now and next season. Resigning Hopkins is a step in the right direction.

I would like to see him operate with better coordinators and position coaches. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:33 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't disagree with the evaluation aspect of it. 

What makes me skeptical is the people in charge of personnel here and there track record/historical tendencies.  They signed Hart as a stopgap because they had two of the worst OTs in the league.  Hart was slightly better and a lot more dependable.  He proceeds to hold down the fort, play extremely poorly, albeit on a consistent basis, and then 2018 ends.  I honest to god thought he was done here.  Then, suddenly he's our starting RT for possibly the next 3 seasons.  

Players don't have to be good for the inbreds to value them.  They can look the part, not get hurt, and be grateful to have jobs and the family will eat it up.  Anything that prevents them from putting in the work of a real NFL front office during free agency.

I hope that Fred Johnson is Willie Anderson reborn.  I hope he gives us what Villanueva gave Pittsburgh when he came out of nowhere and became a solid starting LT.  Unfortunately, I get a familiar feeling from their praise of him that makes me think it's likely that upgrades to the o-line are not forthcoming.  

The new practice severely limit contact. My question is how does a head coach get a good luck at backups (when the team has 1 win and 14 losses) like Johnson if not in real games (not preseason) against 1st team defensive starters?

Same for Finley on offense, I think it is the best way to get a true evaluation of a back ups talent level so I like the idea of trying these guys out with our 1st team against their 1st team.

Why not start figuring our strengths and weaknesses of our bench prior to 2020 since we have the opportunity?

Maybe the question is not is Johnson a starting LT, but a swing tackle in the NFL that could develop into a starting OT in with experience. Same for Finley, no he is not a starting caliber QB right now, but can he be a viable backup who may develop into a starter? Good questions to get answered with live game action in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 01:49 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2

Not necessarily, apparently Johnson did well enough last Sunday to earn "significantly more snaps at either Tackle" this week per ZT. Taylor also mentioned Johnson would be a very good candidate as a swing Tackle next year...

Or maybe press Hart at RT?   I don't know why so many scoff at things like this...pitt did the same thing here with Villenueva and he has been a starter for them for some time.  
Reply/Quote
With this F.O. something is better than nothing, because we usually get nothing or next to it. If he doesn't work out no biggie.
Reply/Quote
What I can't figure out is why Dolegala isn't being given an evaluation. From a purely football perspective it doesn't make sense unless he's dinged up or still in la la land in terms of the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 10:21 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The Steelers are a million times better at scouting OL talent than us. Admitting that and just taking a guy they liked can’t be any worse than what we normally do to select OL. I’m all for it

This x 100
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:41 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: What I can't figure out is why Dolegala isn't being given an evaluation.  From a purely football perspective it doesn't make sense unless he's dinged up or still in la la  land in terms of the playbook.

That's where I'm at...

I don't really care about Dolegala.

What was the point of yanking Dalton to see what you have and then put him back??

Was it part of tanking or was it a real evaluation?

If they were trying to fully evaluate why not leave Finley in or switch to Dolegala?

It's stupid.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:41 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: What I can't figure out is why Dolegala isn't being given an evaluation.  From a purely football perspective it doesn't make sense unless he's dinged up or still in la la  land in terms of the playbook.

Maybe he is simply not ready and putting him in a game right now may set him back. 

He is a 3rd string NFL rookie QB who was undrafted. To think he is an NFL starter in year one is very far fetched.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe he is simply not ready and putting him in a game right now may set him back. 

He is a 3rd string NFL rookie QB who was undrafted. To think he is an NFL starter in year one is very far fetched.

Evaluating someonein a meaningless game isn't a signal he's arrived.  I'm not assuming Johnson is a starter at this point either, though I hope he proves otherwise.
Reply/Quote

He's evaluated every week in practice. Obviously they do not believe he is ready.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:33 AM)samhain Wrote: What makes me skeptical is the people in charge of personnel here and there track record/historical tendencies. 

We get it.  We get it.

Bengals play Johnson .  .  squeal about their "dumpster diving"

Bengals don't play Johnson .  .  squeal about how Bengals refuse to evaluate players.

Basicall no matter what the Bengals do it will be wrong. 
Reply/Quote
What’s the deal with this “inbred” nonsense?

Isn’t that kind of insulting towards Paul Brown (and yeah I know Mike does that enough himself).

Can’t we just stick to saying the Browns and Blackburns suck at running the team and not wish death upon them or say ridiculous things about inbreeding?

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 02:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s the deal with this “inbred” nonsense?

Isn’t that kind of insulting towards Paul Brown (and yeah I know Mike does that enough himself).

Can’t we just stick to saying the Browns and Blackburns suck at running the team and not wish death upon them or say ridiculous things about inbreeding?

Nah, I'm going to keep calling them that.  I think it's a fairly well known fact that they aren't literally sleeping with their sisters and cousins, therefore it's not any kind of assertion of fact.  

Their approach is antiquated and fearful of any influence outside of the family, hence the term inbred.  I didn't start using it, but whoever did deserves kudos, because it's hilarious.

Also, I give zero shits about the Brown family or their "dignity", much as they give zero about what we as fans think about the way they do business.  I'll gladly and unapologetically insult them in any way I please.  They're fortunate to be in a town with tame fans/sports media that allows them to operate with minimal national/local criticism.  They would get much worse in New York, Boston, or Chicago.  

If anything, they deserve more hostility, not less, and I'm happy to amp that up.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are actually plenty of members here who are capable of criticizing the Bengals for specififc reasons.  They actually do some logical analysis instead of just repeatedly squealing "No matter what the Bengals do it is wrong!!" and they don't feel the need to use childish terms like "the inbreds". 

I can provide a hundred posts where I myself criticize Bengals players, coachs, and fron office.  Posters like you just gum up the works for people who actually want to analyze what the team is doing.

Good for them.  

There are only a few such as yourself who will always be here to cherry pick crap stats and act like they only suck due to dumb luck.  

To each their own, though.  You seem to revel in the team's failure and the platform it provides you for virtue-signaling and "football knowledge".  

Also, how is criticizing a specific move like starting Fred Johnson not specific?  More twisting and cherry picking from your end.  Expected, as usual.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 02:38 PM)samhain Wrote: Nah, I'm going to keep calling them that.  I think it's a fairly well known fact that they aren't literally sleeping with their sisters and cousins, therefore it's not any kind of assertion of fact.  

Their approach is antiquated and fearful of any influence outside of the family, hence the term inbred.  I didn't start using it, but whoever did deserves kudos, because it's hilarious.

Also, I give zero shits about the Brown family or their "dignity", much as they give zero about what we as fans think about the way they do business.  I'll gladly and unapologetically insult them in any way I please.  They're fortunate to be in a town with tame fans/sports media that allows them to operate with minimal national/local criticism.  They would get much worse in New York, Boston, or Chicago.  

If anything, they deserve more hostility, not less, and I'm happy to amp that up.

That has nothing to do with “inbreeding.” It’s called nepotism, and it’s rampant in all kinds of businesses.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 01:49 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2

Not necessarily, apparently Johnson did well enough last Sunday to earn "significantly more snaps at either Tackle" this week per ZT. Taylor also mentioned Johnson would be a very good candidate as a swing Tackle next year...

Per Zac Taylor! No much credibility in that statement then. He liked Hart also and even the casual fan could see that Hart just didn't have it.

When you compare a guy to bottom feeder players it's hard believe he's anything but a bottom feeder. Maybe he skims above the bottom feeders barely.

We've been through this crap all season long starting with Hart, then Sample in the draft, then Willis, etc. The idea of actually upgrading the talent of the team doesn't seem to exist outside the draft and this team has been making bad draft selections.

The simple fact is that Johnson is cheap.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We get it.  We get it.

Bengals play Johnson .  .  squeal about their "dumpster diving"

Bengals don't play Johnson .  .  squeal about how Bengals refuse to evaluate players.

Basicall no matter what the Bengals do it will be wrong. 

With 1 win, yes, pretty much everything they are doing is wrong, fully supported by the stats of their record.

Reply/Quote
Smart move.

The Bengals coaching staff know they need to attack the offensive line for next season and this gives them a look at one of their younger guys headed into the offseason. They should let Isaiah Prince play Right Tackle too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote