Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early.
(12-29-2019, 08:48 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I agree Zac inherited a shit show. But I wouldn’t mind Jay Gruden coming back here, this time as head coach.

Because he did so much in Washington?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 09:47 PM)samhain Wrote: I think the hyping of Westerman was more of a fan thing than a team thing.  The team was pretty reluctant to use him when other options were available to them.  

I hope Johnson turns out to be a fine player.  I also hope that they don't look at a couple of decent games at the end of December and decide that they don't need to add another lineman in the draft/free agency.

From what I've seen of him, Johnson looks like a player worth putting in the developmental time with.  Not only is the dude huge, but he appears to be incredibly strong, and has that naturally aggressive feel to him that you look for, when you want to run the ball with authority.  I'm relatively certain that the Steelers were likely sad to see him picked up by a division rival.  As for Westerman?  He was given every opportunity to make a showing, and step up into a role.  Obviously, things didn't go the way he or the team likely wished they had.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with the move and I'm glad they're keeping their eyes open. That said, I want to see some aggression in free agency to address this line. Moves like this aren't enough. With big salaries like Andy, AJ and Glenn coming off the books, this team is about to have a ton of free money sitting around, and the line has been an issue for 4 years. Fix it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 09:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because he did so much in Washington?

He took the Redskins to the playoffs, and lost to Aaron Rodgers (no shame there). And had a couple seasons above .500. He obviously didn’t set the league on fire, but I do think he’s a good coach. He had one of the only owners in the league that rivals Mike Brown for the worst.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 09:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: From what I've seen of him, Johnson looks like a player worth putting in the developmental time with.  Not only is the dude huge, but he appears to be incredibly strong, and has that naturally aggressive feel to him that you look for, when you want to run the ball with authority.  I'm relatively certain that the Steelers were likely sad to see him picked up by a division rival.  As for Westerman?  He was given every opportunity to make a showing, and step up into a role.  Obviously, things didn't go the way he or the team likely wished they had.  

I hope so.  Pittsburgh always seems to manage to find decent tackles without spending crazy high draft picks on them.  Gilbert (gone now) and Villanueva weren't highly touted guys.  Beachum wasn't either when they had him.  The last guy they drafted high was Adams, and he sucked.  

Maybe they're onto something.  Maybe Fred Johnson was the next heir apparent in that system.  

If he sticks, then it's nice to see a return to the mammoth OT the Bengals used to have on the right side.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He took the Redskins to the playoffs, and lost to Aaron Rodgers (no shame there). And had a couple seasons above .500. He obviously didn’t set the league on fire, but I do think he’s a good coach. He had one of the only owners in the league that rivals Mike Brown for the worst.

I wouldn't be mad if gruden came back to the organization in some capacity.  I must say, though, I've never quite gotten over his brilliant strategy of not using AJ Green in the first half of a playoff game.  Has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen a coach come up with.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 09:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because he did so much in Washington?

He did well here and he has a relationship with the Brown family already.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:01 AM)samhain Wrote: I wouldn't be mad if gruden came back to the organization in some capacity.  I must say, though, I've never quite gotten over his brilliant strategy of not using AJ Green in the first half of a playoff game.  Has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen a coach come up with.

Yeah, that was bad...

Reply/Quote
If Fred Johnson can help solidify the RT or swing OT spot, that definitely helps. The Bengals don't have enough draft picks to cover all the needs adequately.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hell with swing tackle, I watched him every single snap. He wasn't perfect, but what I found remarkable was his ability to regain leverage when it appeared he was losing it. He looks very agile on pulling plays. I didn't keep count but I can remember at least 3 pancakes. Total monster on the second level. AS people have mentioned, the best accolade for an offensive lineman, is to not notice him.
Michael Jordan looks like he is starting to get it as well.

HE NEEDS TO BE OUR STARTING T FROM THIS DAY FORWARD. Don't care which side. Our new first rd T can go to the right side for all I care, but Johnson proved with live competition he belongs on the field over every other option we have at T.

The most glaring weakness on the this team, I see being a strength next season as the young guys mature.....
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 10:52 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: Hell with swing tackle, I watched him every single snap. He wasn't perfect, but what I found remarkable was his ability to regain leverage when it appeared he was losing it. He looks very agile on pulling plays. I didn't keep count but I can remember at least 3 pancakes. Total monster on the second level. AS people have mentioned, the best accolade for an offensive lineman, is to not notice him.
Michael Jordan looks like he is starting to get it as well.

HE NEEDS TO BE OUR STARTING T FROM THIS DAY FORWARD. Don't care which side. Our new first rd T can go to the right side for all I care, but Johnson proved with live competition he belongs on the field over every other option we have at T.

The most glaring weakness on the this team, I see being a strength next season as the young guys mature.....

Problem is that Hart had a VERY good 2nd half as well; didn't he pitch 2 straight shutouts?

Jonah should be starting snap 1 at LT and have these two guys duke it out (along with a draft pick, as we can always use competition) for RT.

Hart's contract makes it easy to cut him if he's not up to snuff and he's perfectly fine as a backup.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:01 AM)samhain Wrote: I wouldn't be mad if gruden came back to the organization in some capacity.  I must say, though, I've never quite gotten over his brilliant strategy of not using AJ Green in the first half of a playoff game.  Has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen a coach come up with.

It would not bother me if he came back as OC....
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:59 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Problem is that Hart had a VERY good 2nd half as well; didn't he pitch 2 straight shutouts?

Jonah should be starting snap 1 at LT and have these two guys duke it out (along with a draft pick, as we can always use competition) for RT.

Hart's contract makes it easy to cut him if he's not up to snuff and he's perfectly fine as a backup.

Yep the Bengals are expected to lose both Glenn and Andre Smith, so they'll need to get another OT anyway.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep the Bengals are expected to lose both Glenn and Andre Smith, so they'll need to get another OT anyway.

They lost 'dre weeks ago Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep the Bengals are expected to lose both Glenn and Andre Smith, so they'll need to get another OT anyway.

Addition by subtraction. Jonah, Johnson and a draft pick to be named later vs. Glenn and Smith.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: They lost 'dre weeks ago Wink

I know, but I mean as in not bringing him back.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Could we see him move to LG next season?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:04 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Could we see him move to LG next season?

Johnson was projected as a guard when he was drafted, so primarily playing OG while being backup OT wouldn't be shocking.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Johnson was projected as a guard when he was drafted, so primarily playing OG while being backup OT wouldn't be shocking.

The coaches apparently told him he was a T when he first showed up and he's worked at LT and RT exclusively.  He's almost 6'8"and a lot of coaches don't like IOL that are that tall.

My guess is that that they still like Jordan at LG.  He does have the physical tools you look for and a year in a pro S&C program should help him.  
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Addition by subtraction. Jonah, Johnson and a draft pick to be named later vs. Glenn and Smith.

I strongly doubt Hart is going anywhere.  
Reply/Quote