Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early.
(12-28-2019, 03:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Per Zac Taylor! No much credibility in that statement then. He liked Hart also and even the casual fan could see that Hart just didn't have it.

When you compare a guy to bottom feeder players it's hard believe he's anything but a bottom feeder. Maybe he skims above the bottom feeders barely.

We've been through this crap all season long starting with Hart, then Sample in the draft, then Willis, etc. The idea of actually upgrading the talent of the team doesn't seem to exist outside the draft and this team has been making bad draft selections.

The simple fact is that Johnson is cheap.

I'm pretty sure anyone that watched the game last week, and without an agenda, would agree with Zac that Johnson played well and deserves more looks.....
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm pretty sure anyone that watched the game last week, and without an agenda, would agree with Zac that Johnson played well and deserves more looks.....

It wasn't on TV here even though I live only a hundred miles from Miami.

So, I didn't watch it. But I don't believe anything ZT says. I've learned already that he's not a good judge of talent. Maybe Turner told him that Johnson deserved more looks. I just don't believe that Taylor could come up with that all by himself.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I watched a majority of the game, and didn't notice this guy. I guess that is a good thing in this case. However, we were playing Miami... don't get too excited about this 'trash' we found.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It wasn't on TV here even though I live only a hundred miles from Miami.

So, I didn't watch it. But I don't believe anything ZT says. I've learned already that he's not a good judge of talent. Maybe Turner told him that Johnson deserved more looks. I just don't believe that Taylor could come up with that all by himself.

I watched it and outside of saying to myself "who the heck is this guy at LT", he played a decent game and kept Andy clean.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Per Zac Taylor! No much credibility in that statement then. He liked Hart also and even the casual fan could see that Hart just didn't have it.

When you compare a guy to bottom feeder players it's hard believe he's anything but a bottom feeder. Maybe he skims above the bottom feeders barely.

We've been through this crap all season long starting with Hart, then Sample in the draft, then Willis, etc. The idea of actually upgrading the talent of the team doesn't seem to exist outside the draft and this team has been making bad draft selections.

Not cheap players already have jobs.  If not cheap players don't have jobs right now then they are expensive bad or broken players.  Johnson, at this point, is exactly the type of player they need to evaluate.  He's a young apparently versatile lineman.  it may turn out that he is only marginally better than who we already had but we find out.  Or we find out that he has the ability to be a good lineman in the NFL and it turns out we made a good signing.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

WhoDey2  All I'm saying is maybe he's better than Bobby Hart. Probably better than Bobby Hart. Is he an All-Pro? No. They may get a much better OT in the draft.  So then you've got 2 good starting Tackles and a serviceable swing back-up. I'm not advocating that Johnson be a starter next year...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Hopefully we have a steal in Fred.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 01:49 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2

Not necessarily, apparently Johnson did well enough last Sunday to earn "significantly more snaps at either Tackle" this week per ZT. Taylor also mentioned Johnson would be a very good candidate as a swing Tackle next year...

Didn't they also make some statements not that long ago about how high they are on Michael Jordan's future at G? That guy's been terrible.

(12-28-2019, 01:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: Despite Hobson's narrative, it's not uncommon for teams who are out of it to throw some young players into the fire so they can evaluate them in game action.  You've gotta find out if the kid can compete for a starting job or be a viable swing T.

That's how we ended up with Bobby Hart as a starting T. They evaluated him vastly different than everyone's else. They were wrong. Do we trust them to get this one right?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I thought dude held his own today
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 06:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought dude held his own today

I don’t recall noticing him. So that’s good.

Reply/Quote

(12-29-2019, 06:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t recall noticing him. So that’s good.

Seems to me he had a decent outing. Perhaps we found something ?
Reply/Quote
Didn’t notice him. Damn it n the wife deleted the game so now I css as hr rewatch it. Fml.
Reply/Quote
I just hope he isn't another Christian Westerman that the front office will try to sell us so they don't have to do anything in FA or the draft and he turns out to be nothing.

that said, he looked solid for the most part. Even had a couple of nice blocks for Mixon. Would've liked for him to get some run at RT before the game ended.
Reply/Quote
I kept an eye on him during the game when I could.

The only bad play I recall was a play he got beat to the inside. Fortunately it didn't impact the play as AD had rolled some to the right and got rid of the ball before the defender could make a play on him.
Reply/Quote
Still should draft a right OT in 2nd round and hopefully Johnson's play will allow Bengals to cut Bobby Hart and his ridiculous contract.
Reply/Quote

If he can at a minimum be a good swing backup OT for us, add a Steeler's loss and a great add from FA.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 07:46 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Still should draft a right OT in 2nd round and hopefully Johnson's play will allow Bengals to cut Bobby Hart and his ridiculous contract.

I suggest you check out starting RT contracts prior to making ridiculous statements.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 08:28 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I suggest you check out starting RT contracts prior to making ridiculous statements.

I'm sure that was meant relative to performance, not relative to the rest of the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:15 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’m still on the ZT train as well. One year with a very late start getting his crew together while being handed the leftovers of Lewis was against him. Plus, it takes more than 1yr to fix this mess. I do think he should give up the play calling tho because he’s trying to carry too much. 

Starting Johnson is a good move and look forward to seeing how he performs.

I agree Zac inherited a shit show. But I wouldn’t mind Jay Gruden coming back here, this time as head coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 07:21 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I just hope he isn't another Christian Westerman that the front office will try to sell us so they don't have to do anything in FA or the draft and he turns out to be nothing.

that said, he looked solid for the most part. Even had a couple of nice blocks for Mixon. Would've liked for him to get some run at RT before the game ended.

I think the hyping of Westerman was more of a fan thing than a team thing.  The team was pretty reluctant to use him when other options were available to them.  

I hope Johnson turns out to be a fine player.  I also hope that they don't look at a couple of decent games at the end of December and decide that they don't need to add another lineman in the draft/free agency.
Reply/Quote